NHL 2009/10 Season

I thought that might peak your bloody interest!

I thought it was a great exhibition of hockey to be honest. At times not the greatest game, but a full spread of the keys of the game.

I've already had several people saying they thoughroughly enjoyed it and hopefully our little community of 5 (six if you count Lukers occasional rants about Toronto :wink: ) can grow some more soon!

WHAT. A. GAME

It was simply stunning. Can't believe you think it wasnt the greatest game in places, I was just enthralled, technically it was flawless, yeah - some of the big players werent allowed to cut loose, but for a coahes manual on how to play hockey, just flawless - except for the obvious scramble in the last 5... It was just one of those moments of sport where no matter what you knowlege, you knew it was special... even my Mrs watched it without complaining!

... it was just fantastic and, ultimately, I really felt for the US - however the best team won... and it was a nice moment to see the Finnish flag being raised next to thsoe two at the end... it was an honour to be in such company!

Should be interesting to se how that is now taken back to the NHL... with the ducks having the most medalists i'm hoping very positively!!

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT. A. GAME

It was simply stunning. Can't believe you think it wasnt the greatest game in places, I was just enthralled, technically it was flawless, yeah - some of the big players werent allowed to cut loose, but for a coahes manual on how to play hockey, just flawless - except for the obvious scramble in the last 5... It was just one of those moments of sport where no matter what you knowlege, you knew it was special... even my Mrs watched it without complaining!

... it was just fantastic and, ultimately, I really felt for the US - however the best team won... and it was a nice moment to see the Finnish flag being raised next to thsoe two at the end... it was an honour to be in such company!

Should be interesting to se how that is now taken back to the NHL... with the ducks having the most medalists i'm hoping very positively!!

After all the crap you give me for loving the Devs and their technical play your going to tell me that's why that game was the best ever...? :lol:

It was a technically magnificent game, and whilst I love that aspect I think it had a few spells where both sides cancelled eachother out, which whilst technically fun to watch in a Finals situation where I have no favourite side I'd prefer to see a more open contest (like the frantic last give minutes, plus OT).

I've said elsewhere but it is so frustrating to see the BBC only cover one game, which has seen an outpooring of non-hockey fans exclaim how great it was. Just think what could have happened if the BBC had given the USA-FIN game or USA-CAN games full coverage instead of hiding it away on the red button... :(

After all the crap you give me for loving the Devs and their technical play your going to tell me that's why that game was the best ever...? :lol:

It was a technically magnificent game, and whilst I love that aspect I think it had a few spells where both sides cancelled eachother out, which whilst technically fun to watch in a Finals situation where I have no favourite side I'd prefer to see a more open contest (like the frantic last give minutes, plus OT).

I've said elsewhere but it is so frustrating to see the BBC only cover one game, which has seen an outpooring of non-hockey fans exclaim how great it was. Just think what could have happened if the BBC had given the USA-FIN game or USA-CAN games full coverage instead of hiding it away on the red button... :(

I never knew that Matthew Pinsent was an Ice Hockey expert.

Gutted for Big Zach at the end. That guy is absolute class. Hopefully he will put it right come May/June. It's just a shame that Canada (and Pittsburgh) have a better (the best) player in Crosby.

TBH matey, its not normally me who leads the boring tirade, its just funny to wind you up! That last night was a cut above though, its not normal to see such a marked difference in standard between a 'premier' league tie and an international game - there was last night, you could argue at that moment in time there wasnt a better 46 players in the world in hockey, and they were going full pelt at each other... and saying that there was only 8 minutes of penalties in the game (and that wasnt really because of lenient refereeing), which is probably a reason why the score was so low...

I never knew that Matthew Pinsent was an Ice Hockey expert.

Gutted for Big Zach at the end. That guy is absolute class. Hopefully he will put it right come May/June. It's just a shame that Canada (and Pittsburgh) have a better (the best) player in Crosby.

TBH, it wasnt really Crosby that won it though (I know he score the goal, but iginla did the hard work) - he was just a cog in the machine, and put in a very workmanlike performance for the entire tournament. Canada matched USA's skating and physicality last night, and then when it opened up 4 on 4 added the higher skill level, and tbh, battered the US. I know I'm biased, but the best line by a distance in the game was the Getz and Perry line...

