Shez on SSN now...

Shez had a top 5 budget in his 1st 2 seasons...TTA told us that...not OWTB!

It was considerably reduced in his 3rd season as he was expected to have the squad together that he'd been building. Sadly the squad was being loaned out everywhere, while we played everyone elses :censored: or crocked players. Shez very cleverly spinned the budget bull:censored: last season to try and covering his failings. Not the acts of a manager who knows what he's doing. For his sake, I hope in his summer leave he had time to reflect and has learned from it. I doubt it though.

This seems to be close to the truth.

Shez had a top 5 budget in his 1st 2 seasons...TTA told us that...not OWTB!

It was considerably reduced in his 3rd season as he was expected to have the squad together that he'd been building. Sadly the squad was being loaned out everywhere, while we played everyone elses :censored: or crocked players. Shez very cleverly spinned the budget bull:censored: last season to try and covering his failings. Not the acts of a manager who knows what he's doing. For his sake, I hope in his summer leave he had time to reflect and has learned from it. I doubt it though.

I must have missed that interview. Let me think, Charlton, Gregan (small % of wage), Haining, Warne and Wellens? Top 5? Really?

Was it not Corney who said the wages were :censored: rather than Sheridan?

Forest, Doncaster, Swansea, Blackpool*, Bristol City, Millwall and Brighton (the latter two just relegated)? Top 5?

*I can just about believe this one, despite them putting £5M into the club.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

The issue might have been clouded, but it wasn't down to anybody on here.

Yet, despite people on here saying alsorts, the chronology still remains:

Oldham doing well.

Oldham doing a bit :censored:.

Statement of fourth worst wages in division.

Oldham do worse.

Odham sign loan players.

Statement of top ten wage budget.

I, for the life of me, can't figure out how losing football matches increases the wage budget, unless we have a lose bonus system set up.

I must have missed that interview. Let me think, Charlton, Gregan (small % of wage), Haining, Warne and Wellens? Top 5? Really?

Was it not Corney who said the wages were :censored: rather than Sheridan?

Forest, Doncaster, Swansea, Blackpool*, Bristol City, Millwall and Brighton (the latter two just relegated)? Top 5?

*I can just about believe this one, despite them putting £5M into the club.

Gregan was on £4k when he first came here which was added onto a budget which was midway through a season with players contracted up when Moore was here, who also had a fairly decent budget. Might be a case of saying the budget in Shez's 1st season was high but not fully available to him due to existing contracts but Greegs and Charltons wages were significant ones added on for this level. Possibly even Rocastles...he came from higher up. Let's not forget also, we took Yeovils best player (at the time) and paid a fee for Allott. Hazell we got after outbidding MKScum. Also seem to be missing out a few other significant players...like Kilkenny, Hughes, Crossley to name a few who will have had plenty of money for our level.

Gregan was on £4k when he first came here which was added onto a budget which was midway through a season with players contracted up when Moore was here, who also had a fairly decent budget. Might be a case of saying the budget in Shez's 1st season was high but not fully available to him due to existing contracts but Greegs and Charltons wages were significant ones added on for this level. Possibly even Rocastles...he came from higher up. Let's not forget also, we took Yeovils best player (at the time) and paid a fee for Allott. Hazell we got after outbidding MKScum. Also seem to be missing out a few other significant players...like Kilkenny, Hughes, Crossley to name a few who will have had plenty of money for our level.

Sorry, I was doing his first season.

But, whilst we are on it, Gregan I thought had been established that Leeds were paying alot of his wage (and was only there half a season).

Rocastle will have been decent money - £1500-£2k.

Kaka wasn't there yet. As wasn't Kilkenny, Hughes, Crossley or Hazell.

Other ones on money you would think would be Swailes and Gary Mac. And Lids.

I just can't see that squad being top five looking at the other teams there then.

Sorry, I was doing his first season.

But, whilst we are on it, Gregan I thought had been established that Leeds were paying alot of his wage (and was only there half a season).

Rocastle will have been decent money - £1500-£2k.

Kaka wasn't there yet. As wasn't Kilkenny, Hughes, Crossley or Hazell.

Other ones on money you would think would be Swailes and Gary Mac. And Lids.

I just can't see that squad being top five looking at the other teams there then.

We hit a stumbling block over Gregan's wage which delayed him coming to us and thus missing out on the Wolves games in the cup. At that time it was reported he was on £10k a week at Leeds. I was told "off the record" that Leeds wanted us to pay half and that £4k was eventually settled on.

Looking at your list of teams, I'd say we were above Blackpool, Millwall and Brighton. Brighton who will have shed a load of players after relegation (that's not fact, just what I expect will have happened as part of cost cutting for this level. I certainly don't remember them throwing loads at it.) Similar applies to Millwall and I don't think they've been breaking the bank for players.

