England - Andorra

Came here to say that. If Downing is ahead of Beckham, no matter how far down the list you place him, then there's something wrong with this world.

He's missed Joe Cole from the squad anyway, who will surely be a country mile ahead of part time player Beckham.

I can see what Beckham brings to the table, and it can be useful against teams that are so crap we'd beat them anyway. But, I'd leave him behind myself, unless of a series of injury problems.

He isn't and never has been a central midfielder, which sticks him out on the right. There we have Gerrard (at times), Walcott and SWP with potentially Milner and Lennon coming back into the fold. We have so many options there it is unreal.

One thing i noticed from tonights games (and others) is when will England get a player who can take a corner? :ranting:

Beckham took 20 or so corners tonight and i can only count three that actually beat the first defender at the near post.

Also thought Green was outstanding! seriously though who would be Englands No.1 for South Africa. For me Hart would have been until Citeh bought Given.

Its really hard to judge how well England do/have done against teams like Andorra, its a game where England will win and win well, but what is well?

In the past, under other managers, we have gone into these games with an expectation of soundly drubbing these teams and then coming away with a scraped win. With Capello in charge, we have a manager who has the knowledge and the confidence that the team he puts out will do the job.

As for Beckham, yes he played well and was one of England's better players last night but he was able to play to his forte (not moving a lot and picking out passes without anyone closing him down), he won't be able to do that in a world cup. Would I take him to a world cup- probably not.

There have been a number of matches were Capello has gone for pace down the flanks with no service to the forwards and reverted to using Beckham because he can and does offer an end product. You can't compare what Beckham gives to the team with what the likes of Wright-Phillips or Walcott offers because neither of them are renowned for their wingplay/crossing abilities, both of them are more akin to Rooney in my opinion.

There have been a number of matches were Capello has gone for pace down the flanks with no service to the forwards and reverted to using Beckham because he can and does offer an end product. You can't compare what Beckham gives to the team with what the likes of Wright-Phillips or Walcott offers because neither of them are renowned for their wingplay/crossing abilities, both of them are more akin to Rooney in my opinion.

Which games have they been? He generally brings Beckham on for his cameo when the game is sewn up....and pretty much every game has been like that in this group.

Beckham must be a definate for the squad should we secure our place to the World Cup. He might not be a definate starter but he has the quality to be in the squad, he has the experience of many world cups and he leads by example, captain or not.

He was our best player in the last world cup, coming up with numerous vital goals and assists, one of the only players to turn up. I would be amazed and very disappointed if other players who can run really, really fast but deliver no end product were picked in the squad instead of Beckham.

He was superb, do you think he could squeeze in one more WC? I think he'd be a useful substitute to take.

I think we have to take Beckham, we don't have anyone else who can pass the ball like that, he was just superb last night. Plus you have the bonus of being able to put him on for the last 15 mins or whatever to put that killer ball into the box.

Looking good though. They look composed and confident. Something that even at 2-0 against a team like this in the past we wouldn't have done.

Andorra are clearly playing 11 behind the ball but we're still generating space and chances.

To be fair they had 1 up front and 1 shot but well done England you really did thrash them. They could have scored a lot more.

To be fair they had 1 up front and 1 shot but well done England you really did thrash them. They could have scored a lot more.

They had none up front and the only shot I remember was from about 65 yards and went for a throw. Other than that you're spot on! :wink: