NHL 2009/10 Season

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Look who's number 1 in the East :D

I've been happy for this thread to keep a low profile for a while...

Devs appear to be playing well. Haven't been able to watch much of the actual action this season (highlights here and there), but results speak for themselves. Bloody annoying... :lol:

I've been happy for this thread to keep a low profile for a while...

Devs appear to be playing well. Haven't been able to watch much of the actual action this season (highlights here and there), but results speak for themselves. Bloody annoying... :lol:

We've been immense. Absolutely decimated by injuries from top to bottom. The system (we have the coach who reinvented/perfected the trap in charge don't forget) is winning through more than individual performances are -- the Devils we know and love (or love to hate) are back!!

I've kept a low profile as I don't like to talk about things when they're going well - just look at the stats for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

And yet you're rapidly catching up with the Wings.

Their season gets worse and worse, it's brilliant. Would love it if they didn't make the post-season.

Oh, and beating the Hawks 3-0 is an outstanding result. They had a bit of a slow start despite being my tip for the Cup, but are really coming good. Maybe Mr 'I'm Leaving To Win The Stanley Cup' has got it right this time...

Just to clarify that Ovi point...I don't like players getting injured normally, but he's had it coming to him.

Ovechkin went down following a knee-on-knee collision with Carolina defenseman Tim Gleason at 12:05 of the opening period. Ovechkin was on the ice for several minutes before receiving help to the locker room. He received a major penalty for kneeing and a game misconduct, his second in three games.

It's not the first time he's been done for 'kneeing' and he should've had a ban in the playoffs last year for a similar offence against Gonchar which knocked him out of one game and made him miss the second. He's a dirty little s***...if he just played his game without going out to hurt people (and I'm not talking about checking, I mean really hurting people) then he'd be doing a lot more good for his team. At the moment he's turning into the next Avery*, extremely talented but an utter w****r.

*Not that Avery is anywhere near as good as Ovechkin.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this the last of the records now? It seems every game he's played for the last year would either definately or potentially break a record!

Well done, Marty :applause1:

Think the Devs will win the Atlantic, without tooting the Pens' horn too much...even we haven't looked remotely like beating you all season. The Conference itself is a bit daft...Devs, Caps and Pens aside it seems like all the Western teams are better than the East! Even the Ducks...

I'm more interested so far this year in the failings of the Flyers and Red Wings than anything happening at the top of the tables...

Is this the last of the records now? It seems every game he's played for the last year would either definately or potentially break a record!

Well done, Marty :applause1:

Think the Devs will win the Atlantic, without tooting the Pens' horn too much...even we haven't looked remotely like beating you all season. The Conference itself is a bit daft...Devs, Caps and Pens aside it seems like all the Western teams are better than the East! Even the Ducks...

I'm more interested so far this year in the failings of the Flyers and Red Wings than anything happening at the top of the tables...

Yeah, he now owns the record book. He broke the record for most games played last week too. If there is a NHL goalie record, Marty holds it. Most of them will never be broken either.

• 2 weeks later...
...without tooting the Pens' horn too much...even we haven't looked remotely like beating you all season....

You can say that again... The Devs have won all 4 games this season conceding just 2 goals!!

The first 3 games were even in Pittsburg!

Marty has stopped 124 of 126 shots in the 4 games and the Pens haven't scored in a combined 168:28 on him!!

Yeah, he now owns the record book. He broke the record for most games played last week too. If there is a NHL goalie record, Marty holds it. Most of them will never be broken either.

Quick Wiki:

• Most regular season wins (557)
  • Most shutouts (record achieved during 2009–10 season)
  • Most shutouts, regular season & playoffs combined (118)
  • Most overtime wins (45)
  • Most consecutive 30-win seasons (12)
  • Most consecutive 35-win seasons (11)
  • Most 40-win seasons (7)
  • Most games played by an NHL goaltender (record achieved during 2009–10 season)
  • Most total minutes played by an NHL goaltender (record achieved during 2009–10 season)
  • Only NHL goalie to score a game-winning goal
  • One of two NHL goalies (Ron Hextall) to score a goal in both the regular season and the playoffs

