Hardy on name change rumour

In view of the seriousness of the rumoured change of name of Oldham Athletic, I emailed Alan Hardy and he replied immediately as follows:

"There has never been any discussion take place with the Directors about a name change so I am at a loss as to who has started such a rumour.

Why would we want to change the name?

Alan"

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sheridans_world
I can't believe someone has wasted a club officials time with such a stupid question.

Without the fans there is no football club.

The football club wants to keep its fans.

The football club official responds to a question that is asked.

Where's the issue?

Without the fans there is no football club.

The football club wants to keep its fans.

The football club official responds to a question that is asked.

Where's the issue?

I would imagine Alan has better things to do then respond to every pointless rumour. I'd rather he was earning his wages doing something positive.

Shall we email him about the 3 sided stadium? We need answers.

Come on people this is serious.

Can someone get onto Simon Corney and find out if indeed, as I have heard is true, we are not going to have floodlights at the new ground instead to save money we are going to burn bibles for lighting.

I can just see the letters page of the Chron full of letters from, "Enraged of Chadderton," complaining that they only burn Bibles but not the Torah or Korans...

Come on people this is serious.

Can someone get onto Simon Corney and find out if indeed, as I have heard is true, we are not going to have floodlights at the new ground instead to save money we are going to burn bibles for lighting.

I'll get an e-mail off to Alan Hardy and ask him, although he'll probably just deny it. :unsure:

"There has never been any discussion take place with the Directors about a name change so I am at a loss as to who has started such a rumour.

Alan"

Do'h! Now you've put the idea in his head. And maybe he now he thinks that the fans are seriously discussing a new name :shock:

In view of the seriousness of the rumoured change of name of Oldham Athletic, I emailed Alan Hardy and he replied immediately as follows:

Alan"

I am not sure where it was rumoured to be serious, the original poster of the name change thread, clearly put it up as a discussion point and did not start it as a rumour.

I know this is a delicate subject but could a minor name change have a positive effect and lead to an increase in our fan base.

We have already survived one name change from Pine Villa and have enjoyed 100 years of league football since.

Athletic was apparently taken from the original name of the ground which housed Oldham County, with our proposed move away from Boundary Park apparently imminent would it be a good or bad idea to remove the Athletic from our title.

Whilst a move back to Pine Villa will have no meaning to the vast majority of our fans as long as we keep Oldham within the title would it be really that bad a move??

Oldham Borough?

Oldham Villa?

Oldham United?

I have been attending Latics games since 1963 so I'm by no means a casual supporter. This is a serious question so no abuse please!!!! ......................Opinions and suggestions anyone!!!!!!

Do'h! Now you've put the idea in his head. And maybe he now he thinks that the fans are seriously discussing a new name :shock:

Even worse, the idea is in the heads of those who already stay away from BP, but are always on the lookout for another justification for their inactivity.

Even worse, the idea is in the heads of those who already stay away from BP, but are always on the lookout for another justification for their inactivity.

I don't think the Oldham public need much justification to stay away, what they need are reasons and motivation to go.

Edited by Hometownclub

I am not sure where it was rumoured to be serious, the original poster of the name change thread, clearly put it up as a discussion point and did not start it as a rumour.

It was put forward on an earlier thread, about the time the new location was announced. IIRC in that thread it was suggested that it was being discussed by the club.