Rene Steer ?

Why isn't he getting a look in now he is fit ?......he appeared quick and useful during the pre season.

And whatever happened to the 6 or 7 Hungarians..I know some have gone home, but I thought the big centre back was still here, if so why isn't he in the first team squad now there's a centre back crisis ?

Edited by BP1960

Why isn't he getting a look in now he is fit ?......he appeared quick and useful during the pre season.

And whatever happened to the 6 or 7 Hungarians..I know some have gone home, but I thought the big centre back was still here, if so why isn't he in the first team squad now there's a centre back crisis ?

He's playing tonight for the reserves at Stalybridge, as are two of the Hungarians. Aside from that, it is virtually a youth team game with starts for:

Laquan

McCall

Eaves

DJ &

McGrath

David Mellor (a schoolboy) is on the bench. There are no run-outs for the likes of Blackman, Stephens, Lee, Brooke etc. It shows just how hard the injuries are biting and the fact that we can't risk any more...

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1893160,00.html

He's playing tonight for the reserves at Stalybridge, as are two of the Hungarians. Aside from that, it is virtually a youth team game with starts for:

Laquan

McCall

Eaves

DJ &

McGrath

David Mellor (a schoolboy) is on the bench. There are no run-outs for the likes of Blackman, Stephens, Lee, Brooke etc. It shows just how hard the injuries are biting and the fact that we can't risk any more...

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1893160,00.html

If the Hungarians are not capable of stepping in to the first team why are they here ?

If the Hungarians are not capable of stepping in to the first team why are they here ?

No idea, pal. I have never got to the bottom of that one. What I do know is that they're no better than what we have at the club and if they're stopping our own young players from getting time on the pitch, then it is all wrong.

Anyway, I'm off to Stalybridge...

I've pondered this for a while now, what the hell is this tie up with the Hungarians all about? I can see what the Hungarians are getting out of this, experience of a different type of football and culture, but what are Latics getting out of this?

I've pondered this for a while now, what the hell is this tie up with the Hungarians all about? I can see what the Hungarians are getting out of this, experience of a different type of football and culture, but what are Latics getting out of this?

Perhaps the new stadium will be in Budapest, some would prefer that to Failsworth...do EasyJet fly there ? :grin:

Well lets hope so, it would be something at least! I hope to god we are not paying for there digs etc. what a waste that would be!

its purely a question of my half, but as takemeanywhere says,if they are not good enough and they are taking a place of a latics youngster up,just what is the benefit to oldham athletic??

we had a reputation of a very good youth set up,where they could be put into the stiffs fairly quick..with these here,that reputation isn't holding up anymore.

it would be VERY interesting to know the ins and outs of this arrangement...but guess what i think? <_<

I would hope that we are playing the long game.

Setting thigs up for the future, and OAFC Academy.

Not every player is ready for the first team (as BP1960 knows far better than everyone on here) straight away,s ome need a few years.

They are only kids, are they not?

Come 19 or 20 and they are not knocking on the door of the first team then it needs reviewing, but so far.

And if the Hungarians are paying...

EDIT FOund the answer thanks to Webmokey

On fishul dated 17th Nov

3 went back to Hungary to receive treatment for injuries that are keeping them out till New Year at least.

SO I donlt thinkw e will be paying much...

All 3 have been in the squad at soem point but not yeat made an appearance.

So I think it fair to say we are doing a bit of what we should be doing.

building a team from the kids.

Edited by singe

its purely a question of my half, but as takemeanywhere says,if they are not good enough and they are taking a place of a latics youngster up,just what is the benefit to oldham athletic??

we had a reputation of a very good youth set up,where they could be put into the stiffs fairly quick..with these here,that reputation isn't holding up anymore.

it would be VERY interesting to know the ins and outs of this arrangement...but guess what i think? <_<

THey were on the fringes of the team.

Most are injured

They are not even in this country but back in Hungary.

Grassy Knoll clear of all supects.

THey were on the fringes of the team.

Most are injured

They are not even in this country but back in Hungary.

Grassy Knoll clear of all supects.

fringes of the first team? is that the "official" take on it?

as "takemeanywhere" says.. they are no better than we've already got..and he should know.

more questions than REAL answers..

fringes of the first team? is that the "official" take on it?

as "takemeanywhere" says.. they are no better than we've already got..and he should know.

more questions than REAL answers..

If you want a conspiracy theory, they are easy to find.

Come on they are kids, they should not be anywhere near the first team. They should be nurtured.

I am most defaintely, from the benefit personal experience, not one of those that advocates chucking them in the deep end to sink or swim.

Build them up steadily and reap the rewards.

If they had been chcked into the first team, the same people arguing get rid would be saying they are rubbish get rid.

Like Taylor, like Black, like Ollerenshaw.

Trouble with the kids of today want everything instantly, they think you can win the Champions LEague in 5 season

I blame Championship Manager.. ...

If you want a conspiracy theory, they are easy to find.

Come on they are kids, they should not be anywhere near the first team. They should be nurtured.

I am most defaintely, from the benefit personal experience, not one of those that advocates chucking them in the deep end to sink or swim.

Build them up steadily and reap the rewards.

If they had been chcked into the first team, the same people arguing get rid would be saying they are rubbish get rid.

Like Taylor, like Black, like Ollerenshaw.

Trouble with the kids of today want everything instantly, they think you can win the Champions LEague in 5 season

I blame Championship Manager.. ...

I asume all the Hungarians are all to old to play in the Latics youth team, so you would expect some 19 year olds to be challenging for a first team place. I would say Tom Eaves at 17 is closer than them.

Just to gain a better understanding of this deal- Are we basically just being used by Liverpool to train up players that would normally be in their youth team?

If so surely Liverpool should be putting some money into our training facilities or wages for the youth coaches?

No. I think me and you have more chance of running out at Anfield than these Hungarian lads.