Hardy on name change rumour

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure where it was rumoured to be serious, the original poster of the name change thread, clearly put it up as a discussion point and did not start it as a rumour.

I realise the recent thread was meant for a discussion, but it prompted concern and threats of stopping support, which I think followed on from the idea which has been festering for some time in the following thread which included:

"....when you hear club officials feel the brand of Oldham Athletic is not a viable concern (mainly because of the club's less than half-arsed attempts at marketing) and a name change could be considered....".

and

"I just think all OLDHAM Athletic fans and supporters should be made aware of this idea that has been mooted by the club's hierachy and is being seriously considered to raise the club's profile, we need to make sure we can blow it away before it gets chance to become a reality."

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=24424&hl=part

no prob. Just wish I could remember the thread then we could "out" who started the rumour!

I posted the original rumour, my source is/was a prominent member of TRUST OLDHAM who posts on here. At the time I believed a fair amount of substance in said rumour as he had been pretty accurate with other stuff. With regards to the name change rumour I informed fellow fans in good faith as i felt it was in their best interests to know what was allegedly being planned.

Edited by oafcprozac

I posted the original rumour, my source is/was a prominent member of TRUST OLDHAM who posts on here. At the time I believed a fair amount of substance in said rumour as he had been pretty accurate with other stuff. With regards to the name change rumour I informed fellow fans in good faith as i felt it was in their best interests to know what was allegedly being planned.

And I'm sure you'll agree it's in the fans' best interests for Hardy to have disproved the allegation.

And I'm sure you'll agree it's in the fans' best interests for Hardy to have disproved the allegation.

Yes, i'm pleased that Hardt has distanced himself from these rumours.

What I am concerned about is that these rumours have been on here for six weeks and there has been no official statement from the club and no Diego, he's 'denied' the allegation. It remains to be seen whether or not it is disproved.

Edited by oafcprozac

Yes, i'm pleased that Hardt has distanced himself from these rumours.

What I am concerned about is that these rumours have been on here for six weeks and there has been no official statement from the club and no Diego, he's 'denied' the allegation. It remains to be seen whether or not it is disproved.

The allegation was that “this idea that has been mooted by the club's hierarchy and is being seriously considered”.

Hardy says “There has never been any discussion take place with the Directors about a name change”.

You say denial, I read it as disproof.

The allegation was that “this idea that has been mooted by the club's hierarchy and is being seriously considered”.

Hardy says “There has never been any discussion take place with the Directors about a name change”.

You say denial, I read it as disproof.

From the original rumour AH was never party to the discussions. Only three others one of whom disclosed to my source.

Anyhow, I truly hope it is bollocks and we can now concentrate on the viability of the new stadium rather than the actual brand and name of Oldham Athletic.

Edited by oafcprozac

In view of the seriousness of the rumoured change of name of Oldham Athletic, I emailed Alan Hardy and he replied immediately as follows:

"There has never been any discussion take place with the Directors about a name change so I am at a loss as to who has started such a rumour.

Why would we want to change the name?

Alan"

My swift reply would have been...

"Why? Because we are moving to "Manchester" and intend to pitch ourselves to a new target market (as expressed at the Fans Forum) who on the whole, never have or will class themselves as Oldhamers."

For the pedantic...I've placed Manchester in "" as many like to point out it's still within OMBC...however, it's well known that the majority class themselves as Mancunian...which for me negates any reason as to why anyone living there would change to following us.

Edited by boundaryblue80

But at no point did that say 'free pies to hooligans aged over 60 70'?

I wonder if a consignment of cup cakes, soft cushion, nice tartan blankets that will keep your knees warm when you are sat out feeding the ducks* and some bottled human :censored: have been sent via courier to Burton?

* And for once I meant in the innocent method of, "feeding the ducks"

My swift reply would have been...

"Why? Because we are moving to "Manchester" and intend to pitch ourselves to a new target market (as expressed at the Fans Forum) who on the whole, never have or will class themselves as Oldhamers."

For the pedantic...I've placed Manchester in "" as many like to point out it's still within OMBC...however, it's well known that the majority class themselves as Mancunian...which for me negates any reason as to why anyone living there would change to following us.

Can you give me a link to the raft of evidence regarding the way the residents of failsworth class themselves?

I wonder how many of them class themselves as oldhamers - presumably you have some figures.

I also wonder how many of the residents of oldham class themselves as oldhamers - do you have any figures for that?

