Dean Brill

You are determined to hate him,

We have kept 10 clean sheets this season,

brill has made 9 of them in 25 appearances

flavahan kept 1 in 8 games..

Given that form flav would keep 3 in 24 games..

If the league was based on clean sheets kept we would be 8th brill responible for 9 of them..

he is a decent keeper, dodgy start, improved, stop saying he is rubbish, stop putting your teams players down

I kept hearing this clean sheets stat earlier this season...it's laughable...it's as though the keeper is solely responsible for these! You'll find posts of mine in August to end of September saying give the lad a chance. Also ones saying when the defence is being as leaky, I'll not have a go at the keeper. Since then, the defence has improved but he carries on with his errors. In the games he's had clean sheets he's had little to do thanks to his men infront...Walsall's the perfect example, where he sythed down Byfield and was extremely lucky not to be sent off. He got away with it. He didn't at Colchester, a week later with his cock up. The guy has cost us lots of points be it early on when the whole backline wasn't performing or now. The fact the defence has performed better in recent months has only minimalised his antics. Today, yes, he saved us some points. I acknowledge that...it's about bloody time he did! Let's hope he continues to do so and stops wandering off his line when he's little chance of getting to a ball.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? I don't think when we've lost that he's actually had many saves to make. The defence has vastly improved over the months and Brill's had one or two saves in a match to make. Which at times he does. And when he does, he then follows it up with an error. Colchester's the perfect example...saves a 1 on 1 in the 1st half and then in the 2nd half comes out like a clown for a ball he's never going to win. That was about all he had to do that game! 0-1.

The thing is bb80, Brill is improving. How good will he get in the end? With encouragement from the fans of course

I kept hearing this clean sheets stat earlier this season...it's laughable...it's as though the keeper is solely responsible for these! You'll find posts of mine in August to end of September saying give the lad a chance. Also ones saying when the defence is being as leaky, I'll not have a go at the keeper. Since then, the defence has improved but he carries on with his errors. In the games he's had clean sheets he's had little to do thanks to his men infront...Walsall's the perfect example, where he sythed down Byfield and was extremely lucky not to be sent off. He got away with it. He didn't at Colchester, a week later with his cock up. The guy has cost us lots of points be it early on when the whole backline wasn't performing or now. The fact the defence has performed better in recent months has only minimalised his antics. Today, yes, he saved us some points. I acknowledge that...it's about bloody time he did! Let's hope he continues to do so and stops wandering off his line when he's little chance of getting to a ball.

If you was saying give the lad a chance back in agust/september when he was making alot of mistakes, now that he has improved (and you can not deny that) why are you saying thats he utter rubbish etc? Would you rather him play terrible and say oh yeah give the lad a chance, or play better than he has done earlier in season and say he rubbish? You contradict yourself.

He has saved us points though, in some games he has made alot of saves that have stopped us losing, e.g. yesterday with the penalty save.

Yes the defence has improved, so has the GK and defence communication, and i'll be honest, we look more secure at the back now with Brill in net, than when we had flavahan in net.

If you was saying give the lad a chance back in agust/september when he was making alot of mistakes, now that he has improved (and you can not deny that) why are you saying thats he utter rubbish etc? Would you rather him play terrible and say oh yeah give the lad a chance, or play better than he has done earlier in season and say he rubbish? You contradict yourself.

He has saved us points though, in some games he has made alot of saves that have stopped us losing, e.g. yesterday with the penalty save.

Yes the defence has improved, so has the GK and defence communication, and i'll be honest, we look more secure at the back now with Brill in net, than when we had flavahan in net.

Definitely improved and I like the way he comes out early second half to properly warm up. As he catches the various crosses/shots he continually shouts 'keeper' or summat - he is not too bad at the moment and is actually one example of a player at Latics who has improved since he joined us :lol:

Yes he has improved against the amount of unforced errors from earlier in the season and does have more confidence currently. BB80 makes reference that Brill seems to be coming out for balls he's no chance of making like the goal we conceeded recently at Wallsall. However it's a fine line for a keeper, earlier in the season he was rooted to the line when balls that are in a keepers remit become goals for the oppo. A keeper that commands his area will help out the defence a great deal as they know anything in the 8/10 yards of goal the keeper will collect which allows them to defend the box from the penalty spot and outwards. It's all about making the right choices at the right times for a keeper, whether to stay put or to go and collect. Whether he'll make the ball before the oppo and once there holding onto it.

