Relegation

...we'll actually go down? This is a serious question. a bad start doesnt mean relegation. this time last season when we were top of the league and everyone was saying we'd get promotion. i would be very very surprised if we finished 18th or below and i think mid-table/top ten is where this team has the potential to go.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...we'll actually go down? This is a serious question. a bad start doesnt mean relegation. this time last season when we were top of the league and everyone was saying we'd get promotion. i would be very very surprised if we finished 18th or below and i think mid-table/top ten is where this team has the potential to go.

The way things are going, yes.

But I do have confidence DP will turn things around.

If you're asking for a prediction, then no I don't think we'll go down, but midtable may be about our limit.

However, we must never be fooled into thinking the old cliché that "we're too good to go down".

If a poor start becomes a rut and we carry on much longer without winning at home then nothing is certain.

If we build on an apparently good team performance at Bristol (I wasn't there), beat Carlisle and gain a bit of confidence then things can very quickly look much, much more rosy.

the way things are going - anything could happen

i think Penney is the man for the job, its just puzzling how we are not in the market for a new centre half and goalkeeper

maybe a lack of funds, who knows anymore?

Getting some wide players back could be the kick start to the season IMO, at the moment we seem to be hoping to hold out and maybe nick a goal which means any problems at the back are going to be continually highlighted. Get a couple of goals in the next couple of games and we will all be happy again (for a while)

I'm worried, not about DP not even about individual players. But collectively the squad imo is a League Two squad which may see us end up there. However, on that basis Ritchie's team should have ended up in the Conference. I know it's early days but the tendency to concede daft goals/late goals and the fact we aren't putting our chances away, then add in the injuries and plain old bad luck then it could be a recipe for disaster. My biggest worry is that given the strength of the league the top 10 is out of our reach imo from there down it could be anyone who goes down. The last two occasions we have been relegated it has been the home form that has been decisive - we need a home win and fast. Little acorns and all that...

Getting some wide players back could be the kick start to the season IMO, at the moment we seem to be hoping to hold out and maybe nick a goal which means any problems at the back are going to be continually highlighted. Get a couple of goals in the next couple of games and we will all be happy again (for a while)

We look more likely to get £20,000,000 for Dean Brill than we do to score though...we need a striker that will score, and I don't think we'll find that in the loan market.

as an exiled Oldhamer living in Bath this fixture is one of the few I manage to get to and for the 3rd season in a row I am left facing the taunts of Bristolian work colleagues, ( although I do remember us beating Bristol City 0-2 down here a few years ago). My big worry after Saturday is we never really looked like scoring and although Rovers weren't much better in front of goal they did nick one to claim all 3 points. I see on the OAFC web site that I think Furman says he can think of 4/5 games so far when we should have had something from the game..... :(:( how many relegated clubs do you hear that from at the end of the season. :(

A stat from 2009 - 30 League games played...30pts won...that from January is relegation form. And the reason it's significant? It's the same dumb and dumber defence causing all of this to happen. Not many teams are beating us, just we're being very generous and can't defend anything aerially. We just gift a goal or invite pressure on with it. That, sadly, is the cause of this 30pts from 30 games and a real reason as to why going down is not a leap of fantasy. I don't think we will go down personally but I think we'll struggle like hell if we persist with dumb and dumber!

Edited by boundaryblue80

as an exiled Oldhamer living in Bath this fixture is one of the few I manage to get to and for the 3rd season in a row I am left facing the taunts of Bristolian work colleagues, ( although I do remember us beating Bristol City 0-2 down here a few years ago). My big worry after Saturday is we never really looked like scoring and although Rovers weren't much better in front of goal they did nick one to claim all 3 points. I see on the OAFC web site that I think Furman says he can think of 4/5 games so far when we should have had something from the game..... :(:( how many relegated clubs do you hear that from at the end of the season. :(

Good old Wes Wilkinson!!! :grin:

I just think its such a shame about the defence, conceding all those stupid goals all the time, as the midfield and forward line are playing so so well, creating countless chances and averaging 2 to 3 goals a game and yet we still can't win a game. Damn that defence.

I also think Gregan should carry the can for all Hazell's mistakes as well, its the only way forward. :huh:<_<

No one's even mentioned Gregan in this thread. Overreaching yourself now, HTC :wink:

Not atall, its the stupid dumb and dumber references again.

Hazell was at fault for Saturday's goal and yet some try to use it as a stick to beat Gregan with again, just plain stupid, and as I said we are playing so very well in midfield and up front we are full of goals at the moment. <_<

If we're going to avoid relegation we need to win to win we need to start scoring. I think we can turn it around but it worries me that we have played a lot of teams that we should have beaten and not come away with three points. We'll find out soon if we are any good when we play Charlton, McDons and the Hudd.

I have little faith in the majority of the players that DP has brought in.

I just think its such a shame about the defence, conceding all those stupid goals all the time, as the midfield and forward line are playing so so well, creating countless chances and averaging 2 to 3 goals a game and yet we still can't win a game. Damn that defence.

I also think Gregan should carry the can for all Hazell's mistakes as well, its the only way forward. :huh:<_<

As your post is the next one after my own...I'll take it that you''ve conveniently ignored about the 23 games last season making up 2009 which I've pointed out...

