Athletics

Jesus. Usain Bolt was amazing. He smashed his old world record and yet he still didn't appear to run at full whack throughout. You've got to feel sorry for Tyson Gay (and not just for his name), he runs 9.71, a time which is the third fastest off all time and would have run any major championship by a long way- apart from the last two and he gets beat by a relative country mile. The fact that a Jamacian was third means that he is unlikely to get a gold in the relay either.

Jessica Ennis dominated the heptathalon as well- this is beginning to look like a very good event for the Brits considering the Brit number 3 came 11th (and was 2nd best in the Commonwealth), and the Brit number two (Sotherton) would have been in with a big shout of winning a medal. Ennis could become a major world star in athletics (and a national sports star)- it helps that she is attractive and there isn't any issue with drugs either.

Jesus. Usain Bolt was amazing. He smashed his old world record and yet he still didn't appear to run at full whack throughout. You've got to feel sorry for Tyson Gay (and not just for his name), he runs 9.71, a time which is the third fastest off all time and would have run any major championship by a long way- apart from the last two and he gets beat by a relative country mile. The fact that a Jamacian was third means that he is unlikely to get a gold in the relay either.

Jessica Ennis dominated the heptathalon as well- this is beginning to look like a very good event for the Brits considering the Brit number 3 came 11th (and was 2nd best in the Commonwealth), and the Brit number two (Sotherton) would have been in with a big shout of winning a medal. Ennis could become a major world star in athletics (and a national sports star)- it helps that she is attractive and there isn't any issue with drugs either.

Carl lewis thinks Bolt is on drugs and after tonight the question has to be asked. Personally I just think he is a freak of nature!

Carl lewis thinks Bolt is on drugs and after tonight the question has to be asked. Personally I just think he is a freak of nature!

Carl Lewis would know a thing or two about that. Prior to the Olympics in 1988 he was found with a positive dope test- for something which was borderline performance enhancing but because he was Carl Lewis and the test was done by the Yanks he got away scott free- (all this is allegedly naturally- but I read it ages ago in a reputable paper).

Bolt might be on drugs though but if he was I'd wager that he's had a bit of weed which is the opposite of performance enhancing- given that a whole bunch of Jamaican sprinters were caught with it. Bolt is just a different breed- and part of it is his attitude- his relaxed style probably makes him run quicker.

The majority of Olympic 100 metre finalists over the past few decades have been done for drugs at some stage of their career. Bolt runs far far quicker than any of them. And everyone that he trains with is exceptionally fast. They must have a really good coach.

The majority of Olympic 100 metre finalists over the past few decades have been done for drugs at some stage of their career. Bolt runs far far quicker than any of them. And everyone that he trains with is exceptionally fast. They must have a really good coach.

Or dealer?

I believe he was the most tested athlete before and after the olympics. He has got a sprinters explosive speed but stands at 6ft 5, thats why he is the best. A good big un beats a good little un as they used to say.

If he was hammering the world and smashing the record with such apparent ease he'd have been caught by now if he was cheating.

I believe he was the most tested athlete before and after the olympics.

Not so - the Jamaicans declined to take part in a testing program some other countries do which goes over and above the requirements. Anyway, it's more than likely that the top athletes are using things which aren't currently being looked for or the masking agents have got more effective. For example, THG, which Dwain Chambers and everyone within a country mile of Marion Jones were using wasn't detectable at the time. They keep samples now so they can go back years later and check for things when the science improves.

In tonights athletics we had a Brit who was maybe expected to get to the final at best (and since since was in the 800m with a bit of luck). Instead this Brit comes third but the real story for me is who she came third to. The woman in second was re-instated having been accidentally tripped in the first round (she ended up finishing last)- I wonder if the woman wasn't the previous world champion and probably has a big sponsorship deal on the back of that if she would have been re-instated. For the record, I wouldn't have done so- its tough if that sort of thing happens, unfortunate but tough. The woman who won was an 18 year old South African who hadn't run outside of SA prior to the championship. She has the best time in the world and did look a different class in the final (she won by over 2sec which is a long way in the 800m). However, this woman who has come from nowhere still has doubts- they don't think she's a doper they are questioning whether she is actually a she. Now when I first saw her I was a bit dubious about her gender- well to be more precise I thought it was worth checking her out just to make sure. She does look quite manly and she would struggle to fill a B bra, plus her hips don't look majorily wide.

Personally I hope she is found to be 100% female as at only 18 I think she has a very good chance of beating what I think is an old East German world record- (which one assumes is dodgy). However, if it is found that this woman isn't 100% a woman I wonder what the punishment will be- as whilst it is feasible that there is a malicous nature to it (and people shouldn't presume otherwise - depsite what I was hearing tonight from the Beeb commentators) it is also highly possible that this woman has some form of genetic abnormality which has only just been diagnosed, i.e. it isn't her fault. If found that the woman isn't a 100% female the IAAF have to be very very careful to work out the punishment as if it is meerly an accident then there is no way she should be punished like a doper.