For me, that leaves Forest, Doncaster, Swansea and Bristol City. I'd say that's about right.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Looking at your list of teams, I'd say we were above Blackpool, Millwall and Brighton. Brighton who will have shed a load of players after relegation (that's not fact, just what I expect will have happened as part of cost cutting for this level. I certainly don't remember them throwing loads at it.) Similar applies to Millwall and I don't think they've been breaking the bank for players.

For me, that leaves Forest, Doncaster, Swansea and Bristol City. I'd say that's about right.

I'd guess that's where we differ. I figure there are loads of teams that were having bigger wages miles above ours.

However, I thought you had evidence that we were paying fifth most?

You know, in this bit:

"Shez had a top 5 budget in his 1st 2 seasons...TTA told us that...not OWTB!"

Show this interview and I'll agree. Until then, then I reckon (being honest) you are miles off.

I'd guess that's where we differ. I figure there are loads of teams that were having bigger wages miles above ours.

However, I thought you had evidence that we were paying fifth most?

You know, in this bit:

"Shez had a top 5 budget in his 1st 2 seasons...TTA told us that...not OWTB!"

Show this interview and I'll agree. Until then, then I reckon (being honest) you are miles off.

It was during the March fans forum of that season (if my memory serves me right.) It was 100% definitely said though. Whether it was TTA talking it up as they do at times (our ambition/their level of investment etc) I dont know, but it was 100% definitely said!

TTA/Sheridan told us different things loads of times. And it's just which one you choose to believe. Obviously, you just believe the one that backs you up.

I reckon we had a pretty average budget all 3 seasons. And that Sheridan is the second best manager we have had since we were in this division....Ross just doesn't like him because he loves his predecessor.

:censored:ing rubbish Dave...has cock all to do with Moore and everything to do with the club becoming a revolving door and a pissed up circus while he was here!

Corney last season..."It is a healthy budget and one which is in the top ten in our division." That was last season!!!

http://www.oldhamathletic-mad.co.uk/news/l...W&id=431938

:censored:ing rubbish Dave...has cock all to do with Moore and everything to do with the club becoming a revolving door and a pissed up circus while he was here!

Corney last season..."It is a healthy budget and one which is in the top ten in our division." That was last season!!!

http://www.oldhamathletic-mad.co.uk/news/l...W&id=431938

Piss up circus, yes I can go with that. It was Shez's biggest problem, by a long way.

Healthy budget was debateable as mentioned earlier.

I maintain he was a good manager we offed too early. He wasn't great and Penney may be better (time will see), but I was disappointed by the way things happened. Ah, so be it.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

The best I've ever heard TTA describe our budget as was top ten. As we finished 6th, 8th and we're 8th when he was sacked I don't think it can be said that he was/is a poor manager. He did OK, could have done better but could have done a whole lot worse.

Corney seems to say what suits him at the time. It was him who started the 'botton four budget' talk last season in an interview in 442. Then when everyone else starts mentioning it it became a top ten one. The club was apparently the farthest away from administration in our division not long ago, then we're dead in five years if we don't move to Failsworth, then at the forum, we'll still survive at BP but with hefty cut backs. Now apparently our budget is bigger than last years after being told there had been a reduction.

Anyway. people will always disagree on former manager and players (or even current ones). I suppose something had to be done to halt the slide we were in, and Penney's in charge now and if everybody backs him I'm sure we'll find him to be a good 'un. Whether he can take us up time will tell, but he'll have to do it quickly or the natives will soon be on his back.

Corney seems to say what suits him at the time. It was him who started the 'botton four budget' talk last season in an interview in 442. Then when everyone else starts mentioning it it became a top ten one.

As Oldham Sheridan has pointed out, it's very very simple. We began the season with a bottom 4 wage bill but, due to the massive influx of loanees, it grew into a top ten one mid-season, before being culled again by Big Joe.

Wage bill fluctuation had nothing to do with people mentioning it, it was to do with changes to the playing squad.

I love the way know one really knows but still argues their corner :) For what its worth I cant believe we could ever afford a top 5 budget, and I very much doubt we have ever been in the bottom 4. My guess would be our budget being somewhere in the middle for every season Shez was in charge.

I love the way know one really knows but still argues their corner :) For what its worth I cant believe we could ever afford a top 5 budget, and I very much doubt we have ever been in the bottom 4. My guess would be our budget being somewhere in the middle for every season Shez was in charge.

Nobody knows, but some of us were happy to accept what official sources claimed. Particularly when it wasn't in their interest to say it if it wasn't true..... :wink: