Prem Survival Sunday Thread

The fit Michael Owen with pace is a class player amongst the best finishers in the world.

The fit Michael Owen who lost a yard of pace could easily do a job for one of the top 4 in the Premiership.

The Michael Owen who is always injured? That's the problem. Not the actual talent or goalscoring potential.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fit Michael Owen with pace is a class player amongst the best finishers in the world.

The fit Michael Owen who lost a yard of pace could easily do a job for one of the top 4 in the Premiership.

The Michael Owen who is always injured? That's the problem. Not the actual talent or goalscoring potential.

Doesn't matter how good you were though does it? Chris Killen was a very talented player who came to nothing due to being crocked... there's countless others and just because he was once a great player doesn't mean he's worth anything now.

If I was a lower level Premiership manager I'd throw him a crap deal and hope he doesn't get anything better... and I do mean crap... no pay without playing, little pay without goals and a giant get out clause come January if he's not been fit enough to play.

Doesn't matter how good you were though does it? Chris Killen was a very talented player who came to nothing due to being crocked... there's countless others and just because he was once a great player doesn't mean he's worth anything now.

If I was a lower level Premiership manager I'd throw him a crap deal and hope he doesn't get anything better... and I do mean crap... no pay without playing, little pay without goals and a giant get out clause come January if he's not been fit enough to play.

Contradictory?

Contradictory?

No... You get him in and try and play him... but as has been seen at Newcastle - an unfit Michael Owen will do more harm than just cost you money if you're not playing him. He attracts attention, fans will bemoan his lack of chances even if the Manager knows he's not good enough and he will generally have an negative qualitative effect on the team/club. As a result I'd set it up so that if by January he's not contributed he can be binned off.

No... You get him in and try and play him... but as has been seen at Newcastle - an unfit Michael Owen will do more harm than just cost you money if you're not playing him. He attracts attention, fans will bemoan his lack of chances even if the Manager knows he's not good enough and he will generally have an negative qualitative effect on the team/club. As a result I'd set it up so that if by January he's not contributed he can be binned off.

But... IF he is fit he can single handedly keep a team up.

I guess it is a juggling act. I'd bin him myself, but I can understand why any team from about Fulham down would take him on.

I fully agree about the unwanted attention, similar-ish to Windyarse.

Exactly, so whilst I'd only offer him a deal where he gets paid to play I'd want to make sure he's got a clause kicking him out if he's pap.

No sympathy for the team, and to an extent, the fans.

If they dont get back up within two seasons, given the level of debt at the club, I think they are in deep trouble.

100 percent take this back

They were just saying on the radio how short sighted Newcastle fans are, wanting to appoint a manager on the basis that their Geordie, purely out of sentiment, and have hounded out many other proven managers, and how shearer was clearly not qualified, and also pointing out the fact that Shearer coming in has had no impact whatsoever in the teams performance.

Newcastle fan rings in and disagrees.

"Shearer could not have done anything with that budget, nobody could have"

:rant.sml:

Sam Alardyce, a manager they hounded out, transformed Bolton from a Championship side to a prem side challenging for a place in europe on probably half of newcastles budget, and manages to keep blackburn in the prem again on a lower budget. Next

"I think shearer was qualified for the position"

From the guy on Radio, "well unless these three years have bypassed me, where has shearer gone to learn his managerial graft"

Reply, silence..............

"But we have given the other managers a chance like and it didnt work"

:ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

Yeh like they hounded proven managers like Allardyce out in 8 months, souness in 18 months, despite souness winning 9 games on trot getting them to fa cup semis and uefa cup quarter finals.

All is I will say is hope they enjoy their trip to scunthorpe on a cold tues night.

[/i]

Edited by Lookers_Carl

They were just saying on the radio how short sighted Newcastle fans are, wanting to appoint a manager on the basis that their Geordie, purely out of sentiment, and have hounded out many other proven managers, and how shearer was clearly not qualified, and also pointing out the fact that Shearer coming in has had no impact whatsoever in the teams performance.

Sam Alardyce, a manager they hounded out, transformed Bolton from a Championship side to a prem side challenging for a place in europe on probably half of newcastles budget, and manages to keep blackburn in the prem again on a lower budget. Next

From the guy on Radio, "well unless these three years have bypassed me, where has shearer gone to learn his managerial graft"

Yeh like they hounded proven managers like Allardyce out in 8 months, souness in 18 months, despite souness winning 9 games on trot getting them to fa cup semis and uefa cup quarter finals.

All is I will say is hope they enjoy their trip to scunthorpe on a cold tues night.

[/i]

Allardyce wanted to build the club up from the bottom...he didn't even get enough time to have his car park reservation plate made or to establish his ass groove in his office chair. What a bunch of plonkers, yer reap what you sow - that's why I would have had a wry smile if Ronnie had took the bin dippers up - How can you get rid of a manager after a few months? It's madness. Shearer was bound to fail, he's blamed everybody but himself but the fact is he had 8 games to win ONE extra point - he failed. No one is bigger than the arrogant cock that is Alan Shearer - Owen fit or not should have been wheeled out and told to justify his massive wages. As I say 8 games to gain ONE extra point. Unforgivable imo and if you look at their squad and the players they will lose and what they are likely to have left - they will do a Leeds I guarantee it.