Can you give me a link to the raft of evidence regarding the way the residents of failsworth class themselves?

I wonder how many of them class themselves as oldhamers - presumably you have some figures.

I also wonder how many of the residents of oldham class themselves as oldhamers - do you have any figures for that?

Tsk Real. Just ask him where 100% of him is from :wink:

I have no idea myself, but most Failsworthians that have come on here seem to go that way. Hardly a census, but maybe a little indicative.

NB. Still think we should move there.

I have no idea myself, but most Failsworthians that have come on here seem to go that way. Hardly a census, but maybe a little indicative.

NB. Still think we should move there.

Isn't it silly, when most people in Royton or Oldham don't give a toss either? I think the difference is that most people don't walk to the game anymore.

Yes...I have figures...I went around every solitary resident and asked them. Ah...hold on...I'm being as facetitous as you are...

Or maybe it's based on what has been said from, quelle surprise, Failsworth people in general on here and from other places. I can't be arsed looking, but someone on here (I actually thought it was yourself) said that they were from Failsworth and classed themselves as from Manchester, but followed Latics. And that a lot of people they knew in Failsworth felt the same about where they see themselves from. Seems it wasn't you who said it....but it was said. So most people you know from Failsworth class themselves as Oldham then? I'd be surprised if that's the case, but will take your word for it (in counter to what others I've read, have to say.)

------

A very quick search brings up this one...

Simply a case of most of us Failsworthians consider ourselves Mancs living in Manchester, whether its correct or not, that's our perogative.

I'm sure there's more...I'm sure we both know I'm right though :grin:

Edited by boundaryblue80

Yes...I have figures...I went around every solitary resident and asked them. Ah...hold on...I'm being as facetitous as you are...

Or maybe it's based on what has been said from, quelle surprise, Failsworth people in general on here one person on here and from other places. I can't be arsed looking, but someone on here (I actually thought it was yourself) said that they were from Failsworth and classed themselves as from Manchester, but followed Latics. And that a lot of people they knew in Failsworth felt the same about where they see themselves from. Seems it wasn't you who said it....but it was said. So most people you know from Failsworth class themselves as Oldham then? I'd be surprised if that's the case, but will take your word for it (in counter to what others I've read, have to say.)

------

A very quick search brings up this one...

I'm sure there's more...I'm sure we both know I'm right though :grin:

Fixed it for you (well a little bit of it)

A lot of people in Failsworth see themselves as Failsworthians, not oldhamers or mancs - that's what I said. Funny that you must have seen my post (presumably) and the post you've quoted, but you only recalled the one that fitted your preconception - I'm not saying it was deliberate, it's just the way people deal with / process what they read.

It's also funny that you've claimed I'm saying most people from failsworth "class themselves as Oldham" - like you say - you'll take my word for it. You seem to be spiking a bit about this query.

I've said no such thing, but I have asked how many people living oldham you *think* class themselves as "oldham" - people move from one place to another, some move and see themsleves as belonging to the place they've moved to, some see themselves as belonging to the place they came from. What's the mobility level of oldham residents? of failsworth residents?

How many people in failsworth come from oldham, tameside, rochdale, bolton, royton, shaw? How many people in oldham have always lived in oldham, for generations?

Fixed it for you (well a little bit of it)

A lot of people in Failsworth see themselves as Failsworthians, not oldhamers or mancs - that's what I said. Funny that you must have seen my post (presumably) and the post you've quoted, but you only recalled the one that fitted your preconception - I'm not saying it was deliberate, it's just the way people deal with / process what they read.

It's also funny that you've claimed I'm saying most people from failsworth "class themselves as Oldham" - like you say - you'll take my word for it. You seem to be spiking a bit about this query.

I've said no such thing, but I have asked how many people living oldham you *think* class themselves as "oldham" - people move from one place to another, some move and see themsleves as belonging to the place they've moved to, some see themselves as belonging to the place they came from. What's the mobility level of oldham residents? of failsworth residents?

How many people in failsworth come from oldham, tameside, rochdale, bolton, royton, shaw? How many people in oldham have always lived in oldham, for generations?

I went to school in Failsworth. A lot of my mates are from Failsworth, got family who live there too, and I quite often go for a beer down there. I can assure you that I have never ever ever heard anyone from Failsworth call themselves a "Failsworthian." In fact, I think you have just made that word up.

Most, I'd go as far as saying 70-80%, of them say they are mancs. Only ever heard a couple say they are from Oldham.