Confessions of a stay-away

It's a bit tricky as an exile - you either plan it way ahead or you spend a fortune on travel (I don't drive). I almost bankrupted myself going to about the last 14 games of our most recent play- off season after telling myself I would leave it for a couple of games but buying on the day tickets for home games on impulse, not good. This season it's been a bit odd. We all felt a bit funny at the back end of last season, it seemed to me more that I was there to respect Big Joe than see the team. It's sort of kicked on from there for me. I couldn't make the first game at BP for the first time in a few years for other peoples' marriage reasons, and I have had a few things on personally that have made it hard for me to plan ahead what I want to be doing on a Saturday 4 weeks hence, and before you know it, you aren't going to the match and it's the norm, go out Friday, sleep in Saturday.

Sod it. I'm a Latics fan.

And I want to see if Jeremy Beadle rises from beyond the grave to reveal his pun with the American lasses.

I share the malaise - but I am going to fight it and come through the other side as an Oldham Athletic supporter.

See you all at Exeter home.

I'm doing my Christmas shopping that day, but I'll catch a game.

Hertha against Leverkusen :grin: (alright the day before).

Surely you are going to Naaaariich? If not the game just the beforehand drinking and lying in the gutter?

Edited by OldhamSheridan

It's a bit tricky as an exile - you either plan it way ahead or you spend a fortune on travel (I don't drive). I almost bankrupted myself going to about the last 14 games of our most recent play- off season after telling myself I would leave it for a couple of games but buying on the day tickets for home games on impulse, not good. This season it's been a bit odd. We all felt a bit funny at the back end of last season, it seemed to me more that I was there to respect Big Joe than see the team. It's sort of kicked on from there for me. I couldn't make the first game at BP for the first time in a few years for other peoples' marriage reasons, and I have had a few things on personally that have made it hard for me to plan ahead what I want to be doing on a Saturday 4 weeks hence, and before you know it, you aren't going to the match and it's the norm, go out Friday, sleep in Saturday.

And I want to see if Jeremy Beadle rises from beyond the grave to reveal his pun with the American lasses.

I share the malaise - but I am going to fight it and come through the other side as an Oldham Athletic supporter.

Yup well said... I will be at the Exeter game...

The attendance has got too low...

Edited by oafc0000

Are they coming to that game ? :D

I'm guessing you don't do Facebook :) Makes sense for me anyway. I don't want my first home game to be the Christmas one, that's far too much like when I was a student and found out about the club from the BBC at about 5.05 on a Saturday.

jolly well done that man from landan for a stirring pep talk....no doubt it'll put a bum on the next home game i'm sticking my neck out here and predicting a crowd of 3403... :grin: :grin: :grin:

Not sure it will make a massive difference. I get the feeling people are not coming for other reasons.

The "other reasons" are side shows.

If the football is good and the commitment on the pitch is there then people will turn up. But it can be a slow build to win them back.

If the football is :censored:e (and it has been since January) you might turn up for a bit but as soon as the half-time pie is unavailable, you can't get a pint (or some other poor service issue) it tips you over the edge.

For me the MK Dons game and the last 30 minutes yesterday are the reasons I go to football matches. I'd hazard a guess many others are the same. If Dave Penney gets his team to do that week in week out the new marketing manager will have an easy life.

What pisses me off is that Latics need as many bodies through the gate as possible. So what do we hope to gain by the clearly superior fans who seemingly manage to do :censored: all else with their lives, calling out the casual supporters and hounding them out of the the fanbase. Cretins. You can do a lot of damage with that approach, instead of warding off the so-called sub standard fringe supporters, perhaps we can sell yesterdays game to get them back into BP? Y'know a bit of encouragement?

And you can stop the internal dialogue, yeah I haven't been much this season - but BP is not exactly a place of happiness is it? And to be honest if some of the post entries on here over the course of the early hours this morning is anything to go by, it makes you wonder how much - as fans - are we to blame for most of this ill-feeling.

What pisses me off is that Latics need as many bodies through the gate as possible. So what do we hope to gain by the clearly superior fans who seemingly manage to do :censored: all else with their lives, calling out the casual supporters and hounding them out of the the fanbase. Cretins. You can do a lot of damage with that approach, instead of warding off the so-called sub standard fringe supporters, perhaps we can sell yesterdays game to get them back into BP? Y'know a bit of encouragement?

And you can stop the internal dialogue, yeah I haven't been much this season - but BP is not exactly a place of happiness is it? And to be honest if some of the post entries on here over the course of the early hours this morning is anything to go by, it makes you wonder how much - as fans - we are to blame for most of this ill-feeling.

You know Rummy you are spot on.

Latics do need as many bodies as possible through the turnstiles as possible and it is no good fans having a go at each other on here particularly if they are, shall we say, "fuelled up" after a couple of shandy's on a Saturday night. I personally hope and want the likes of 0000 and Kyle back through the turnstiles more than anything else. For some reason 0000 seems to have an issue with me and I have offered to meet up and have a chat over a drink, if that brings him back to the fold. That offer remains, but I will not debate his issues on here.

Last night got too peronal and thats why I logged off, but people also need to be careful about what they say, especially when they accuse others of for eg lieing, as they are leaving thenselves open to legal action and perhaps the mods could just remind everyone of that.

The main thing that will bring fans back is a winning team, that has been proved time and time again over the years, under Friz, Big Joe, Dowie and to an extent Shez. When the team starts losing, then issues like the crap stadium, demolishing the Lookers, no pies, not being able to get a pint etc etc give people the added reasons for not turning up and before you know it the buzz has gone and people are doing other things as a matter of course.

The "match day experience" is an important factor in a fans day for a fair % of fans and that is why either re-developing BP or moving to a new stadium is an absolute must, because along with the addditional revenue streams that will be created, those who are bothered by the "match day experience" rather than just the match itself, will be kept happy and less likely to have a reason to jack in watching the team when things are not going so well on the pitch.

Your right as well, those who aren't going need to be "encouraged" by those who do, not pilloried for it. Make a plea to them, because after all it is "THEIR" club as well.

True the atmsophere in the ground these days is poor and the constant debate on here about the atmosphere in the Chaddy and Rocky is not helping. We used to have 2 stands that sung in the Chaddy and the Lookers its just that the Lookers has been replaced by the Rocky. Neither side of that argument is going to win the debate whilst we remain at BP.

People should also remember that a lot of fans cannot attend every game, for various reasons. I know some who cannot attend night matches, becasue they have no public transport that will get them home to the likes of south manchester. Then there are the fans spread all over the country, in the North East, Lincolnshire, London, Exeter, etc. Most attend a fair few home games and also some away games, in fact for those in the south this season must be a god send. There again :lol:

So people come on stop the bickering, times are not good at the moment as the team struggle to get to grips under our new manager, the stadium issue is agonisingly slow (necessarily due to the process required) and there is uncertainty in the air. The next 3-4 months are crucial to the future and we as fans need to stick together not start bickering because that will the beginning of the end.

Cheers,

Harry