moving ground rumour

Well, I was working my way through the thread carefully so as not to make a reply before missing relevant points. I was going to apologise unreservedly to anyone from Failsworth for my comments - I should have said that land round there wasn't likely to go for much value for housing as it isn't perceived as an area which is highly desirable in a buyers market, and I was wrong to be rude about an area where many fellow fans live and/or grew up. Maybe a bit of a snob in me, which is not an attractive thing to be.

I am mystified how someone saying that an area is good because it is full of white people isn't seen as racist though. Shall we try it another way -

"I like living here because there aren't many Niggers around?"

"The great thing about where I live is that there aren't many Pakis."

Are those OK?

I know that Mark isn't bigoted at all, and I know Garcon is a fat beardy, and I'm not beating the PC drum here, but for people to jump of Delfer for doing nothing more than stating the bleeding obviuos seems out of order to me.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it does, would you like to make an arrangement to meet up sometime to see what reaction you might get if you call me a racist to my face?

Is someone making threats on a Latics website? How brave.

It was racist but meant as a joke rather than to offend anyone. Delfer was offended (bit soft if you ask me), its not been removed if he wants to report it to the club I think he should as its is racist wether you like to admit it or not.

Edited by ritchie82

It was racist but meant as a joke rather than to offend anyone. Delfer was offended (bit soft if you ask me), its not been removed if he wants to report it to the club I think he should as its is racist wether you like to admit it or not.

Posts like this are welcome. Debate the point all you want guys. Any more petty threats and I start to moderate it all, and I really don't want to do that - as Top Gear is on soon.

Cheers,

Ack

Brave, moi? :lol:

You're right, though, completely ridiculous. But only as ridiculous as jumping on every slightly off-colour comment.

Yes I do see Leeslover's point (and therefore Delfer's I guess). It's just that ... I dunno, maybe I'm just tired of fighting that battle against a tide of ignorance.

Ultimately, I suppose if Failsworth is now full of the kind of people who honestly think it's a better place to live "cos there ain't no pakis", then maybe that's why I tend to think of Failsworth as being one of the least desirable parts of Oldham - because it's fuill of racist, white trash.

Who knows.

It was a bad joke at the end of the day, and I reckon the poster will be somewhat surprised at the response.

Feck it - time for Top Gear!

:getmecoat:

Brave, moi? :lol:

You're right, though, completely ridiculous. But only as ridiculous as jumping on every slightly off-colour comment.

Yes I do see Leeslover's point (and therefore Delfer's I guess). It's just that ... I dunno, maybe I'm just tired of fighting that battle against a tide of ignorance.

Ultimately, I suppose if Failsworth is now full of the kind of people who honestly think it's a better place to live "cos there ain't no pakis", then maybe that's why I tend to think of Failsworth as being one of the least desirable parts of Oldham - because it's fuill of racist, white trash.

Who knows.

It was a bad joke at the end of the day, and I reckon the poster will be somewhat surprised at the response.

Feck it - time for Top Gear!

:getmecoat:

Is this meant to be humourous? What a crass post.

Oh come on, Failsworth is a sh*thole and you know it. You can't even live in the "nice" part (Woodhouses) if you have a sense of smell... :lol:

So's Limeside... :blink:

Edited to add: Before you get all protective, I was born in Failsworth so I reckon I can have my say... :grin:

so where do you live NOW then :grin: ?????

i didnt know the white comment would spark such a responce(not in a racist way) but yeah at the mo thats is how im feeling about living in failsworth appossed (cant spell) to living some where like werneth

Edited by kellysheroes

Guest sheridans_world
I've heard there'll be something on this (ground plans, not racism) in tomorrow's M.E.N.

Be sure and buy a copy y'all.

Who said anything about buying one? I'm going get the train into Manchester just so I can get a free one :grin::wink: *

* Or...failing that, I'll read it online...:grin:

Who said anything about buying one? I'm going get the train into Manchester just so I can get a free one :grin::wink: *

* Or...failing that, I'll read it online...:grin:

They only have the free city centre copies on Thursdays and Fridays now. Just to save you a trip.

As a side issue, there may be a slight false economy in paying for a train ticket in order to get a free newspaper :grin:

They only have the free city centre copies on Thursdays and Fridays now. Just to save you a trip.

As a side issue, there may be a slight false economy in paying for a train ticket in order to get a free newspaper :grin:

Do they as I swear I could have got one for free on Monday. But I didn't bother as I read a lot of it before I'd even gone to work.

Whilst I agree technically the comment made was racist, it was hardly delivered with real venom or intent! An over reaction I think and if I'm honest the only thing worse than a racist, is a person who plays the race card!

I once described a black friend's appearance by the colour of his skin, but the bloke who I was talking to, and also black, took offence to this description :shock: I think delpher is over sensitive and typical kinda bloke who plays the race at every opportunity, or am I being racist? :grin:

Whilst I agree technically the comment made was racist, it was hardly delivered with real venom or intent! An over reaction I think and if I'm honest the only thing worse than a racist, is a person who plays the race card!

I once described a black friend's appearance by the colour of his skin, but the bloke who I was talking to, and also black, took offence to this description :shock: I think delpher is over sensitive and typical kinda bloke who plays the race at every opportunity, or am I being racist? :grin:

Delferist.

so where do you live NOW then :grin: ?????