Regular season

• Most wins in a single season (48, in 2006–07)
  • Most minutes played in a single season (4697, in 2006–07)

Playoffs

• Most shutouts in a playoff (7, in 2002–03)
  • Most shutouts in playoffs, career: (23, tied with Patrick Roy)
  • Most shutouts in a Stanley Cup final (3, in 2002–03; tied with Toronto Maple Leafs' Frank McCool)
  • 2nd place: 98 Wins
  • 3rd goaltender to win the Stanley Cup with a Game-7 shutout in 2002–03.
  • 1st goaltender in history to have 3 shutouts in two different playoff series. (1995 against Boston in the Conference Quarterfinals, 2003 against Anaheim in the Stanley Cup final.)
Brodeur has also acquired more than 30 franchise records, including most all-time, regular season and playoff wins, shutouts, games lowest goals-against-average.

I think (and this comes from someone who idolised him) he outstrips Gretzky as the greatest hockey player of all time.

Frankly, he has the potential to be the most influential sportsman, any sport, of all time. I find it difficult to think of one sportsman who has even half as many of records.

Edited by Ackey

You can say that again... The Devs have won all 4 games this season conceding just 2 goals!!

The first 3 games were even in Pittsburg!

Marty has stopped 124 of 126 shots in the 4 games and the Pens haven't scored in a combined 168:28 on him!!

Couldn't believe it (well I could, actually) when I saw the score this morning.

I think (and this comes from someone who idolised him) he outstrips Gretzky as the greatest hockey player of all time.

:unsure:

Look at the stat's man - he's kicking on that way. Couple of more Cups and he's well on his way!

:lol:

Back in your box Ackey..... Whaaaaaddddeeeeeevvvver!!!!!

Realistically, unfortunatley a Netminder will never be considered more than the greatest netminder of all time.... its the same in football - how often in the greatest player ever debates do we mention Banks, Schmeichel or Cassillas? You don't. It may be wrong, but Gretzky IS the greatest player off all time, and to be honest, always will be. Marty is just the best person at standing between a couple of pipes and getting hit by a bit of frozen vulcanised rubber.

On a different note. was at my brother in laws this weekend who has ESPN and watched the Winter Classic - not the greatest game, but what an event that is, loved every second of it. Proper 'boys own' stuff... Something fantastic about playing hockey outside....

... and will also now probably have subscribed to ESPN just in time to see the Ducks lose to the redwings on wednesday... <_<

Check this out -

Former Pittsburgh Penguins star Jaromir Jagr was part a brawl-filled game in Russia that had to be called after four minutes for a lack of players.

A series of fights between Vityaz Chekhov and Avangard Omsk resulted in 691 penalty minutes against more than 30 players. The game had to be suspended because neither team had enough players to continue.

The KHL league commission plans to look at video and hear from team officials, referees and observers to decide further discipline. The game was stopped tied at 0-0 with 56 minutes 21 seconds to play.

The fighting started at 3:27. when Vityaz's Brendan Sugden started in with Avangard's Alexander Svitov. Soon the rest of the players on the ice, including Jagr, dropped their gloves and started fighting.

Order was restored but at 3:34 more fighting broke out, and eight more players, four from each side, were penalized.

There was another free-for-all at 3:37, involving players on the ice and seven more in the penalty boxes, including Jagr. That left three Avangard skaters on the ice and one on the bench, and three Vityaz skaters on the ice and three on the bench.

The team ran out of players at 3:39, when Avangard's Anton Babchuk and Jakub Klepisch were penalized for leaving the bench and Vityaz's Viktor Bobrov and Rustam Bakhriddinov took 10-minute misconducts.

Video of The Brawl - Including Brilliant Russian Text Translation

Oh - Btw... Second half of the season... Ducks actually starting to win? Seen this before.... :)

That Russian stuff is quality, especially the translation...good fights, but not exactly a 'massacre'...:lol:

Pffft Devils...who cares if all you do when you're about to lose is turn the lights out in the arena?! The Droylsden of the NHL. :wink:

I assume Matt Stajan last night was the first Latics fan to score against Stanley Cup holders. Another dream up in smoke.