x*X*x Festive Football Advent Calendar! x*X*x

30t0tmp.jpg

Okay, here goes - the Festive Football Advent Calendar! Each day I'll be asking who's behind the next days' door, I'll give a little clue (they're not that hard) to help you along! Here's tomorrows 1st door!

Dec 1st

Born in Newry, this International player started his sporting life with Shamrock Rovers at an early age, and poured his efforts into GAA. Although he went on to play footy for Watford, this player made his name in the Capital with some bitter rivals. He once made Alex Stepney look daft!

Who behind the 1st door? All will be revealed tomorrow, plus I'll give you the clue for the second door....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oafc_ok was mascot and carried a bottle of champagne onto the pitch, to be presented to Pat Jennings to commemorate his 1000th league game. What team was Jennings playing against that day and for which oafc_ok was the mascot?

Considering I was doing a little research on him, I think I know this. West Brom?

Considering I was doing a little research on him, I think I know this. West Brom?

CORRECT.

oafc_ok's sister was a WBA fan and they were both in the Junior Throstles. He was picked out of the draw to be mascot on one of Jennings' big days. The WBA captain was keeper Paul Baron, who presented the champagne.

21ctfrp.jpg

Pat Jennings is our Dec 1st! Here's a clue for tomorrows footy face...

Who is Dec 2nd?

Born in Farnworth in 1953 this Lancashire lad built his career East Anglia, culminating in FA Cup and UEFA cup winners medals. He had 8 years dipping in and out of International football scoring 13 goals in 35 appearences - he went on to play in America before coming full circle and returning to Chorley.

2niwmrr.jpg

Paul Mariner was our number 2. Tomorrows Dec 3rd clue...

Dec 3rd

Born in Burton-upon-Trent, this player scored goals wherever he went, however he certainly saved his his best days for the blues. In the 80's he went on to manage a team consisting of amongst other players - Steve Taylor, Keith Hicks and Ronnie Moore...

2q9gcx1.jpg

Behind the 3rd December's door was Vic Halom.

Here's the 4th clue...

Dec 4th

Born in Bologna, Italy on the 13th February 1960 this well known footballing face has been involved in some of biggest games in football, from the Serie A, to the 2004 UEFA cup final, the Champions League final in 1999 to the World Cup final in 2002...

*yawn*

Morning all.

qn8guo.jpg

Collina was behind December 4th's door...

Here's a clue for door 5.

Dec 5th

Born on 25th January 1942, this player was once his country's top scorer and that's no surprise. He made his international début against Luxembourg on 19 October 1961, 5 years later he was ripping up the World Cup in England being the tourneys top scorer - six of which were scored at Goodison.

We're keen today...

ejycqs.jpg

Lying in wait behind December 5th's door was Eusebio (ho ho).

Dec 6th clue...

Dec 6th:

Coming from Akureyri, Iceland this player had been brought into the 1989 Nottingham Forest side for Akureyri by Brian Clough, who said at the time that "He was the best player I [Clough] have ever signed!". He later achieved cult status at Stoke City...

Sorry I was in Norwich and unable to keep up, thanks to Ryan for helping out for a day or so...

On the 6th day was indeed Toddy...

zmdwqo.jpg

I'll do the clue for the 7th Dec reveal it later, then post the 8th clue up...

Dec 7th

This much-travelled footballer was born in Liverpool in 1951. Although he played in claret and blue for the best years, he also had stints at (amongst others) Forest, Wolves and Portland Timbers - although he didn't play alongside Ron Futcher there. This mystery player scored a winning goal in a European Cup Final against Bayern Munich.

Sorry I was in Norwich and unable to keep up, thanks to Ryan for helping out for a day or so...

On the 6th day was indeed Toddy...

zmdwqo.jpg

I'll do the clue for the 7th Dec reveal it later, then post the 8th clue up...

Dec 7th

This much-travelled footballer was born in Liverpool in 1951. Although he played in claret and blue for the best years, he also had stints at (amongst others) Forest, Wolves and Portland Timbers - although he didn't play alongside Ron Futcher there. This mystery player scored a winning goal in a European Cup Final against Bayern Munich.

peter withe