England v Croatia

I am starting to regain some interest in England, not because they are winning, but because it doesn't look like an embarrassing jolly any more. We shouldn't go nuts over whupping a pretty poor Croatia team any more than we did with the same result over Germany, and lets remember that Spain severely outclassed us not so long ago, but we are getting there. I had to piss myself at the appalling commentary. You don't win World Cups without players focusing on the core of their job, like defenders defending? Explains Brazil's record of dismal failure then. Cafu and Carlos only bombed on when they were sure that Roque Junior had it all sorted?

I am starting to regain some interest in England, not because they are winning, but because it doesn't look like an embarrassing jolly any more. We shouldn't go nuts over whupping a pretty poor Croatia team any more than we did with the same result over Germany, and lets remember that Spain severely outclassed us not so long ago, but we are getting there.

Agreed.

The media are full of it now, but it's not that long since they were all telling us repeatedly that Lampard and Gerrard could not play together, and Lampard was the butt of sarcasm from England fans, who booed him during a Euro 2008 qualifier.

Germany 1 England 5

Croatia 1 England 4

What's the key factor?

Heskey. :England:

Heskey missed some chances last night, probably down to his lack of first team football, but I repeat what I said twelve months ago today, that his overall play has been the key factor on the pitch with Capello's strict regime working wonders in contrast with the celebrity culture encouraged by Sven.

All we need is a reliable, confident keeper and defenders who do not switch off during games.

quite possibly the best bit of money i've spent watching on football in a long long time. That was just class.

Randomly in the thousands of masses walking very slowly down wembley way after the game bumped into a Latics fan. Only had two and a half hours sleep but well worth the trip. The atmosphere was class, particularly from those croatians up until the 5th went in.

England played alright (from what I hear I was busy delivering a baby when it started- but managed to catch the back end of the game). However, that Croatian side is not that good- yes they beat us twice in the last qualification but we played badly- their defenders would struggle to be in most Premiership sides regularly because they were old and slow 2/3 years ago nevermind now and they let us play far too much because of they like to play- we struggle against teams that close us down very well. I can think of at least 10 countries where we would struggle to win (and a few of those even if we played really well). Depending on how the draw goes we could get 3 of them in our group- if we get a good draw I can see us reaching the semis but if we get a bad one we will struggle to get past the 2nd round and since we didn't qualify for our last major championships we may not get that good a draw. The good thing about this England team is you can see that with the exception of Rooney an injury or two here and there will not affect us as badly as it has done in the past (and with Rooney I wouldn't be too bothered that much either).

They say that you play as good as the team in front of you allow. England very rarely allowed Croatia to do anything. Olic was taken off, did he get a kick? Well done England.

On another point, the team who sliced through us at times on Saturday turned Poland over 3-0.

They say that you play as good as the team in front of you allow. England very rarely allowed Croatia to do anything. Olic was taken off, did he get a kick? Well done England.

Yeah, they all played well last night - with the possible exception of Heskey who really should of bagged at least one of those two first half chances. I'd of started with Defoe personally, but cant knock Capello on that as he played a masterstroke in starting Lennon who ripped Croatia to peices.

Croatia were never in the game until it was over. Must say there fans were superb though - That bounce they were doing was quality. They were a good bunch around Wembley Park as well. Asking us where the shop was that we'd bought our beer, then came back after they'd been to offer us one. We were speaking to a Southampton fan as well who doesnt think they'll be above midtable this season at best. Poor lad says he goes every single game watching them home and away and follows England all over the place as well - god knows what he does for a living. Place was just full of QPR and Spurs fans. Not a Man U top in sight. :grin:

Dont think i'd do another wednesday night trip, or if I did i'd have to book two days off. How I got through work today I dont know.

Couldnt beat Wembley way before the game, Banter with the Croats was quality.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

(from what I hear I was busy delivering a baby when it started- but managed to catch the back end of the game)

From what you hear? You can be drunk delivering a baby, but not so drunk you can't remember :wink:

Sorry Diego, Heskey's a waste. Yes he's good at holding the ball up, and in a front three he's a useful player to have (perhaps like COG). But in a front two when both players should be able to score, Defoe's got to be the man. Some of Heskey's misses were very poor last night, the one where he was through and managed to not only miss but give away a foul took the biscuit. You can miss those chances against poor opposition (which Croatia were), but when we play Spain, Brazil, Germany and Holland (as proven!) etc, you need two strikers that can score.

Read something in the build-up to the game saying Heskey was the envy of top class international strikers across the world; the only bloke who struggles to get into his club side but is guaranteed a starting place for his country :lol:

I was there, very enjoyable! I know the country is going to descend into madness again in 2010 but at least Capello will do his best to put the brakes on it. I think we English work well with a firm hand at the tiller, this man could be the one. THE ONE TO WIN IT ALL AND.............oops, there I go.

quite possibly the best bit of money i've spent watching on football in a long long time. That was just class.

Randomly in the thousands of masses walking very slowly down wembley way after the game bumped into a Latics fan. Only had two and a half hours sleep but well worth the trip. The atmosphere was class, particularly from those croatians up until the 5th went in.

For most of the game I could only hear the Croats on the googlebox .