I am far happier seeing Brill venture off his line than not as him catching balls stops point blank headers which are hard to stop and allows the defenders to defend balls they should be defending. However it's the choice of decision that catches Brill out now and again and 89 mins of great work can go down the pan in that instant. Brill is not a bad keeper full stop but these bad choices needs more help and then we'll see. His recent LW interview he came across as a nice lad, made him a real person and not just someone on the pitch.

Yes he has improved against the amount of unforced errors from earlier in the season and does have more confidence currently. BB80 makes reference that Brill seems to be coming out for balls he's no chance of making like the goal we conceeded recently at Wallsall. However it's a fine line for a keeper, earlier in the season he was rooted to the line when balls that are in a keepers remit become goals for the oppo. A keeper that commands his area will help out the defence a great deal as they know anything in the 8/10 yards of goal the keeper will collect which allows them to defend the box from the penalty spot and outwards. It's all about making the right choices at the right times for a keeper, whether to stay put or to go and collect. Whether he'll make the ball before the oppo and once there holding onto it.

I am far happier seeing Brill venture off his line than not as him catching balls stops point blank headers which are hard to stop and allows the defenders to defend balls they should be defending. However it's the choice of decision that catches Brill out now and again and 89 mins of great work can go down the pan in that instant. Brill is not a bad keeper full stop but these bad choices needs more help and then we'll see. His recent LW interview he came across as a nice lad, made him a real person and not just someone on the pitch.

I think that your point about him being a 'real person' is something that we all sometimes forget.

All of these guys (and I include the management team) are just like us at the end of the day - none of them goes out to play poorly or make incorrect decisions - they are all human and ultimately doing a job. I will continue to support/criticise/ as I have always done but I'll also tinge my comments with some consideration for the man out there ( :huh: )

Edited by TheBigDog

Clean sheet again last night............................but dropped three balls again and three very loose kicks early doors!!!! exactly what I've been saying, not entirely a bad a keeper but throws in some terrible gaffs. The gaffs didn't cost him last night but on another day???

Clean sheet again last night............................but dropped three balls again and three very loose kicks early doors!!!! exactly what I've been saying, not entirely a bad a keeper but throws in some terrible gaffs. The gaffs didn't cost him last night but on another day???

You will derive no pleasure, but you saw it coming Lags. :(

somethings telling me that you went to today's game lags....

:grin: :grin:

Aye and seen most of his other gaffs. Brill isn't totally bad, he can actually do most things, it's just that every game he does most things wrong at least once. Unfortunately for him he's the last line of defence which means goals against.

Not defending him or anything but the defence didnt help by not closing Betsy down and allowing him so much time and space.

But yes should of been an easy save.

Jordan would have gone down quicker on Peter Andre after the bust up than Brill did today. Brill went down in more installments than a Brighthouse £3000 loan!!!

Edited by Lags

I wish these muppets who go and heckle him the rest of the game would lay off, to be honest.

One second where you lose concentration as a striker means absolutely nothing to anyone, you generally even get a clap if you make any kind of contact with the ball!

The same error as a keeper, and suddenly you're the worst thing since God knows what!

He's been solid at home recently (don't go away, so can't comment), and it's mistakes like that which are the difference between good League 1 player and good Championship player.

I wish these muppets who go and heckle him the rest of the game would lay off, to be honest.

One second where you lose concentration as a striker means absolutely nothing to anyone, you generally even get a clap if you make any kind of contact with the ball!

The same error as a keeper, and suddenly you're the worst thing since God knows what!

He's been solid at home recently (don't go away, so can't comment), and it's mistakes like that which are the difference between good League 1 player and good Championship player.

Given the severity of his blunder, I'm surprised nobody did heckle him! The lad got off very lucky indeed.....

As for the rest, well that's goalkeeping for you...........