23 games...24pts...plenty of goals scored...SAME F***ING PROBLEM!!!

Infact...in those 23 games last season we scored in 16 of them!!! And won just 5 of those 23 games....it's almost unbelievable to the point of laughing in disbelief that people want to blame elsewhere on the pitch over an already existing problem....all they're pointing out really is that with the fact our midfield and forward line aint working aswell as last seasons major problem.....we're in serious :censored:!!!

Edited by boundaryblue80

As your post is the next one after my own...I'll take it that you''ve conveniently ignored about the 23 games last season making up 2009 which I've pointed out...

23 games...24pts...plenty of goals scored...SAME F***ING PROBLEM!!!

Infact...in those 23 games last season we scored in 16 of them!!! And won just 5 of those 23 games....it's almost unbelievable to the point of amusing that people want to blame elsewhere on the pitch over an already existing problem....all they're pointing out really is that with the fact our midfield and forward line aint working aswell as last seasons major problem.....we're in serious :censored:!!!

quite angry aren't you BB80,take it easy have a carmel bar and a can of lilt :unsure:

quite angry aren't you BB80,take it easy have a carmel bar and a can of lilt :unsure:

Hmmmmm....Lilt!!!

Do people not see our form since Jan 1st? And the defence in place since then??? How f***ing blind can people be??? At least I'm happy in the knowledge that DP is new to us and hasn't seen what we have ALL 2009. We have and yet still people want to talk about the front line, using it in defence for our defence, when the front line has not worked in 7 games...but dumb and dumber hasn't worked in the past 30 games (and beyond!)

Edited by boundaryblue80

Hmmmmm....Lilt!!!

Do people not see our form since Jan 1st? And the defence in place since then??? How f***ing blind can people be??? At least I'm happy in the knowledge that DP is new to us and hasn't seen what we have ALL 2009. We have and yet still people want to talk about the front line, using it in defence for our defence, when the front line has not worked in 7 games...but dumb and dumber hasn't worked in the past 30 games (and beyond!)

Toothless midfield last season. No attacking threat from midfield this. Different ways to see where the trouble starts..

Hmmmmm....Lilt!!!

have to agree with you about the chuckle brothers and don't get me started on brill,but what can you do we don't pick the team,something will have to give though if results don't pick up,god help us if we lose on saturday.

have to agree with you about the chuckle brothers and don't get me started on brill,but what can you do we don't pick the team,something will have to give though if results don't pick up,god help us if we lose on saturday.

I actually think we'll win on Saturday but it'll be 1 win and then a draw, a loss and another draw then maybe a win. We won't have any consistency at all this season. I'm content with that. I've accepted what this season will be. But it grates on me that our biggest problem for months on end is still evident. And has been well before we stopped scoring goals.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I actually think we'll win on Saturday but it'll be 1 win and then a draw, a loss and another draw then maybe a win. We won't have any consistency at all this season. I'm content with that. I've accepted what this season will be.

As everybody on here will know, you're far from the only one to say that. But what I don't think people have realised is that there is no such thing as 'a season of consolidation.' The team DP has the financial means to assemble indicates that the towel has already been thrown in as far as promotion is concerned. The kind of inconsistency you describe (or worse) will only see crowds drop further. The result of this will be further cuts in the playing budget. After that it's either the new stadium in Failsworth or a ground share at Rochdale, Gigg Lane or somewhere (possibly somewhere worse still)-and, inevitably, yet further cuts as income continues to fall (even if there are some non-football facilities the club can make money from at Failsworth-and we have no evidence of this as yet-they may well be offset by the falling matchday income due to the lack of ambition symbolised by a small stadium, and the refusal of some fans to watch 'a Manchester-based club', keeping people away.) And then what?

We had 'seasons of consolidation' when Ritchie was in charge. They are the road to nowhere.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

As everybody on here will know, you're far from the only one to say that. But what I don't think people have realised is that there is no such thing as 'a season of consolidation.' The team DP has the financial means to assemble indicates that the towel has already been thrown in as far as promotion is concerned. The kind of inconsistency you describe (or worse) will only see crowds drop further. The result of this will be further cuts in the playing budget. After that it's either the new stadium in Failsworth or a ground share at Rochdale, Gigg Lane or somewhere (possibly somewhere worse still)-and, inevitably, yet further cuts as income continues to fall (even if there are some non-football facilities the club can make money from at Failsworth-and we have no evidence of this as yet-they may well be offset by the falling matchday income due to the lack of ambition symbolised by a small stadium, and the refusal of some fans to watch 'a Manchester-based club', keeping people away.) And then what?

We had 'seasons of consolidation' when Ritchie was in charge. They are the road to nowhere.

Why do you bother wasting the skin on your fingertips writing the same words over and over....?

And before you say it - no, nobody, absolutely nobody on this board repeats themselves as much as you.

Why do you bother wasting the skin on your fingertips writing the same words over and over....?

And before you say it - no, nobody, absolutely nobody on this board repeats themselves as much as you.

Gotta agree with yard dog, its get seriously repetitive, your turning a possibly valid point into useless drivel! seriously mate get a grip