Regionalisation of lower leagues?

With the idea of regionalisation being touted again by the powers that be, i just wondered what fans' opinions are?

As we've recently seen on another thread, we have a fair scattering of 'tics up and down the country (and beyond)

I imagine our OASIS boys especially would be against the idea, but what would happen if it was implemented?

I can see the logic of trying to attract bigger crowds to the local games and also cutting down on travelling costs etc with savings made on overnight stays. More local derbies SHOULD mean increased attendances.

I myself though favour leaving things as they are, call me a traditionalist, but i like to travel around the country watching my team and feel as though we would lose something if changes were made.

Can anybody see this happening anytime soon or is it just more 'pie in the sky?'

To be honest, attendances wouldn't increase any. Maybe for teams in Division 4, not us though.

E.g. We'd get no more on the gate if we played Morecambe or Accrington at home than if we played Swindon or Yeovil. Ok, games like Bury or Rochdale might, but that's about it. Standard of football would worsen, and we'd more or less seal a future forever in the bottom division.

Been done to death. No ta!

To be honest, attendances wouldn't increase any. Maybe for teams in Division 4, not us though.

E.g. We'd get no more on the gate if we played Morecambe or Accrington at home than if we played Swindon or Yeovil. Ok, games like Bury or Rochdale might, but that's about it. Standard of football would worsen, and we'd more or less seal a future forever in the bottom division.

You are entitled to your opinion....but just how long do you think we could survive in this division if it remains heavily dominated by southern teams?

We are down on average by about 1500 and have had a steady if not spectacular start on the field...if our form dips we could be down by 2000 or more which would equate to about £30,000 a week, over the full season it would represent a fortune!

If that happens I think you can safely say our standard of football wouldl definitely get worse!!!!

Despite what you say about regionalisation, it would reduce costs, crowds would increase and with that so would our budget!!

You are entitled to your opinion....but just how long do you think we could survive in this division if it remains heavily dominated by southern teams?

We are down on average by about 1500 and have had a steady if not spectacular start on the field...if our form dips we could be down by 2000 or more which would equate to about £30,000 a week, over the full season it would represent a fortune!

If that happens I think you can safely say our standard of football wouldl definitely get worse!!!!

Despite what you say about regionalisation, it would reduce costs, crowds would increase and with that so would our budget!!

Our budget would not increase, the owners would just write a smaller amount on thecheque each month as opur overspend would be a bit less.

I think we all cans ee how costs would decrease, but we don;t knwo the percentage of travelling cost v the entire costs each month.

I think it debateable that crowds woudl definately icnrease.

Southampton brought almost 750-1,000 I cannot recall the exact figure, if we played Darlington, Grimsby, Morecambe, Lincoln instead, I doubt that would be the case.

Edited by singe

...but the division isn't going to stay dominated by Southern teams is it?

These things go in fits and starts. It'll be normal again soon enough*.

*Although if the season was to end now, it would be worse.

Jeez lads, newer members might be unaware this subject has been brought up so many times.......Chillax!! :lipsrsealed2:

It has been done at least twice since you joined and while it may look good on paper wouldn't actually work in practice. As I said in the other topics done on this Norwich would technically be in League 1 North this season and if you look at Blue Square 1 north (the highest regional league) Gloucester are in it so Blyth Spartans some good 5 hours away (without any traffic problems) have to travel that far to play a game in a regional league- not exactly super regional is it.

It is a possibility that next season we could lose all our local derbies. Leeds and Hudds could be promoted, and Stockport and Tranmere could be relegated...What then?

Then we get to travel a fair bit?

It isn't going to change soon, and by the time it does (if it does) then it will probably have evened up again.

I'm sorry, but I don't want to be watching nigh on non-league teams at Boundary Park week in week out. Well, not just yet.

It is a possibility that next season we could lose all our local derbies. Leeds and Hudds could be promoted, and Stockport and Tranmere could be relegated...What then?

But equally, Doncaster and Barnsley could get relegated and Bury and Rochdale could get promoted.

