Hartlepool: Friday nightmare BBC TV highlights

WARNING: This may depress those in danger of losing the Faith.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...v_2/8239645.stm

i wasnt at the game but watching the highlights it looks like the 1st n 3rd were good goals that you have to stand up and clap and the 2nd was brill's fault. not as bad as people are making out on here and after watching the highlights there doesn't seem too much to worry about, just need to stop the individual mistakes.

i wasnt at the game but watching the highlights it looks like the 1st n 3rd were good goals that you have to stand up and clap and the 2nd was brill's fault. not as bad as people are making out on here and after watching the highlights there doesn't seem too much to worry about, just need to stop the individual mistakes.

no it wasnt as bad, people were saying it went through his hands, when really he didnt realise how strong the header would be - but being a goalie thats a sin

The second whilst being Brill's fault looks like one of those where he gets caught in two minds either catch it or tip it over he does neither by not catching it and getting too much on it to tip it over.

That's the sort of thing which often comes with confidence, and having the abuse which was thrown at him will not help that. Brill needs the goal keeping equivalent of putting one in with your backside and he might show some of the potential that had the likes of Liverpool sniffing around 3 years ago.

i wasnt at the game ...... and after watching the highlights there doesn't seem too much to worry about, just need to stop the individual mistakes.

For the benefit of those not present at the match, it may be stating the obvious but, as these highlights omit all the errors in general play which separated the two teams and which left those who did attend so depressed, they give a totally false impression. Yes, we could have scored three, as S_W has already said, but the rest of the performance really was dire.

Similarly at Brentford, the highlights looked impressive, but all the dross was on the cutting room floor

The first goal, the defence was at fault. There scorer should have been closed down more effectively.

The second goal, Brill should be keeping shots like that out. However, Sheehan should have done better to defend the header.

The third goal, arguably, nothing could have been done. However, Brill's positioning was questionable.

Goals in football are generally due to the opposition's mistake or failure of defenders to mark opponents or anticipate action.

The current tirade of despair on here is not simply due to the goals conceded. It's the general inability of the players to keep possession of the ball and string passes together. Defenders keep bringing pressure on themseslves, midfielders get caught in possession or get bypassed. wingers fail to get past opponents and forwards snatch at their chances.

DP has said it'll take 10/12 games for this group of strangers to get to know each other's play. That's why more patience is needed.

Confidence is rock bottom and getting on the players' backs will only make it worse.

That 2nd goal just makes me cringe every time I see it. Such a soft, soft goal, and terrible goalkeeping.

It's not so much the 'drop' either. Where was his starting position just before the guy was clearly going to cross it.....He was on his near post, leaving him yards to scramble acoss his line to the back post. Now i'm far from a keeper coach but...........

That 2nd goal just makes me cringe every time I see it. Such a soft, soft goal, and terrible goalkeeping.

Let's be honest, the second goal is pathetic.

I'll go further, the lad should never play again for us. People say Josh ain't great, well give him a go, he can't be worse. I've had too much of Brill. Non-league keeper playing non-league football. Get rid.

Let's be honest, the second goal is pathetic.

I'll go further, the lad should never play again for us. People say Josh ain't great, well give him a go, he can't be worse. I've had too much of Brill. Non-league keeper playing non-league football. Get rid.

If josh is :censored: he will get abused which I dont think is fair on the young lad. Surely you can see Latics is not the place for a young keeper to be thrown in the deep end at the moment.

Watching those highlights it could have been 3 all, yes it was :censored: but it certainly wasnt the worst performance in 28 years which some idiots have spouted on here.

The first goal, the defence was at fault. There scorer should have been closed down more effectively.

The second goal, Brill should be keeping shots like that out. However, Sheehan should have done better to defend the header.

The third goal, arguably, nothing could have been done. However, Brill's positioning was questionable.

I don't think the blame for the first can be put on the defence. They weren't close to their men, but the highlights cut off the part where for the 3rd time in about 5 mins the midfield and attack wasted possession cheaply. That goal came from Abbott being given the ball in the centre of the park, he turned twice looking for an option, nobody wanted it, he got caught in possession and they hit us quickly with 2 passes before the striker curled in a great finish. I don't see it as the defences fault, the midfield got caught far too cheap (and what a surprise nobody wanted the ball and possibly a total lack of communication to the man on the ball).