Some hole in Cheshire that everyone thinks is posh. :unsure:

I grew up (only actually lived in Failsworth til about 3) in Royton, and still tend to think of that as home.

real - a crass post? Sorry, wasn't intended to be, reading back it came across a bit wrong.

I definitely think we should change to www.owbt.co.uk ... :grin:

How on earth has that not been moderated?

It was slightly racist but hardly offensive. But this site is so keen to moderate everything that is said I cannot believe a comment like that has not been removed.

Is he a mate of the admin and mods?

I always feel we are onto, "one of them," threads when someone appears who says, "one of my best friends is..." or similar. I often find myself thinking that the poster of said post is talking :censored:.

The original post wasn't deliver with venom maybe, it was just casual throwaway racism. We all, every single one of us, every single one, from every first poster who reads this to site Admin, knew 100% that what he meant was that although his area is rough, he is proud of it because it doesn't have any or many Pakis in it. I don't want him tarred and feathered, but it's very disappointing to me that a board member who has stood up and tried to take a stand in a reasonable way has been shouted down.

I always feel we are onto, "one of them," threads when someone appears who says, "one of my best friends is..." or similar. I often find myself thinking that the poster of said post is talking :censored:.

The original post wasn't deliver with venom maybe, it was just casual throwaway racism. We all, every single one of us, every single one, from every first poster who reads this to site Admin, knew 100% that what he meant was that although his area is rough, he is proud of it because it doesn't have any or many Pakis in it. I don't want him tarred and feathered, but it's very disappointing to me that a board member who has stood up and tried to take a stand in a reasonable way has been shouted down.

He had a very valid point and had every right to type it.

No mate it actually happened. no :censored: from this mouth! No shouting down of anyone here, I just happen to strongly disagree with delpher. Or because this topic is racial am I not allowed to disagree!? For the record, I am the least racial person you ever likely to meet and I am very accepting of others no matter what. However, I really have a bug bear for those who try to play race card at every opportunity and especially when they god dam well know that no harm was meant by the comment, like when i described my black friends appearance by the colour of his skin. This country is soooo PC now it makes me sick.

Edited by laticsmad

No mate it actually happened. no :censored: from this mouth! No shouting down of anyone here, I just happen to strongly disagree with delpher. Or because this topic is racial am I not allowed to disagree!? For the record, I am the least racial person you ever likely to meet and I am very accepting of others no matter what. However, I really have a bug bear for those who try to play race card at veery opportunity and especially when they god dam well no that no harm was meant a cooment.

There is harm in a comment that a place is good because only white people live in it. Is that what you strongly disagree with? Or do you react to any discussion of the issue by saying that any talk about it is PC gone mad, and that your black friends don't see what the fuss is about? You are trying to turn the issue into one of freedom of speech, where it doesn't exist as an issue. Various posters have had their say, but you feel that somehow your free speech has been curtailed when I see no evidence of it. Has the race card been played? Where? Who by? Nothing to my knowlegde has been censored or removed from the debate, yet you are attempting to build up some seige mentality.

There is harm in a comment that a place is good because only white people live in it. Is that what you strongly disagree with? Or do you react to any discussion of the issue by saying that any talk about it is PC gone mad, and that your black friends don't see what the fuss is about? You are trying to turn the issue into one of freedom of speech, where it doesn't exist as an issue. Various posters have had their say, but you feel that somehow your free speech has been curtailed when I see no evidence of it. Has the race card been played? Where? Who by? Nothing to my knowlegde has been censored or removed from the debate, yet you are attempting to build up some seige mentality.

No you lost me mate. Your on mission! like I said the comment was racist but without any real intent! The coment was wasn't even aimed at Delpher yet he seems to take offence. Does that mean anytime I hear any black talk negativley about white people I can too become offended! Everyone just needs to relax. my point about being PC in my life is that by describing a black man as black could somehow be seen offensive by some. It is this minority that needs to chill out alittle, and I class delpher in this category.

I would love to have this conversation with you in person as I am not the most expressive in my written skills and come across much better in a face to face meeting.

No you lost me mate. Your on mission! like I said the comment was racist but without any real intent! The coment was wasn't even aimed at Delpher yet he seems to take offence. Does that mean anytime I hear any black talk negativley about white people I can too become offended! Everyone just needs to relax. my point about being PC in my life is that by describing a black man as black could somehow be seen offensive by some. It is this minority that needs to chill out alittle, and I class delpher in this category.

I would love to have this conversation with you in person as I am not the most expressive in my written skills and come across much better in a face to face meeting.

I would be more than happy to do this, it's been a few years since the Internet Battles of The Flag and I couldn't go through that again, I have little enough hair and it's mostly grey already ;) Even if I don't find agreement with someone I have no problem with talking with them and agreeing to differ.You must meet different black people to me mind, I work in South London with at least a third of my colleagues coming from a West Indian or African background, and I have never found anyone with a problem being described as black.

As it happens I do have an objection to the race card, I have seen it played a few times, but it doesn't mean it needs be called in reverse all the time, if you see what I mean?

So Murray IS a racist for saying he supports any teams thats playing England?

Hopefully not, being as I support pretty much anyone who plays Scotland. He's meant to hate the English football team, isn't he? There would be something not wired up right with him if he wanted England to win. How does this work out into anything to do with anything? Is it OK to hate Pakis because Andy Murray would rather Paraguay beat England? Is the media to blame?