It has been done at least twice since you joined and while it may look good on paper wouldn't actually work in practice. As I said in the other topics done on this Norwich would technically be in League 1 North this season and if you look at Blue Square 1 north (the highest regional league) Gloucester are in it so Blyth Spartans some good 5 hours away (without any traffic problems) have to travel that far to play a game in a regional league- not exactly super regional is it.

For God's sake there will always be a few disadvantaged teams but looking at the bigger picture it has to be worth consideration!!!

Ok, costs would reduce. Save on the distance for coach trips, save on hotels bills. But in the scheme of things they are not huge costs. Wages are the huge cost.

As for gates going up - it'd be marginal. The 2 main constraints on gates are cost and time. An away involves time. The distance is an issue, but between a 100 mile and a 200 mile away it's not that much. Both involves most of the day being given up.

The cost is not that much different as the main cost is the ticket price. 4 in a car for 100 miles = £15 in petrol = £3.75 each. 4 in a car for 200 miles = £7.50 each. In both cases, once you've added tickets, a bit of food/drink, the £3.75 difference is hardly relevant.

£20 tkt + £5 food + £5 drinks = £30, so £33.75 or £37.50 - hardly gonna swing gates up massively is it?

And the southern domination is just a one -off. Not something you should make long term decisions on.

Is that not proof that the standard of football would get worse? As thing stands, in a Northern division, we would be playing mainly league 2 clubs.

Also, regionalisation would take us one relegation away from the non-league. All that takes is one bad season and we are out of the league.

Better than liquidation!!!

Quit scaremongering.

In an even weaker overall league, our budget would be cut and lower standard of players would be brought in. The overall standard drops, the owers would be looking to cut more off the overrall weekly losses. Yep, maybe we'd stabilise a bit but simply write off any chance of promotion and establisment of a Championship place because that won't happen.

The crowds increasing over the course of a season is a myth. Are you honestly telling me, that apart from Rochdale, or at a push Bury that more Oldham fans would come if we were playing the likes of Darlington, Lincoln and Macclesfield? Even the away fans wouldn't go up that much, despite closer distances. You'd naturally get a little rise, given the novelty and change, but a couple of seasons later we'll be worse off. And like Dave Ragg says, we'd be only one step away from Non-League. For what?

Oh, we save a bit of petrol money, Wow! All looks like we're willing to gamble on things, because people are a little bit bored of us playing Swindons and Gillinghams.

And the southern domination is just a one -off. Not something you should make long term decisions on.

Quite. It was only a few seasons ago when it was a more Northern dominated division with the likes of Hull, Sheff Wednesday, Scunny, Donny, Bradford, Barnsley in it.

What was the reason it failed last time ?

Surely that is where this discussion should start from...

This is absolutely the starting point for the discussion.

Was the change from regionalisation of the old 3rd division in to the newer 3rd and 4th divisions (now league one and two) considered beneficial?

What was wrong with the old structure back then?

Also, regionalisation would take us one relegation away from the non-league. All that takes is one bad season and we are out of the league.

Bloody good point. It mgiht be stating the obvious, but it's something that had never crossed my mind before.

To be honest 7 teams leave/join this league every season. Within 4 years there could be 24 completely new teams playing in League One. It's swings and roundabouts.

Talk of lower league football en masse going bust / part-time is nonsense though. The game in the lower levels is richer (financially) than ever. Admission prices have accelerated way ahead of inflation over the last 2 decades and new incomes from sponsorship and television have come in to the game that weren't there 20 years ago.

Most clubs have chosen to spend this new wealth on player wages. The average lower league footballer earns a lot more now (in real terms) than they did in the early eighties. Yes, one or two clubs will go in to administration and occasionally one will disappear altogether. But the basic structure is healthy and I don't see the need to change it - especially as any savings/income generated from regionialisation would simply end up in the player's pockets.

Edited by opinions4u

I don't even recall us getting particularly big gates against Bury at home in the fairly recent past, and last time I looked Rochdale didn't exactly have a travelling army of thousands.

Regionalisation might come, however, as professional football at this level starts to unravel with the wider economy. If you think we have rich and poor clubs now...

Only until people realise that the quality of football has declined even from what we get to 'enjoy' now.

Amateurish stuff for amateurish clubs is what we'll be served up. The way things are looking, we'll be one of 'em.