For the second one I have to say I completely missed it as some of the kids who get up every 2 seconds on my row were off again to the back of the stand. Fook knows what's up there that requires 5 visits per half, must be a bouncy castle I haven't seen or something. Just moving my bottle of water before it gets kicked down the stand and then it's in the net seemingly from nothing. Having seen the highlights, it was a little embarrassing, Brill probably should have kept it out confortably, but at that close range you can forgive the odd error. However, with the number of errors we've already seen I can see why so many have jumped on his back as he has had plenty. It isn't the time to start booing or sarcastically cheering at one of our own players though and in fact this should never happen if you deem yourself to be a supporter.

The third, I was right behind and in all honesty he should have done far better. Plenty of power but it was very central, just poor reactions, should we be expecting anything struck with a bit of venom to fly past him regardless of where it goes in the goal? People used to criticise Pogs for all sorts and he had his flaws, but he would have stopped that spinning on his dick.

I haven't really commented on the game too much as we all know it was pretty piss poor, but what left me most down from it all wasn't the mistakes on the pitch or the lack of effort from some, it was the :censored:ing morons surrounding me shouting all sorts of abuse at the players, booing every mistake, sarcastically cheering everytime Brill got the ball, you should be ashamed. In fact if you never come back, that's fine by me because I am truly embarrassed to be associated with you. I really can't stress that enough, shameful.

The only highlight was when the same nobheads followed up a barrage of abuse at Parker with the chant 'loyal supporters'. Congratulations you retarded c***s.

I haven't really commented on the game too much as we all know it was pretty piss poor, but what left me most down from it all wasn't the mistakes on the pitch or the lack of effort from some, it was the :censored:ing morons surrounding me shouting all sorts of abuse at the players, booing every mistake, sarcastically cheering everytime Brill got the ball, you should be ashamed. In fact if you never come back, that's fine by me because I am truly embarrassed to be associated with you. I really can't stress that enough, shameful.

Strange, I expect the abuse from ours. They have a bit of a history of being bell-ends. What I don't expect is to be clearly outfought on our own ground. To see players not even go in for 50/50 challenges* under a manager who is supposed to pride himself on the closing down aspect is utterly terrible. If not ability, luck or style I expect one thing. That wasn't supplied against Hartlepool.

*I'd say who is was, but eyes aren't great and I don't know any of our players anyway. Second half, 3-0 down, centre of midfield.

*I'd say who is was, but eyes aren't great and I don't know any of our players anyway.

:grin: i'm not really in a position to take the piss, considering that a) i managed to mistake Colbeck and Sheehan on another thread and B) i didn't notice that Stockport's number 10 was a lad i went to school with.

It's not so much the 'drop' either. Where was his starting position just before the guy was clearly going to cross it.....He was on his near post, leaving him yards to scramble acoss his line to the back post. Now i'm far from a keeper coach but...........

I'm not defending Brill here, but I think :censored: and Sheehan could and should have done more to prevent it, :censored: by stopping the cross and Sheehan should not have let the lad win the header. That said, once the lad did head it, there is no way it should have gone in the net.

I'm not defending Brill here, but I think :censored: and Sheehan could and should have done more to prevent it, :censored: by stopping the cross and Sheehan should not have let the lad win the header. That said, once the lad did head it, there is no way it should have gone in the net.

Spot on!

Agreed 100%

I said precisely the same at the game. :censored: was too tight and caught the wrong side and was therefore easily rolled and Sheehan was 'buried' with the header, however.......

we werent that bad, but somehow lost 3-0 to a team struggling to win in the relegation zone

this is the argument I keep hearing,

let me just say I would rather us play crap and win some than play good and lose all the time

True but its better than playing crap and losing like the 2nd half of last season :wink:

His positioning was questionable, and the way he lined the wall up was shocking. The guy had nearly all the net to aim at, and just leathered it down the middle. Good strike, but preventable.