PS Not gonna make that nice profit now are we Ashley? Yer fat tw@t!

Allardyce wanted to build the club up from the bottom...he didn't even get enough time to have his car park reservation plate made or to establish his ass groove in his office chair. What a bunch of plonkers, yer reap what you sow - that's why I would have had a wry smile if Ronnie had took the bin dippers up - How can you get rid of a manager after a few months? It's madness. Shearer was bound to fail, he's blamed everybody but himself but the fact is he had 8 games to win ONE extra point - he failed. No one is bigger than the arrogant cock that is Alan Shearer - Owen fit or not should have been wheeled out and told to justify his massive wages. As I say 8 games to gain ONE extra point. Unforgivable imo and if you look at their squad and the players they will lose and what they are likely to have left - they will do a Leeds I guarantee it.

Come to think of it their not all that different from our fans.

Agree re ronnie, I was never his biggest fan but still bought my season ticket whilst he was in charge.

Back on topic, shearer was not qualified to do that job, plain and simple. And now they apparently want Steve Bruce, not cos of his managerial record, but because he is a geordie.

Although I think with alot of proper newcastle fans, they are more worried about the players staying than going, all on prem wages too cos they have no clause which drops their wages upon relegation from the prem. If they havent come back up in two years, and still have similar levels of debt, then their in big trouble

Owen as a top level goal scoring centre forward is, i'm afraid, finished! Not enough games or goals and very unlikely to ever regain that sharpness that made him the talent he WAS. Age and injuries have a very permanent effect on the body and mind and the toll has taken already with Owen.

As for how they treated Big Sam, as others have said, regardless of how he likes to play the game, they have now got what they deserve.

It'll be interesting to see if the messiah now jumps ship or shows his loyalty to those thousands who revered him for years.

Ah what a good laugh to see big fat bald tatooed geordies naming their children after Newcastle legends blubbering like little girls. Blindly following their messiah and team like lemmings to the edge of the cliff. How premiership manager Sam Alladyce must be giggling tonight. The club itself is right up their and probably beyond the likes of Leeds and Man City interms of being a soap opera the problems start from the top down Mike Ashley in his desperate I'm one of the lads "I can neck a pint you know" mentality a succesion of daft managerial appointments crash player recruitment which could leave them next year haemoraghing money like a high street bank.

That said I did have to feel a tinge of sympathy for those bear chested neanderthals from the north east yesterday as such was the patheitc levels of effort shown from their players yesterday that they couldn't beat a side who have had their feet up on holiday for about 2 months now it also leaves them worse of than a side that couldn't even beat man united under 15s yesterday and will surely be down next season unless they drastically improve. Newcastle have 15 players on over £50,000 a week and at the end they just trudged off as if to say "Newcastle? not my problem anymore"

Strange when you think about it really 3 weeks ago I went to see Glossop North End at wembley to just turn up on that hallowed turf and play infront of just 12000 meant everything to these guys most of which had to go back to work the following day in normal jobs where the Newcastle players will go back to their rather large mansions and fleets of expensive cars on the phone to their agents asking them to get them out of this nightmare.

So they're idiots for wanting a manager out in months, yet it is Shearers fault as he didn't perform within eight games?

So they're idiots for wanting a manager out in months, yet it is Shearers fault as he didn't perform within eight games?

Shearer should never have got that job full stop, he wasnt qualified, but the narrow minded sentimental geordies see being qualified for the job as either being a legendary ex player and/or being born in newcastle

I think had kinnears heart not been on its arse, he would have kept them up

Shearer should never have got that job full stop, he wasnt qualified, but the narrow minded sentimental geordies see being qualified for the job as either being a legendary ex player and/or being born in newcastle

I think had kinnears heart not been on its arse, he would have kept them up

I agree that Shearer shouldn't have got the job. Off previous quotes ('a manager should work from the bottom up') he agrees himself. But, he is hardly to blame for their current predicament. Though it did make it more funny.

I agree that Shearer shouldn't have got the job. Off previous quotes ('a manager should work from the bottom up') he agrees himself. But, he is hardly to blame for their current predicament. Though it did make it more funny.

That is the sole reason he took the job in my opinion. If he had kept them up, he could have taken all the credit, wheras because they went down, he could play the "i only had eight games not my fault" card, although I thought he would have had more of an impact than what he did

That is the sole reason he took the job in my opinion. If he had kept them up, he could have taken all the credit, wheras because they went down, he could play the "i only had eight games not my fault" card, although I thought he would have had more of an impact than what he did

The similarities with Joe Royle are remarkable.

Any references to chickens and salad in Geordieland?

• 3 weeks later...

[/i]

And that Tuesday night was announced at 10AM today Tues 20th October :grin:

Good times