NHL 2009/10 Season

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe only a Devils fan will enjoy it, but hell that 1-0 S/O win over the Rangers last night was immense.

Another goaltending record for Marty (most shots in a 0-0)... to be honest no one really deserved to lose the game, there were some immense saves - Lundqvist to be fair making the better ones.

There you have it though, what I consider a good game of hockey will, by most in the US, be seen as the reason hockey's crap.

Forgot to say also, it's the fourth or fifth game this season where I've read the report of a Devils game and it's said "they played like it was the post season already" or words to that effect... it's a risk that you're going to peak too soon.

But personally I think it's a fantastic strategy. Every ten games you get the players going out and putting in a playoff shift, get them in that mentality.

I don't make predictions, you get it right it's chance you get it wrong you look a melon. But I have a good feeling this year, at the very least we should avoid disgracing ourselves like we did last year... that said, it's still playoff hockey, anything can and usually does happen!

Forgot to say also, it's the fourth or fifth game this season where I've read the report of a Devils game and it's said "they played like it was the post season already" or words to that effect... it's a risk that you're going to peak too soon.

But personally I think it's a fantastic strategy. Every ten games you get the players going out and putting in a playoff shift, get them in that mentality.

I don't make predictions, you get it right it's chance you get it wrong you look a melon. But I have a good feeling this year, at the very least we should avoid disgracing ourselves like we did last year... that said, it's still playoff hockey, anything can and usually does happen!

Sorry, but the only way the Devils can play is a 'playoff hockey' style... that is just lazy journalism, trying to make grinding out results sound exciting - that isnt a dig at the devs, its just fact - they play a style over the whole season that so many teams would love to have for the final stretch....

Too early for predictions.... especially with the Olympic break... lets see who gets on a run after that before we start making predictions.... after all, the ducks season hasnt even really started yet :wink:

... for me, surely the Sharks cant be that bad again in the play-offs.... surely...?

I wouldn't say you disgraced yourself last year...you've just got to play to the buzzer, every last tenth of a second to the buzzer...:wink:

You can never make predictions for playoff hockey...last year's Stanley Cup champions (can't remember who they were :wink:) were 10th in the Conference on February 15th last year. Even the Ducks (yes the Ducks!) were five minutes from the Conference Final!

Sorry, but the only way the Devils can play is a 'playoff hockey' style... that is just lazy journalism, trying to make grinding out results sound exciting - that isnt a dig at the devs, its just fact - they play a style over the whole season that so many teams would love to have for the final stretch....

Many on here would argue I know a lot about lazy journalism. :lol:

I'd say it's true. Like you say, we always grind out results, but some of the games this year really have felt that bit more playoffy.

Even the Ducks (yes the Ducks!) were five minutes from the Conference Final!

Thanks to the goaltending of Jonas Hiller, the Anaheim Ducks are on a roll.

Hiller made 27 saves on Wednesday night as the Ducks made it five wins in a row with a 4-3 victory over the Boston Bruins at the Honda Center.

:)

..and here we go again...

However....

The one down note for the Ducks was the loss forward Teemu Selanne, who left the ice midway through the third period after being hit by a deflected puck. Coach Randy Carlyle said after the game that Selanne had a broken jaw and will have surgery on Thursday. "The puck hit the bottom of someone's stick, hit the ice and bounced up and hit him," Carlyle said.

:shock:

This better not frigging affect the olympics.... never mind how much the Ducks need him.

From Today's Ducks Blog... interesting stuff, for you eastern team supporting wusses....

Which brings us to our next topic -- Why the West is so much better than the East.

Through last night's games, Western Conference teams are 89-50-18 in games against Eastern Conference teams for 196 standings points. The East vs. the West? A 68-72-17 record for just 153 points -- an eye-opening difference of 43 points.

It's just another reminder that the Ducks, despite owning the longest winning streak in the NHL right now (four games) and sitting just six points back of eighth place, are still facing a tough climb to a playoff spot in the West. They're 12th right now with 47 points, a number that would have them just one point out of a spot in the East. (And let's not even speculate how that 47 points would be higher if the Ducks were facing Eastern Conference opponents most nights and facing the relatively easier travel that conference enjoys.)

Said Bob Murray in that interview with Helene Elliott of the L.A. Times: "No disrespect for the East, but our conference is very competitive. And it's very, very tough to pass teams."

How's this for competitive? Half of the West teams that made the dance last year -- Anaheim, Detroit, Columbus and St. Louis -- are out of playoff position as of this morning.

Last year the Ducks nabbed the eighth seed with 91 points, but it's going to take more than that to get it this year. The Kings currently sit in eighth with 53 points in 46 games, which is on pace for just about 94 1/2 points for an 82-game season. The higher number comes from the large amount of overtime/shootout games (also known as three-point games) along with the domination of the West over the East.

The lesson? The Ducks are certainly in the playoff picture but they can't let the proverbial foot off the proverbial accelerator. And the next step in that climb is tonight against the B's.

Ahh, the US and it's love of stats. The West may be stronger than the East. To be honest I don't watch enough hockey across the board to know.

But to base the idea that because "Anaheim, Detroit, Columbus and St. Louis are out of playoff positions" makes the West more competitive based on the East-vs-West / Standings stat is ridiculous.

That's like saying Liverpool must be in a more competitive league this year because they were in the top four last year, when in reality they've just been gash!

Edited by Ackey

This better not frigging affect the olympics.... never mind how much the Ducks need him.

I watched the first period of the Oilers/Pens game last night and the commentator said the Finns will almost definately have to replace him now.

I watched the first period of the Oilers/Pens game last night and the commentator said the Finns will almost definately have to replace him now.

Its just frigging awful. TBH, the only reason he is still playing was the Olympics (and Saku signing).

Its massive for the Finns. Not that he would have got the most ice time, but his influence is just so big, not to mention the impact on the powerplay, which I imagine would have been our major weapon.

Truly gutted. It would have been the swansong of arguably the greatest ever Finnish hockey player (Jari Kurri along with him), and generally altogether great ambassador for Hockey...

:disappointed:

Edited by BigfinLatic

Just a reminder to anyone with Sky its ESPN Free View weekend...

Habs Vs Brodeur on tonight...

Kings Vs Wings tomorrow....

Happy days... Sky+ set. Its great as you can fast forward all the boring bits... meaning the Devs match will last just over 4 minutes then....

:wink: