Southampton Preview: Pardew "Oldham are a big club" shock disclosure!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pardew's comments may be for 'domestic consumption,' but if not he clearly cannot know about the club's intentions to build a stadium with a much smaller capacity than Southampton's average home attendance (and smaller than even some of our attendances in recent years). Clearly not the actions of a club that 'wants to get back to the big time.'

Pardew's comments may be for 'domestic consumption,' but if not he clearly cannot know about the club's intentions to build a stadium with a much smaller capacity than Southampton's average home attendance (and smaller than even some of our attendances in recent years). Clearly not the actions of a club that 'wants to get back to the big time.'

You could send him an email. :wink:

He may have said that but hes just saying it to try make sure his team arnt complacent, don't think for a second he believes it.

"They restricted Charlton last week and I'm not sure if they'll do that against us"

"Oldham are unbeaten and look a strong team who are organised"

That to me says he thinks we are going to get men behind the ball and defend. Those are his only comments about us so its good to see he hasn't done his homework.

Lets compare ourselves to Southampton who nearly bankrupted themselves after building a new stadium that they couldn't fill and got a point deduction. Good example there!!

He may have said that but hes just saying it to try make sure his team arnt complacent, don't think for a second he believes it.

"They restricted Charlton last week and I'm not sure if they'll do that against us"

"Oldham are unbeaten and look a strong team who are organised"

That to me says he thinks we are going to get men behind the ball and defend. Those are his only comments about us so its good to see he hasn't done his homework.

Exactly. We're not a big club - we all know that - and the fact he's saying that is very patronising. There's having respect and there's taking the piss. Tosser.

Perhaps Pardew has studied previous fixtures between OWTB and OWTS:

1993/1994 Wed 30 Mar Southampton 1 - 3 Oldham Ath. PREM

1993/1994 Sat 05 Feb Oldham Ath. 2-1 Southampton PREM

1992/1993 Sat 08 May Oldham Ath. 4 - 3 Southampton PREM

1992/1993 Sat 31 Oct Southampton 1 - 0 Oldham Ath. PREM

1991/1992 Sat 25 Apr Southampton 1 - 0 Oldham Ath. PREM

1991/1992 Sat 05 Oct Oldham Ath. 1 - 1 Southampton PREM

1989/1990 Wed 31 Jan Oldham Ath. 2 - 0 Southampton LGEC

We heard you the first time.

and the second

and the 10th

and the 50th

and the 100th

and the 1,000th

and the 3,000th

adn the 3,407th

Your point was as valid the first time as it is now. There are elements of truth, but it is conveniently ignore the reasons for it, and any discussion of those you ignore.

So it's boring if you only concentrate on the one dimensional aspect of it rather than enlarge the debate.

Ergo I'd love to have a lengthy debate on it, but you just want everyone agree 12,000 lacks ambition.

I'd be nice for you to take a more sophisticated tack on the subject, but it is the monotone approach you have that means everyone hits back. Doesn't mean they don't understand the point, just they just switch off.

Edited by singe

Unfortunately there are plenty in Oldham equally in the dark, although many knew a lot about us back in the days when we beat them 4-3 in 'The Great Escape'.

Ive gotta admit , when I was doing the Charlton Interview with an opposition fan I though for a while thought Pardew was still there :petesake:

Lets compare ourselves to Southampton who nearly bankrupted themselves after building a new stadium that they couldn't fill and got a point deduction. Good example there!!

It would have been if I'd compared us to Southampton, but I didn't.

It's always a good idea to read what people actually post before responding.

We heard you the first time.

and the second

and the 10th

and the 50th

and the 100th

and the 1,000th

and the 3,000th

adn the 3,407th

Your point was as valid the first time as it is now. There are elements of truth, but it is conveniently ignore the reasons for it, and any discussion of those you ignore.

So it's boring if you only concentrate on the one dimensional aspect of it rather than enlarge the debate.

Ergo I'd love to have a lengthy debate on it, but you just want everyone agree 12,000 lacks ambition.

I'd be nice for you to take a more sophisticated tack on the subject, but it is the monotone approach you have that means everyone hits back. Doesn't mean they don't understand the point, just they just switch off.

Everybody doesn't hit back. There's a small band of nodding dogs, of which you are one, who constantly follow me around, crying at me.

Far from ignoring the reasons for the clubs possibly terminal decline, I always lay them bare. They're hardly a mystery, after all.

I'd love to hear your 'sophisticated tack on the subject', however.

I can think of, maybe, two attendances over 12k in recent years, one of which was a giveaway. So while accurate strictly speaking, your comment doesn't really tell the whole story, does it?

I'm talking about since relegation to the wilderness. We have, if you include cup games, topped 12000 on at least half a dozen occasions in that time.

Which is, of course, beside the point, as any club with serious ambitions to establish itself in the Championship would be aiming to regularly attract over 12000 supporters, however remote the prospect might seem at present. That's why even the likes of Rotherham and Doncaster build stadiums bigger than the one Latics are proposing. The latter shows no intention whatsoever of establishing the club in the Championship.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I'm talking about since relegation to the wilderness. We have, if you include cup games, topped 12000 on at least half a dozen occasions in that time.

Which is, of course, beside the point, as any club with serious ambitions to establish itself in the Championship would be aiming to regularly attract over 12000 supporters, however remote the prospect might seem at present. That's why even the likes of Rotherham and Doncaster build stadiums bigger than the one Latics are proposing. The latter shows no intention whatsoever of establishing the club in the Championship.

Rotherham will, I predict, go bust for the third time within a few years, and they may not come back from it. They are an extremely ambitious club.

Chelsea, Man City, QPR Play Off, Blackpool Play off, Hudders in the cup and Grimsby on Celebration day

These are the only time we have topped 12K in the last 15 years..... 4 of those games attracted 4500 visiting fans and one was a free giveaway.... Not once have we come close to filling it in over 350 league games at BP in this time. All have been cup or Play off games.

Whether or not you think 12K is not big enough i think the stats prove otherwise.... Besides if we ever do make it to the championship and hopefully start selling out week in week out our new stadium is being build with the option to expand.

Edited by NIKI1234

Chelsea, Man City, QPR Play Off, Blackpool Play off, Hudders in the cup and Grimsby on Celebration day

These are the only time we have topped 12K in the last 15 years..... 4 of those games attracted 4500 visiting fans and one was a free giveaway.... Not once have we come close to filling it in over 350 league games at BP in this time. All have been cup or Play off games.

Whether or not you think 12K is not big enough i think the stats prove otherwise.... Besides if we ever do make it to the championship and hopefully start selling out week in week out our new stadium is being build with the option to expand.

I thought Hudds in the cup was about 11½ thousand? Below capacity as I don't think it was a sell out.

CJ - I have a question. Did you go on the march from the Town Hall to BP in support of the planning application?

I thought Hudds in the cup was about 11½ thousand? Below capacity as I don't think it was a sell out.

CJ - I have a question. Did you go on the march from the Town Hall to BP in support of the planning application?

It was not a sell out but was over 12K, i checked :huh:. In fact in addition to your comment none of the play off games were sell outs either