Corney asked Rochdale about possible ground share

Oldham Athletic will still be Oldham's football team... fact... Only difference for me will be spending a bit longer on the 409 up Rochdale road...IF it was moved more towards Rochdale... The cost of travel would not even go up for me...

One positive is any business rate will go to Rochdale council... Awesome... Got no time for Oldham Council :)

How on earth will we be Oldham's team if we are not based in Oldham? If we have no representation in the town, how are we that town's team?

The cost of travel would not go up for me, but thats really not the point at all.

Fair enough, you want Latics to be the town of Rochdale's second team. Rochdale AFC are based in Rochdale and pay all their rates to Rochdale council. If you want to watch a team who pays their rates to Rochdale council, why not just go and watch them?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How on earth will we be Oldham's team if we are not based in Oldham? If we have no representation in the town, how are we that town's team?

The name of the club might be a bit of a give away :)

Fair enough, you want Latics to be the town of Rochdale's second team

:lol: Please don't put words in my mouth :)

Real issue for me is that Simon should have kept this to himself, the Board of Directors of OAFC and the Board at Rochdale.

Change always upsets the troops. It may never happen so why introduce the topic and create this havoc?

It would be name only, a token gesture. It would mean absolutely cock all. If we aren't based in Oldham, there is no professional football in Oldham, and therefore, we would not be Oldham's team.

Did the Rugby stop being Oldham Rugby when they played out of town ?

Real issue for me is that Simon should have kept this to himself, the Board of Directors of OAFC and the Board at Rochdale.

Change always upsets the troops. It may never happen so why introduce the topic and create this havoc?

Havoc yes. There has never been such chaos and carnage as we've seen in two or three threads on here over the last few days since the Third Reich invaded the USSR .

Well I'm sure it still bothers them a bit, but they could learn to accept it as they are still in Bolton. There are places in Oldham I wouldn't be best pleased about moving to (Failsworth, for example) but I could accept it. Moving professional football out of Oldham would be unacceptable.

Does failsworth still not come under the duristiction of Oldham council, hence technically still in Oldham?

No, because they have always moaned like f**k about having to move about and they genuinely want to be permanently based in Oldham.

So just like you then :)

So... The Rugby remained a Oldham team but you think the football club wouldn't ?

ok will bring this tit for tat with you to an end. You might not want this but lets stick to reality :)

So just like you then :)

So... The Rugby remained a Oldham team but you think the football club wouldn't ?

ok will bring this tit for tat with you to an end. You might not want this but lets stick to reality :)

Yes because they "genuinely want to be permanently based in Oldham." Whereas we would be permanently based out of Oldham. And the Rugby do keep coming back to town, its not their fault they were messed around by the council, and now have to move for a couple of months every year.

Does failsworth still not come under the duristiction of Oldham council, hence technically still in Oldham?

Yes. My objection to Failsworth would be that the only place I can think we would build a ground would be the Lancaster club, and I think its too close to COMS. But like I said, I could get over that....plus you struggle to find anyone in Failsworth who will admit that they are in Oldham.

Edited by dave_ragg1984

Anyone else think that there's not much more to be said on this?

The discussion now seems to be repeating itself, going over the same points ad infinitum. No criticism of anyone for stating what they think, it's a massive issue, but none of us are arriving at any new blinding insights.

When, and where, a new or redeveloped ground, with whatever team(s) playing there, is going to be, isn't going to be decided in the immediate future. I believe that before that decision is made there will be some structured consultation . Until then we've got a self-selected group of people (all of us) on a web forum expressing prejudices, informed views, etc etc or local media homing in on individuals to spout off.

Anyone else think that there's not much more to be said on this?

The discussion now seems to be repeating itself, going over the same points ad infinitum. No criticism of anyone for stating what they think, it's a massive issue, but none of us are arriving at any new blinding insights.

When, and where, a new or redeveloped ground, with whatever team(s) playing there, is going to be, isn't going to be decided in the immediate future. I believe that before that decision is made there will be some structured consultation . Until then we've got a self-selected group of people (all of us) on a web forum expressing prejudices, informed views, etc etc or local media homing in on individuals to spout off.

I think that is fair comment...

