If Failsworth Fails?

Well, it might be an "ideal" area, but once you've done an access road to the super-high capacity freeway of ripponden road, what will you do with the traffic then?

People who are (and they may have some good reasons) against failsworth have cited traffic issues. Some of the same people think ripponden road has more capacity than broadway + oldham road?

I think some people are stumbling in the dark

Mind you, on the other hand, think of the vast crowds of people we might tap in to round counthill. The crowds will soar exponentially no doubt. :huh:

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Counthill was just an idea, anywhre but FAILsworth IMO Counthill wont happen

saying that an access road could be built which leads traffic onto Waterworks Road, down Culvert Street (at the side of the old Orb mill) and onto Huddersfield Road.

that would leave 4 traffic routes, there is enough room on that site to build 2 stadiums - if only

So tell me - who the hell is going to trek up to Counthill to use the other facilities built around the stadium to provide income streams for the club? Conferencing? Gym? Hotel??? Up there?!?!?!?

Exactly...

I would suggest there are two sites... BP or Failsworth... I haven't seen anywhere else that can work...

Maybe ferney fields but that would seem a little far fetched...

Edited by oafc0000

So tell me - who the hell is going to trek up to Counthill to use the other facilities built around the stadium to provide income streams for the club? Conferencing? Gym? Hotel??? Up there?!?!?!?

the same people who would use the facitities at BP, Ferney Fields or FAILsworth :blink:

the same people who would use the facitities at BP, Ferney Fields or FAILsworth :blink:

No they wouldn't. Those three sites are 5 minutes (at most) from the motorway network and close to town and various related amenities. Counthill's more like 20 minutes and is in the middle of nowhere. That makes a big difference.

No they wouldn't. Those three sites are 5 minutes (at most) from the motorway network and close to town and various related amenities. Counthill's more like 20 minutes and is in the middle of nowhere. That makes a big difference.

fussy people these conference facitlity needing people then are they not :grin:

its not that far from the M62 junction and there is no other place in Oldham i would rather wake up (in a hotel) with the views you can enjoy

like i say i know it wont happen, but its got to be better than Manchester

I'd love to have a proper development on the Hollinwood "Gateway" site. However, that is prime development land that will (one day) fetch the council far more money than a football stadium development would.

Unfortunately, that is the truth of it.

Hollinwood Gateway has everything going for it - Excellent motorway links, a good catchment area, brilliant transport infrastructure, and a good sized plot. No wonder the council are lying through their teeth about 'contamination issues' and other obstacles - they know exactly how valuable the site is commercially, and a stadium wouldn't bring a fraction of the revenue that several businesses will when the current climate improves.

No, they'll just stick the stadium in a distant corner of the borough and hope they can somehow find some money to begin the second phase of regeneration at Hollinwood, in the knowledge that it will eventually bring in multi-millions that they can further squander.

Unfortunately, that is the truth of it.

Hollinwood Gateway has everything going for it - Excellent motorway links, a good catchment area, brilliant transport infrastructure, and a good sized plot. No wonder the council are lying through their teeth about 'contamination issues' and other obstacles - they know exactly how valuable the site is commercially, and a stadium wouldn't bring a fraction of the revenue that several businesses will when the current climate improves.

No, they'll just stick the stadium in a distant corner of the borough and hope they can somehow find some money to begin the second phase of regeneration at Hollinwood, in the knowledge that it will eventually bring in multi-millions that they can further squander.

+1

Isn't the Hollinwood site absolutely spot, bang, right on the border with what many people are now calling "manchester"?

Isn't most of the population that might be attracted at that site residents of what is now called "manchester"?

Aren't those people all citeh/manure?

Isn't the Hollinwood site closer to citeh's council house?

Haven't all these points been used against Failsworth?

I'm sure when an out of town ground share was rumoured, many people said we must stay in Oldham MBC. When a site is suggested within Oldham MBC, people say it must be in "old"Oldham, whatever that is. :huh:

Isn't the Hollinwood site absolutely spot, bang, right on the border with what many people are now calling "manchester"?

Isn't most of the population that might be attracted at that site residents of what is now called "manchester"?

I'm sure when an out of town ground share was rumoured, many people said we must stay in Oldham MBC. When a site is suggested within Oldham MBC, people say it must be in "old"Oldham, whatever that is. :huh:

ferney field farm....farmers on his backside financially,give em the option of football or a prison

But isn't that practically Middleton? :unsure:<_<

nope its chadderton

accessed either by foxdenton lane or ferney field road,in chadderton

it doesnt become middleton until you go under the bridge at the railway and linnet

easy accessed via broadgate and surrounding roads,good range of bus services from oldham manchester middleton etc,there is even rail access via millshill and there is a disused train stop at the railway and linnett which could be brought back into service if need be.

the farmers greed and the clubs dithering scuppered it last time....if failswoeth goes bely up this would be ideal placement and appease those fans not wanting the club to lose its identity to manchester.

But isn't that practically Middleton? :unsure:<_<

It's on the border with middleton, which has a manchester postcode, but the site is just (right on the border with another borough though!) in oldham MBC. It might be noted that pieces of land were exchanged between the old parishes of Midd and Chadd, so the site might have been part of Middleton M24 at one point in history.

I've included the MBC bit as Chadderton is not part of "old"Oldham, in fact it only became part of Oldham in 1974 (same time as somewhere else... erm..).

Previous efforts for Oldham to annex it were thwarted by the Chadderton council, they didn't want to be part of Oldham!

it was me who mentioned the Counthill school, golf course sites, cant think of anywhere else around here

counthill school is a huge site, an access road could be built where the ski slope is onto Ripponden Road

What, you mean Counthill School which is being retained in part for the new School which is going on what used to be Orb Mill?

What you mean the golf course which is owned by the company that did all the tipping and has rubbish transport links and probable issues with contamination?

ferney field farm....farmers on his backside financially

Who told you that, his banker? I would have thought that information was confidential.....or could it be that you're (at best) speculating or (at worse) just making it up?

Who told you that, his banker? I would have thought that information was confidential.....or could it be that you're (at best) speculating or (at worse) just making it up?

Also pre-supposes that if he is desperate to sell that nobody would be in a position to offer him more than us. It's just so easy to point at any piece of land and say, "I want that one."

Also pre-supposes that if he is desperate to sell that nobody would be in a position to offer him more than us. It's just so easy to point at any piece of land and say, "I want that one."

exactly, did no-one believe Corney when he said that they'd identified and dismissed numerous sites? Ian Hill (surveyor) is on the board, I think I'd believe his reasoning for discounting a site rather than some know-it-all on here spouting their mouth all in the name of 'having a debate'. Did anyone take up Alan Hardy's offer to email him, if anyone could find a 30-acre site in Oldham? No? Well that answer's the question.....

Unless the Council / Latics are gunna start CPO-ing land a la Derker, a 30-acre site isn't gunna come forward very often. And even then, I suspect it wouldn't make financial sense.

It would be in Oldham though. Unlike the proposed Failsworth site. That's a biggy for many of us, in case you haven't noticed.

Granted, it would be next door to Failsworth, Manchester...but it would still be in Oldham and, more to the point, closer to our heartland than the proposed Failsworth site which is actually almost Moston/Newton Heath AND a lot closer to COMS...not that the proximity to COMS is bothering me.

Edited by Yard Dog