Interview with an Opposition Fan

ste1987

Interview with an Opposition Fan

#8 - Carlisle United

Welcome to this week’s edition of Interview with an Opposition Fan. Each week, myself and Razza699 scour for opposition fans to answer the questions we put toward them in the build up to the subsequent fixture.

This week, Oldham face Carlisle for the second time this season. As such, Razza found some Cumbrian fans to answer a selection of our questions.

1. Firstly hello all, so we will be welcoming you to Boundary Park on Saturday are you looking forward to it? Are you expecting a result?

- No. Yes, there will be a result

- We seem to be better away from home than at home this season, so I think we could well be in with a chance. Would settle for a point though.

- Yes, we are a lot better on the road than at home this season so far, players seem to play with less pressure.

- Not looking forward to any games at the moment. Expecting to lose most away games this season including this one.

- Yes - I think we'll get a result!

2. Greg Abbot is entering his second season as your manager. Are you pleased with him? What’s his style of play? Do you think the team is suited to it?

- No. He has no idea, so how am I meant to. It would appear not.

- He's got us playing the ball on the ground, I think the team is suited to it, but it will take time for us to gel with it and get some consistency. I personally like Greg, although other fans will beg to differ

- Seems to be getting things right at last though some of his choices with subs and tactics seem to leave something to be desired.

- He's clueless. His style is poorly-executed PoMO.

- On the whole, I am not his biggest fan. This style of play is to pass the ball backwards and then kick a long ball hoping it'll get to the front men. I think Carlisle are not suited to this - at all!

3. Have you made any signings so far this season? You have lost Danny Graham to Watford has he been a big miss?

- Offiong is our biggest but don't worry, he won't play because he needs a pre-season so should be good next year.

- Danny Graham didn't score for us since January, so in that respect he hasn't been a big miss. However there have been times this season when we could have really done with a predator like him in the 6 yard box. However, we got £200,000 for him, which was used to buy Kevan Hurst, who looks like a quality signing. We've also brought in Lenny Pidgeley from Millwall ('keeper), and Matty Robson (winger) from Hartlepool, who also look like good signings, along with Richard Offiong (striker), from Hamilton, who hasn't really featured much yet.

- Danny Graham was going to be a miss pre-christmas but he never scores after Christmas, made a couple of signings (Hurst, Robson and Offiong, Taiwo on loan from Chelski) Hurst and Robson seem to be fitting in ok and Offiong is still working on his fitness after joining late in transfer window, Taiwo is a youngster who has won over a lot of fans with his no nonsense tackling in midfield.

- Danny Graham is a big miss. We have a lot of stupid fans who are only just realising this.

- We have signed Adam Collin (GK), Tany Kane (Blackburn), Lenny Pidgeley (GK), Matty Robson (Hartlepool), Tom Taiwo (Chelsea). Its hard 2 tell if Danny Graham's a miss as its only September, but see what's happening at Christmas and we'll know if we miss him or not!

4. So you currently sit 12th in League One 2 points above Oldham, where are you realistically looking to finish?

- Anything above relegation would be welcome.

- I'd settle for safe mid-table after how things ended up last season!

- Anywhere above the bottom 4 and we'll be happy.

- If we finish outside the bottom 7 it will either mean Abbott has confounded his many critics or he's gone early enough for someone to salvage the season.

- Realistically, I would be glad with a 14th place finish - just as long as we don’t go into the relegation zone this year!

5. Are there any teams you are looking forward to playing? Also any you are not?

- Looking forward to Tranmere, as long as Barnes stays in charge that long. We should get a 0-0 with Colchester if Ward is involved. Not looking forward to Leeds as it brings the worst out in our fans and this board.

- It's always a good game when we play Leeds, home and away. Also looking forward to trips to Southampton, Charlton and Norwich away.

- Obvious ones like Norwich and Southampton as haven't played them for a few years, Portsmouth next Tuesday in the cup and always enjoy games at Exeter.

- We've already failed to beat some of the weaker teams in the division. Not looking forward to playing any team that gets hold of the ball and passes it effectively.

- I am looking forward 2 playing Charlton, Southampton, Colchester and Norwich. I am not looking 4ward to playing Huddersfield this year because I think they'll have a great season!

6. What tactics have you been employing in recent games? Do you think they will change for the Oldham game and playing away?

- Hope the opposition are worse than we are. No

- We've been getting the ball on the deck and playing football. We tend to play 4-5-1 in difficult away games, set up our stall, typical away day tactics, but most of the time, we go 4-4-2 and try to take it to the other team a bit.

- Tactics? What are those? With the manager we have we can't remember what those are.

- Generally gormless tactics. Away from home we play a very limited game.

- I think our tactics will be the same as they have been from previous away games as we've got a good record so far this season on the road!

7. Who is your key player? Who should the Oldham fans look out for at Boundary Park on Saturday?

- Offiong - he'll be on the bench. Look out for Abbott's post match interview, but if you miss it just look up one of his old ones.

- Matty Robson has been our man of the match for our past 2 games at Brunton Park, so I'd go for him.

- Hurst and Robson two flying wingers.

- Although many fans loathe him Kavanagh can be the best player on the pitch (or the worst).

- Our key player is Matty Robson and I think Oldham fans should look out 4 him on Saturday as he has great pace, and he's a great crosser!

8. So Charlton and Leeds are the early pace setters which comes as no surprise, who do you think will win it? Any surprises?-

- Charlton. Think Southampton will really struggle

- Realistically, I think Leeds. They have a brilliant squad, and have a lot more money than most other clubs in the division. However, I've had them down as favourites for the past few seasons, and they haven't done it.

- Going to be one of those two barring any major injury worries (though they both have to face us yet ).

- Leeds Utd will probably win it. Surprises near the top, Bristol Rovers, Southend, etc but none of them likely to go up.

Southampton will be very close to relegation. Norwich outside the play-offs.

- I think either Charlton, Leeds or MK Dons will win League 1 this year.

9. How do you think Oldham Athletic will do this season?

- Badly, serves you right for letting Lee Hughes back in the game.

- Similar as last year. Mid table - Play offs.

- Think you'll be ok as there are worse teams than you

- Anywhere between 10th and 20th

- To be totally honest, I think Oldham are in for a very tough and challenging season and I think they might be in for a relegation battle this year, but I think they'll still be in League 1 next season!

10. After the Cup defeat to you, Oldham will be looking for some sort of revenge. What do you think the score will be on Saturday?

- 0-0

- 2-1 to the Cumbrians!

- 1-3 to us

- 2-0 to Oldham Athletic. Back us to lose all our remaining away games 2-0, 3-0 and 4-0 and waste your winnings giving Paul Scholes an Eric gates-style contract.

- I am going for a Carlisle 2-1 win!

Thank you once again to those Carlisle fans who took part for a second time. It seems the Cumbrians aren't too confident of Oldham's chances this season and are fully confident they can capitalise on Latics' dire home form. Is Saturday when we'll break the duck?