Let the Board do their jobs and explore what they feel is best for the club and then let them come to us and ask for our thoughts when we will be able to look at the numbers ourselves. I am sure they will do.

Real danger of people hardening view points and then being closed to something which potentially could be great... We now need to wait and see..

Edited by oafc0000

I can't. Half of what cost? Match day costs would be the same, player wages would be the same. The only costs halved would be the stadium upkeep which, of course, would be more expensive as the stadium was being used twice as much. Another possible saving would be a slight reduction in wages via some staff working for both clubs. To counter these (relatively) minor savings, any additional income streams would be shared. Attendances could drop, or they could rise. Nobody really knows....

So, is it really worth that much to us? I suspect not. Now if we were to build a new ground and Rochdale wanted to rent it off us, on a 50 year agreement....that would be ok with me. :grin:

You weren't top of the class at school were you. How much would a new stadium cost? Half that cost and that would be the clubs initial saving. I doubt a few million would be seen as a minor saving. I think running costs would also be significantly lower aswell.

You weren't top of the class at school were you. How much would a new stadium cost? Half that cost and that would be the clubs initial saving. I doubt a few million would be seen as a minor saving. I think running costs would also be significantly lower aswell.

Building and running it is one thing-what about the ongoing revenue streams that were supposed to make the club financially independent? These would surely have to be shared with Rochdale, as the man says.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Building and running it is one thing-what about the ongoing revenue streams that were supposed to make the club financially independent? These would surely have to be shared with Rochdale, as the man says.

OAFC don't currently own BP - why do you think that it would be different with a new stadium?

Moving to a new ground doesn't bother me, as long as it's somewhere in the Oldham area.

Sharing it, however, with some other club though is simply not on now that I've had time to think about it. Sharing wouldn't work because both clubs would lose part of their identity.Before you know it, someone would suggest the two clubs merge and change the name because it's silly duplicating everything. 2 boards of directors etc.

Then, I never did like to share anything!!!

Yes. My objection to Failsworth would be that the only place I can think we would build a ground would be the Lancaster club, and I think its too close to COMS. But like I said, I could get over that....plus you struggle to find anyone in Failsworth who will admit that they are in Oldham.

Dave, could I just state before you become all Corporal-esque ( :wink: ) about seemingly being the only one wanting our own stadium, and banging on about every other post :wink:

I think you will find EVERYONE would prefer our own stadium, but as we know the owners are pumping money in every day to our club despire their finances being worse off in America.

Therefore, if the owners say they cannot afford to put anymore money into the club and cannot find a buyer thn this option has to be investigated.

THere are obvious pluses and minuses. MAny people, on blaance, are saying it is worth investigating more.

Peoples arguments have moved passed the over-my-dead-body stage.

So, in summary, if the owners cannot get the funds or a buyer (for a losmaking business) then sharing a ground is an option worth seriously considering, not stamping ones feet and saying never.

So, in summary, if the owners cannot get the funds or a buyer (for a losmaking business) then sharing a ground is an option worth seriously considering, not stamping ones feet and saying never.

Its not the sharing ground I have a (big) problem with. Its the possibility of moving out of Oldham which I'm not having.

Edited by dave_ragg1984

So we share with NOBODY....but the rugby.... :wink::lol: Consistency is a great thing :)

im not that selfish not to let the rugby carry on playing at our ground, after all they are a team representing our town, but Rochdale football - i dont think so :wink:

I really hope Corney has the balls to do what is right for the club instead of appeasing a view point that will continue to see this club die.... If i have one criticism of the board is listening to the fans... Generally speaking I don't think the fans get it right...

Where talking moving the ground a couple of miles in one direction or another... Its not as big as deal as is being made out...

Fancy saying that with such little knowledge of the scenario. For all you/we know the best site for a move would be in Oldham....

Can't see anything happening for years anyway - we're Latics ffs.

OAFC don't currently own BP - why do you think that it would be different with a new stadium?

I don't think any of us are privy to the intricacies of the redevelopment plan (except perhaps Harry, who seems to be some kind of club guardian angel). However, what we were told is that the plan was based on bringing incresed revenue streams to make the club financially independent.

Edited by Corporal_Jones