Wonder what boring Zach's canadian dad said to him after the game! :lol:

TBH, it wasnt really Crosby that won it though (I know he score the goal, but iginla did the hard work) - he was just a cog in the machine, and put in a very workmanlike performance for the entire tournament. Canada matched USA's skating and physicality last night, and then when it opened up 4 on 4 added the higher skill level, and tbh, battered the US. I know I'm biased, but the best line by a distance in the game was the Getz and Perry line...

Disagree, Crosby was poor for the whole tournament until OT last night. I can only assume he's carrying a knock, he was in good form in the weeks leading up to the Olympics and it's not like he's not a big game player...Sid always turns up for the big occasions. Something was up. But there you go, when it mattered most...he's there and that's the sign of a world class player.

Kane was also excellent last night and through the tournament (as was Toews...if the Blackhawks can keep hold of both of them, which they should as they both signed big contracts earlier in the season, then they will be a force to be reckoned with for a number more years). Player of the tournament for me though...Corey Perry. Was there when he was needed and always played well, Morrow as well. Not glamour players though, and don't get the recognition they deserve.

It was a great competition, hopefully the rest of the NHL season can live up to it.

Oh, and one final note...even Bob Ballard's commentary was OK last night, not good, but definately than the garbage we'd been treated to for the rest of the competition. Then he undid his good work by talking about Sidney Crosby, Canadia's favourite son. Wherever that is.

Disagree, Crosby was poor for the whole tournament until OT last night. I can only assume he's carrying a knock, he was in good form in the weeks leading up to the Olympics and it's not like he's not a big game player...Sid always turns up for the big occasions. Something was up. But there you go, when it mattered most...he's there and that's the sign of a world class player.

Errr, isnt that pretty much what I just said :wink:

Tbh, I dont think he was helped by his line... I'm always underwhelmed by Iginla, and it got less and less ice-time as the sharks and ducks lines became more effective. I just thought he was told to play 2-way hockey and forget about being the centre of everything... but as you say, that 1on1 where he proper ballsed it up last night summed up his tournament... however he still comes out being Canadia's favourite son as he is the headline maker! I'm sure Corey Perry was looking forward to being th match-winner until Boring Zach popped up!

Errr, isnt that pretty much what I just said :wink:

Tbh, I dont think he was helped by his line... I'm always underwhelmed by Iginla, and it got less and less ice-time as the sharks and ducks lines became more effective. I just thought he was told to play 2-way hockey and forget about being the centre of everything... but as you say, that 1on1 where he proper ballsed it up last night summed up his tournament... however he still comes out being Canadia's favourite son as he is the headline maker! I'm sure Corey Perry was looking forward to being th match-winner until Boring Zach popped up!

Well you said he was 'very workmanlike'...there are of course a couple of Devs on here who would perceive that to be the epitome of all thing's hockey...:wink:

Oh, and one final note...even Bob Ballard's commentary was OK last night, not good, but definately than the garbage we'd been treated to for the rest of the competition. Then he undid his good work by talking about Sidney Crosby, Canadia's favourite son. Wherever that is.

My favorite Ballardism of the tournament happened during Friday's USA - Finland semi. 15 minuted into the first period, with the USA 6-0 up, he said "America's shooting has been very accurate." Insightful as ever there Mr Ballard.

Wonder what boring Zach's canadian dad said to him after the game! :lol:

Probably something along the lines of "tough luck kid. And congratulations on having such a good tournament. 8 points and a place on the all star team isn't that bad going. Oh, and ignore them people who call you boring, they don't know what they are talking about. You're the most interesting Zach I know. And they would love to have you play in their team..."

Edited by dave_ragg1984

Player of the tournament for me was Kane. An outstanding performance from him in every game I saw.

Parise, well there's no point arguing with you. We all know you love him and that you just like to fish.

Sod, it. Here it is.

I thought, given that they reduced his ice time in two games, that he had an exceptional tournament.

Despite being the leading American points scorer in the NHL he offers so much more than that, and so much more than any other forward with his stats does anywhere else in the NHL. He doesn't do it with the flair of a Ovechkin or the 'next 99' tag of a Crosby, but he does it, time and again. And will - if fit and fortunate - become recognised as one of the best American forwards of all time - of that I have no doubt.

