Just seen the goal.....

Not a chance was that Hazell's fault, route one long ball ball bounced straight to their player

If anyone is to blame, its Gregan for giving Kuffor to much room to get his shot off, carbon copy of James Browns goal for hartlepool

agree, just seen it too. hazell is running back towards goal and the ball is coming over his shoulder. if anything gregan, who was facing the long punt, might have gone for it. even if it meant colliding with reuben.

what struck me from the highlights was that gregan and hazell were too close together on several occasions.

Not a chance was that Hazell's fault, route one long ball ball bounced straight to their player

If anyone is to blame, its Gregan for giving Kuffor to much room to get his shot off, carbon copy of James Browns goal for hartlepool

Sorry Carl but look again and follow the sequence.

1) Long hoof from the Bristol defence

2) Rubes is goal side of the striker i.e. correctly positioned.

3) Rubes watches the ball bounce and in doing so loses his man who gets past him to gain control of the ball. Note here Rubes had choices. He could have headed out for a throw in, tried to head back to the keeper, brought the ball down and try to work clear or let it bounce. In my view, when things are not going your way as they clearly aren't for the team in general and Rubes in particular, you go back to basics i.e take the safe option and head the ball into touch for a throw in and allow us to organise.

4) Rubes tries to get back goal side

5) Gregan seeing Rubes has let his man get goal side and taking advantage drops in to cover, thus having to leave his man.

6) Hazell recovers, but it is too late as Williams sets up Kuffour who Gregan isn't marking because he has rightly dropped into cover. Gregan tries to close down, but is too late.

Result - goal

The whole thing happened right in front of us as we were stood in the side paddock. There is no mistaking that initially Rubes was doing everything right as he had for the whole match. BUT when he had time to think about his choices (same against Swindon) as opposed to doing what comes naturally, he got it wrong. It's the way it is going for him at the moment

Cheers,

Harry

It's the way it is going for him at the moment

What the hell has happened? I remember the Northampton game (I think) and sending a text saying "Rubes has been imperious". How the hell has he become such a liability? It can't just be effort (in training) can it? It sure as hell ain't luck. How has he gone from our best to our (second) mworst performer?

I'm completely and utterly bemused by the change in his ability.

It certainly isn't in the falling over / getting up / passing it to an opposition striker category is it?

I just think our LW commentary team need to be careful they don't unneccessarily fan the flames of the anti-Rubes sentiment that is hanging over the club at the moment.

He should have dealt with it better, but as ever, the LW commentary team find their scapegoat and batter him. They're just as bad at times as some of the numpties who shout abuse at players when it comes to apportioning blame to certain individuals.

It looks like the Mark Crossley Witch Hunt has become the Ruben Hazell Witch Hunt. The castigation of Norm last season was absurd and one would come home from a game and read the nonsense posted at 5pm on here from people who only listen to what Roy tells them, without watching the game itself. One that sticks in my mind was Southend away last season, where Norm could have done bugger all about a well taken counter attacking goal, yet according to the majority on here (none of which had seen the incident), he should have been hung, drawn and quartered before the team coach had even left Essex.

What the hell has happened? I remember the Northampton game (I think) and sending a text saying "Rubes has been imperious". How the hell has he become such a liability? It can't just be effort (in training) can it? It sure as hell ain't luck. How has he gone from our best to our (second) mworst performer?

I'm completely and utterly bemused by the change in his ability.

He got a contract.

Well, yes, it coincided with that. I just can't accept that a player goes from that good to that bad overnight. If it was lack of effort he would surely be dropped like a stone by any manager, never mind three different ones.

I agree that the contract is a coincidence. However, sometimes a player will believe that he is more secure once he has penned the new contract and without realising loses the intensity to his game. That and the fact he has been chosen week in week out without exception, if fit and not suspended, doesn't help his situation. Add to that the fact that we do not currently have any recognised back up/replacements for centre back and the mentality can sometimes subconsciously change resulting in "swithcing off" which is what I believe we are currently seeing with Rubes.

Like I have have said elsewhere today, he didn't put a foot wrong until the 90th minute yesterday. But when he did it cost us. It shouldn't have mattered because we had the chances to have won the game, Blackman missing the best.

It's easy to pick out Rubes because his mistakes are costing goals and therefore in some minds points. The reality is it is not just Rubes as mistakes have been made almost throughout the team. Missing a clear chance on goal is as bad as a slip by a defender. Unfortunatly for Rubes, his "slips" have been in situations where we are late or latish in a game when we almost have a point/points in the bag and give us little chance of salvaging something (although against Swindon we did but it makes it that much more difficult) and it then sticks in the mind of people even more than the same mistake early in the game - remember Millwall 1st game of last season. Hardly anyone tlaked about that after the game as we came back from 1-3 down to win.

Cheers,

Harry

To an extent, both of the chuckle brothers (Gregan and Reuben) are to blame, but I think more so than Gregan. Yes, Hazell should have done better, but knowing Hazell is on that man, Gregan should have considered the pass through to Kuffour than straying towards Reuben, only realising when the ball was played what a cock up was made by running back.

As said above, it's easy to point the blame on Hazell, too easy infact. That is illustrated from the HAZELL OUT rubbish in the other threads, posted before people could make an accurate judgement for themselves. If we're solely finger pointing, then Gregan would deserve more flack.

As mentioned it happened in right in front of us and Hazell was lacklustre in his attempt to gain an advantage over the striker and positioning himself better to deal with the situation first, i.e. getting to it before the bounce.

As soon as the ball was struck for the hoof up field leading to the goal he (Hazell) was hesitant in his positioning and tracking back, and I thought he should have done better, IMO.

What a load of garbage. I bet you blame Gregan if you drop a glass or bump your car.

Hazell's fault. Deal with it.

He should have dealt with it better, but as ever, the LW commentary team find their scapegoat and batter him. They're just as bad at times as some of the numpties who shout abuse at players when it comes to apportioning blame to certain individuals.

Indeed they are, and they prove time and again that they know no more about the game than some of the same numpties.

If I do ever listen to commentary of a game it's usually the opposition offering, for two reasons - firstly, if I have to listen to ignorant bias I'd prefer it to be in favour of the other team, and secondly it's almost always better.