Feeney International

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Taggart is off watching our international jet setter.

What are you thoughts?

Mine as follows:

Shot at all: 10/1

Shot on target: 20/1

Goal: 1000/1

Injury: 4/6 (book closed due to mass betting)

Beats a defender with blinding pace: 3333/1

Poll anyone?

I know we knew he was a well established International before he arrived here but Warren's priorities are in the wrong place. He's yet to establish himself as an asset at the club. Has not scored in ANY game since his arrival. I think part of the problem is that he's obviously struggling off the field with his family still being in South Wales and has only made a handful of starts in the 10 games so far.

Given that we've blown a fair chunk of our budget on him, it's turning out to be a bit of a nightmare for all concerned. I hope it comes good for him but after such a fractured start I don't think it will unless he really knuckles down - he's been zero goal threat so far - one tad of encouragement is he's already got a number of assists.

Hopefully he'll have an extended run through to the next International break, the niggles will sort themselves out and he'll bag a few.

Frustrating.

when he came on Saturday as a sub I immediately thought , he's only doing that so he can play in the next international, as somewhat glamorous one against Italy in belfast.

For me also, his prioirties are in the wrong place.

He's got a lot of catching up to do, to get me on his side from now on in.

I think he can come good, and I hope he does. At best he could lead the line well, at worst he's not a million miles from Paul Warne (and there's a player who I was always surprised was rated as highly as he was, although that's not meant to suggest I think he was a bad player at all).

he's probably our most expensive and worst signing

Seriously? After six games, he's worse than Killen, Kane, Moulden, etc? And despite not costing a penny in transfer fees, he's our most expensive signing? Come on, keep a sense of perspective.

Seriously? After six games, he's worse than Killen, Kane, Moulden, etc? And despite not costing a penny in transfer fees, he's our most expensive signing? Come on, keep a sense of perspective.

this season in terms of wages

Well in that case, yeah, hard to argue with you! Although when the competition is Jones and Jarrett (and Dikaba and Christophe if someone wants to be picky) it's not like there's a lot to compare against.

I still think that he will come good. And I hope he doesn't end up a boo-boy, which seems to happen all too quickly at this club, and we write off players way too quickly. He's a proven international (yeah, maybe not with a top twenty country) with a reasonable track record and a two-year deal - to write him off now could leave him a vast drain on his wages sat in the reserves like a balder Worthington.

Edited by Crusoe

Well in that case, yeah, hard to argue with you! Although when the competition is Jones and Jarrett (and Dikaba and Christophe if someone wants to be picky) it's not like there's a lot to compare against.

I still think that he will come good. And I hope he doesn't end up a boo-boy, which seems to happen all too quickly at this club, and we write off players way too quickly. He's a proven international (yeah, maybe not with a top twenty country) with a reasonable track record and a two-year deal - to write him off now could leave him a vast drain on his wages sat in the reserves like a balder Worthington.

I hope he turns good for us but from what ive seen, which is nothing as was said, its hard to have much optimism, especially when hes missing so many games off on international duty.

I don't think he would have got much of a look in had Bembo not been injured, i hope he comes back and picks up where he left off. He is going to be a big player for us and is a big miss.

He got a bad deal on Saturday off Dickov - he was brought on when we were doing okay and things shifted around and the team were poor after. It wasn't his fault. He's not been that bad in the other games I've seen as well. It's not worth getting on his back.

He got a bad deal on Saturday off Dickov - he was brought on when we were doing okay and things shifted around and the team were poor after. It wasn't his fault. He's not been that bad in the other games I've seen as well. It's not worth getting on his back.

Do you not think he looks heavy-legged though? Kinda like he's running in an invisible pot of jam.

I think the problem lies in the fact that he was touted as having pace to burn yet looks slow and cumbersome and plays with his back to goal.

He has set up a few goals though! He hasnt been playing for a long while so lets give him some time and see what happens, if he doesnt improve then, meh, who cares the gamble didnt pay off lets move on.

That is a worry; as every season we have to have one it seems. But; in fairness; he hasn’t exactly helped himself thus far has he?

Bumped into WF at the Tesco Petrol Station at Westwood after the Bolton pre-season game; and me & my mate had a chat with him as he & us filled up our cars (he drives a Black Golf Sport for those who care!) He was in a temporary cast after the knock he picked up in that game; and he said to us that it would mean he wouldn’t be linking up with the N.I squad but “but that was fine by him as Oldham pay my wages & I need to establish myself here first” – he then went on to say that he was happy to be at the club; playing games again; and that international football wasn’t his priority as “I’ve already got my caps”.

That sounded pretty positive stuff; and me & my mate went away thinking he had his head screwed on & his priorities sorted. Since then; he’s joined up with every N.I squad and I would say he’s started more for them than he has for us.

It’s a difficult balancing act I guess; Club Vs Country; but as a new player at a new club; a club in fairness where you’re looking to revive a flagging career; I would say that he (WF) has made the wrong choices thus far – he should be here; playing games for us & trying to look like a striker who will score goals at this level again.

Do you not think he looks heavy-legged though? Kinda like he's running in an invisible pot of jam.

That’s a fair assessment for me – the ravages of time may be clouding my memory but I could have sworn that when he played against us for Stockport, Luton & Bournemouth; he was a “quickie”; an on the shoulder striker who ran the channels and arrived in the box to finish moves he had almost started himself? It now seems he lost any semblance of pace; and looks to be a back-to-goal type. But he’s not big enough; strong enough or good enough in the air to do that role for me.

He has lots to do for me. I haven’t yet written him off; nor will I – but he has thus far been a massive disappointment and needs to sort his priorities out and start to earn his decent wage by playing games & scoring goals for the club who pays his wage.

Edited by slystallone

Thing is, he can't really pick and choose whether to play international games. He either does, or he retires/gets dropped by the national team manager for being picky. I don't blame Feeney; this was entirely foreseeable and should have factored into Dickov and Corney's thinking before signing him.