Just as Sid 'knows where to be and when' in the big games so does Parise and with his abilities on D that makes him, for me, a more useful player. He's going to become the Messier of his generation, as Sid becomes the Gretzky.

My favourite Ballardism... "Canada have wasted this power play yet again" - five seconds of the power play left they score. FAIL.

Probably something along the lines of "tough luck kid. And congratulations on having such a good tournament. 8 points and a place on the all star team isn't that bad going. Oh, and ignore them people who call you boring, they don't know what they are talking about. You're the most interesting Zach I know. And they would love to have you play in their team..."

I was thinking something more along the lines of...

"Silver, SILVER??!! Bloody hell thats boring." :wink:

Sod, it. Here it is.

I thought, given that they reduced his ice time in two games, that he had an exceptional tournament.

Despite being the leading American points scorer in the NHL he offers so much more than that, and so much more than any other forward with his stats does anywhere else in the NHL. He doesn't do it with the flair of a Ovechkin or the 'next 99' tag of a Crosby, but he does it, time and again. And will - if fit and fortunate - become recognised as one of the best American forwards of all time - of that I have no doubt.

Just as Sid 'knows where to be and when' in the big games so does Parise and with his abilities on D that makes him, for me, a more useful player. He's going to become the Messier of his generation, as Sid becomes the Gretzky.

:sleeping:

My favourite Ballardism... "Canada have wasted this power play yet again" - five seconds of the power play left they score. FAIL.

To be honest, I didnt mind ballard that much, it was Pope that was truly bad in the way he had to force some sort of rhyming pun into everything....

In Sweden's first game they strung an amzing move together, about ten passes, fisished with the keeper being totally taken out and a tap in at the back stick... no keeper in the world would have got near it... Pope says: "Second goal of the game, the Keepers to blame" - No, No he wasnt... then last night, I think it was after Teoews scored the first he said something like "There he is, he scores, the postman, he delivers - thats it... like a postman he delivers the mail" WHAT!!!??? Desperately trying to get his sporting analogy in there...

Bad. Then you tune into Eurosport and they are talking about which line they play on for thier club teams, NHL stats, and even which college team Yzerman/Gretzky's kids are playing on... different gravy...

Parise, well there's no point arguing with you. We all know you love him and that you just like to fish.

Don't know what you're talking about :wink:

On a complete side note, just done a quick google search to see who's coming over to Europe for the openers next season:

Carolina vs. Minnesota, Helsinki (7th and 8th October)

Columbus vs. San Jose, Stockholm (8th and 9th October)

Boston vs. Phoenix, Prague (9th and 10th October)

Edited by jsslatic

On a complete side note, just done a quick google search to see who's coming over to Europe for the openers next season:

Carolina vs. Minnesota, Helsinki (7th and 8th October)

Looks at BigFin for the offer of a lads weekend in his homeland...

Looks at BigFin for the offer of a lads weekend in his homeland...

Well, seeing easyjet are flying manchester - helsinki now it's not a bad idea!

Not sure tickets are onsale yet though...

plus... teams are a bit bobbins really...

Well, seeing easyjet are flying manchester - helsinki now it's not a bad idea!

Not sure tickets are onsale yet though...

plus... teams are a bit bobbins really...

I was thinking more along the lines of just a fun weekend away than the hockey specifically... fly out Friday, tins on the town Friday night, catch the Saturday game, fly home Sunday morning...

Anyone actually interested?

According to the ridiculously slow EasyJet website, fly from Manchester on 06/10, return 08/10, would cost about £54.

Bargain!

I'm game if everyone else is... I can blag the flight as an early birthday present!

I'm up for it. Not going away this year so a little European trip appeals.

BigFin... whats Finland like price wise (ie, eating out, boozing).

Also, Stockholm or Prague appeal too, though I have been to Prague, so not too bothered about going there again.

Edited by dave_ragg1984

I'm up for it. Not going away this year so a little European trip appeals.

BigFin... whats Finland like price wise (ie, eating out, boozing).

Also, Stockholm or Prague appeal too, though I have been to Prague, so not too bothered about going there again.

Yeh, Helsinki stood out for obvious reasons, but if we'd prefer the other games/places I'm game as like you I'll not be having a full blown holiday.