Jarmila Kratochvilova of the Czech Republic (then still part of Czechoslovakia) set the 800 world record almost by accident. Her time of 1:53.28, set on July 26, 1983, is currently the longest-standing individual track and field record. She originally traveled to the Munich, Germany event only to tune up for the forthcoming world championships, and only to run in her specialty, the 400. She switched to the 800 after suffering leg cramps that, she felt, would make it difficult for her to run the shorter sprint race.

Biggest bloke ever to run if you ask me.

I would imagine a test showing whether they had more minge than cock and balls would do. Jesus, if they aren't out to cheat then they have probably suffered enough already. It's not like many transgender athleteles are likely to be sneaking a chance in the top events , even if purely on the basis that genuinely good women can beat most men anyway.

I would imagine a test showing whether they had more minge than cock and balls would do. Jesus, if they aren't out to cheat then they have probably suffered enough already. It's not like many transgender athleteles are likely to be sneaking a chance in the top events , even if purely on the basis that genuinely good women can beat most men anyway.

Not really Lees, as if you are even 1% male you will be producing more testosterone than is natural and since people (men and women- its what that 800m woman from Sale- Modhal (sp?) got 'caught' with) have been banned for deliberately taking testosterone (as it is a performance enhancing drug) it wouldn't be right to say oh she didn't know let's not do anything. Personally it could all be a ruse from the Kenyans to play a bit of mind games with someone who is on another level (as it had to leak from somewhere) and the cynic in me says it detracts from the fact that the woman who came second was automatically reinstated into the next round despite essentially a racing incident- which I've already mentioned is dodgy.

Anyway we won't know for a while. But if she does turn out to be a little bit of a he then it won't be the first time it will have happened and provided the surgery and what not stays in front of the normal testing it won't be the last. I'll admit now that if I was good enough to win a woman's medal I'd be tempted to change my gender if I didn't have anything else going for me.

Jarmila Kratochvilova of the Czech Republic (then still part of Czechoslovakia) set the 800 world record almost by accident. Her time of 1:53.28, set on July 26, 1983, is currently the longest-standing individual track and field record. She originally traveled to the Munich, Germany event only to tune up for the forthcoming world championships, and only to run in her specialty, the 400. She switched to the 800 after suffering leg cramps that, she felt, would make it difficult for her to run the shorter sprint race.

Biggest bloke ever to run if you ask me.

So a woman who doesn't normally run the event (although personally I think Oghurgu (sp?) should maybe look at moving up to the 800 as she doesn't quite have the speed to do well when everyone else does) and was only doing so because she wasn't quite right, who is from an eastern block country set a time when drug testing wasn't all that good and it hasn't been beaten since. I'd like to believe that's legit but I just can't the same way I struggle to believe in Flo-Jos records (since they are so far in front of what people are winning major championships with 20 years later).

I watched this Women's 800m last night and for me there is more than just a few doubts about the gender of South African winner Caster Semenya.

Not just the manly look of her (thats the squarest jaw I've ever seen on a woman) but the circumstances under which she has just appeared from nowhere at 18.

She/he won by about 2 seconds and barely broke sweat to do it in about 1min 55secs, if he/she is proven to be female then that World Record of Kratochvilova at about 1min 53secs (previously mentioned) wont last very long, although I also did and still do doubt the fact that Kratochvilova was actually a woman, even without the doping issues.

I hope she is proved to be a woman, a 15-20 pinter but if she has been born a woman, lives as a woman and for all intents and purposes is a woman then let her get on with it. If she has a lot of male genetic material then it isn't her fault is it? Athletes use the body to their advantage, if a bloke is 6 foot 7 he is going to be pushed into trying the high jump, if they are 5 foot 5 wide then it won't be long until they have a shot or a hammer in their hand. Caster can run pretty damn quick, if this is because she has a bit of a naturally hairy cleavage then good luck to her.

Usain made a good point in his interview at the end- because the 200m is usually after the 100m in major championships he is going to be a bit tired when it comes down to the 200m. If he only ran the 200m I think he could get the time down to less than 19 sec. Last night he was awesome again and you have to feel sorry for those people who run really really well get really quite good times but come second to him by 5yds. I wonder what sort of time he'd get if he ran the 400m as he used to run that in the juniors. Plus I bet there's some Jamacian out there that is dining out on the fact that he beat Usain 7 years ago.

It seems that Semanya (sp?) may have some tough questions already- she has been found to have 3x the level of testosterone than would be expected of a woman (although I'm sure that athletes probably have a high level of testosterone anyway) as part of her 'genetic profiling' things don't look good for her as this tends to make people think she's either more man than should be allowed or she's a doper.