No sub keeper

Crossley has had a number of fitness issues while he's been here, makes sense to have a goalkeeper on the bench just incase. Fleming as far as I know doesn't have these problems.

Last season instead of having Bell in goal when Crossley was injured again Shez brought in O'Donnell on loan. Shez didn't rate Bell at the time then and it doesn't look like he does this season either.

From what I've seen of Bell this season and that's only the warmup at Peterborough and that goalkeeping coaching video in pre-season he doesn't look upto scratch and he's not very tall either. Unless he has the keeping ability of Gary Kelly I don't see him being that good.

Crossley has had a number of fitness issues while he's been here, makes sense to have a goalkeeper on the bench just incase. Fleming as far as I know doesn't have these problems.

Last season instead of having Bell in goal when Crossley was injured again Shez brought in O'Donnell on loan. Shez didn't rate Bell at the time then and it doesn't look like he does this season either.

From what I've seen of Bell this season and that's only the warmup at Peterborough and that goalkeeping coaching video in pre-season he doesn't look upto scratch and he's not very tall either. Unless he has the keeping ability of Gary Kelly I don't see him being that good.

Then why would we give him a prof contract

Why would we have lost at P'boro if he'd been sent off ? How many shots exactly did they have on target after that ? and how many of them did Flem have to make great saves? answers 2 & 0 ?

Greg did have to make a couple of good saves off CMS. Not to mention the fact that if Tayls (or whoever else) was in goal you'd expect a few more efforts to be pinged in from 30 yards to test him...I know if we were playing a side with an outfield player in goal we'd be encouraging the boys to shoot from places most keepers would make comfortable saves from.

Its not ideal but playing for a draw is an option. Of course, its never ideal going down to ten men either. If a keeper is sent off, you'll generally always have to make a sub, be it as above, or be it for a new keeper. You're always going to lose one outfield player.

Whilst that is true, there's still a difference between being one man short and having an actual GK in net, and being one man short and having a midfielder in goal.

Guest sheridans_world
Whilst that is true, there's still a difference between being one man short and having an actual GK in net, and being one man short and having a midfielder in goal.

Yes I dont doubt that, but if you have some inexperienced young goalie on the bench (Josh Bell esq) then you could risk it and have more options in the outfield. On the odd chance your keeper gets injured/killed/sent off/boo'ed/has a mental breakdown/decides he is going to become an actor at halftime/gets a contract offer to sign for Doncaster, you have a back-up 'plan' even if it doesnt include a keeper.

I aint by any means saying its ideal, but if you dont have a half-decent 'keeper, may as well have 5 outfield subs*.

* I in no-way accept any liability if Fleming gets injured/killed/sent off/boo'ed/has a mental breakdown/decides he is going to become an actor at halftime/gets a contract offer to sign for Doncaster against Crewe**

**Or any game thereafter.

Crossley played quite a few times last season where he was clearly injured, away at Cheltenham the whole team knew they had to give him extra protection when his leg went after about 5 minutes. I think if we are going to have Crossley as a coach as well as a player, you would want him to have some young lads to work with, but so far it looks like Shez isn't convinced with what we've got.

How come Bell hasn't been picked for the bench for the last two games?

Didn't realise he wasn't a sub at Posh until got back from the game, but assumed it was a last minute change or something and he couldn't be picked (despite being assured Norm injured himself getting off the bus, thus before teamsheets were handed in, and the fact Bell warmed up). Then he wasn't selected on Saturday either. Bearing in mind Fleming could easily have got sent off at Posh it was very surprising that the worry didn't lead to having a sub against Orient, and it was heart in mouth time again when Greg brought Jarvis down.

I don't get it. Is Bell not deemed to be better than whoever our 'outfield GK' is? If Norm was fit then we would have had a sub keeper on Saturday, it should be no different.

One mistake in front of our fans and the lad would be crucified i dont blame shez for keeping him away from the first team squad while he is young.

Guest sheridans_world
Crossley played quite a few times last season where he was clearly injured, away at Cheltenham the whole team knew they had to give him extra protection when his leg went after about 5 minutes. I think if we are going to have Crossley as a coach as well as a player, you would want him to have some young lads to work with, but so far it looks like Shez isn't convinced with what we've got.

I agree, I think 'keeper is somewhere we have been lacking for a few seasons. From what I have seem of Fleming, he is good, so finally we have two decent 'keepers. Unfortunatley, Crossley is getting past it, we need to bring in another young talent to surpass Crossley when he is finally past it (next season?/season after?)