Did We Lose By Any Chance

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just found it strange for him to say he trusts penny to build a good sign when two of the players where his signings...

i think in fairness penny is a better type of manager than our previous 3...and in fairness has had to cut his cloth accordingly to coincide with budget constraints etc etc...

whittacker,lee,greegan,hazell,lomax,smalley,taylor,brooke all here before penny came.

i think the 2 players we have just signed on loan look decent players,and wouldnt mind the keeper staying longer..

but its time,this season should be about adjusting to new playing styles and patterns,not instant success...

i think in fairness penny is a better type of manager than our previous 3...and in fairness has had to cut his cloth accordingly to coincide with budget constraints etc etc...

whittacker,lee,greegan,hazell,lomax,smalley,taylor,brooke all here before penny came.

i think the 2 players we have just signed on loan look decent players,and wouldnt mind the keeper staying longer..

but its time,this season should be about adjusting to new playing styles and patterns,not instant success...

Not so sure about that but we will see :)

You have to have some sympathy for Penney, he brings his main man with him from Darlington (Purdie), probably with the intension to gel the team around and he’s out for most of the season. Latics do have dead wood which they need to get rid of (Parker, Colbeck and Whittaker IMO), but give DP time and he will design a good solid team.

It's just a shame he brought in some of the so called 'deadwood'. Don't get me wrong I like Penney and I think he'll get it right if we give him time, but we have wasted some money this season. Parker who I actually think is ok, isn't what we need at all, plenty of running and makes intelligent runs, but we need a clinical striker to work closely with Abbott who will bag for fun if he has a player alongside him to properly link up with. The only way Parker should play is in a 3 man attack in my opinion. Whittaker is an average squad player, sometimes shows real potential but it's far too infrequent so i'd agree to get rid. Colbeck I just don't see what Penney sees. He does nothing that I couldn't (in fact i'm better than Colbeck, I really am) He's a half decent non league standard player and that's about it and he has no footballing brain whatsoever, it's a shame because he's a trier, but he isn't good enough. To be honest I don't particularly like Worthington either if i'm honest, can't pass at all and I think we would be a better team with 2 ball players in the centre who can mix it a little rather than a pure battler, which is all he offers for me, basically a slightly better JP Kalala.

We need a striker to work with Abbott, a decent midfielder and a winger (although we should remember Purdie is yet to come back) and I don't think we're that far off. Fortunately teh defence has sorted itself out, much to do with Gregan in my opinion who made Beckford look amateurish tonight. People have over reacted again to a defeat, we played ok, not spectacular, we have a few missing links in the team, but they had one shot on goal that was a half chance really until the last minute when they got their second. We had a few decent chances and wasted them, we could easily have won and looked very confortable in doing so because they didn't look dangerous at any point. THeir lad scores a belter off the underside of the bar and our lad fluffs his lines from 18 yards with the goal at his mercy. On another day, their shot ends up on Clayton Playing Fields and we go 1-0 up through Colbeck and see out the rest of the game. The only thing they did better than us was keep the ball, they didn't have any cutting edge and despite our toothless forward line we had the chances to win the game in all honesty. That's how it goes though.

I might be wrong but I am sure at the start of the season the TTA said he had a competitive budget to push for promotion...

thats as maybe...but what do you class as a decent budget????

it cant compare to the likes of leeds,charlton southampton and norwich..all of who have far superior support to ours..southampton pay 1million for a striker....how can the likes of us compete with that.

they are hardly going to come out ans say we have a next to nothing budget this season..they wouldnt shift the season tickets we have if they did that.