New Ground

Now I know we have touched on this delicate subject before but here goes.

Oldham Council have done naff all for us over the last 20 years or so in fact they have positively hindered our progress as a viable football club.

We have been Oldham Athletic for over 100 years and apart from League 1 runners up ( I think ) just before the war, an FA Cup semi final in 1913 and obviously the pinch me seasons of the early nineties we haven't achieved very much in the way of silverware.

If our move to Failsworth goes ahead we will be effectively be on the very edge of the Oldham Borough. With this in mind do the town of Oldham really deserve a proffesional football club bearing their name? (personally I don't think they do)

I also don't think the move in our present guise will attract much extra support from the Failsworth area and can still see a gradual decline in attendances unless we are able to improve the product on the pitch.

The orginal name of our club up until 1899 as many will know was 'Pine Villa'...............Bearing in mind what has happened at dare I say it MK Dons, do you think a renaming/rebranding of the club coinciding with our move to Failsworth would create interest additional interest to the nuetrals from Failsworth.

It's not as if we will be selling our souls and historically we would still be the same club.......I think a change of name back to that of Pine Villa could actually be the start of a whole new era!!!

Thinking about it.............could it work?

Opinions anybody?

Moving to Failsworth is bad enough but changing name would be the last nail in the coffin for sure....

Infact given the location the the TA barracks we should become the "Territorial Athletic F.C", every week we get new players drafted in from around the country, would fit in well with all the loan signings we've had in recent years.

Now I know we have touched on this delicate subject before but here goes.

Oldham Council have done naff all for us over the last 20 years or so in fact they have positively hindered our progress as a viable football club.

We have been Oldham Athletic for over 100 years and apart from League 1 runners up ( I think ) just before the war, an FA Cup semi final in 1913 and obviously the pinch me seasons of the early nineties we haven't achieved very much in the way of silverware.

If our move to Failsworth goes ahead we will be effectively be on the very edge of the Oldham Borough. With this in mind do the town of Oldham really deserve a proffesional football club bearing their name? (personally I don't think they do)

I also don't think the move in our present guise will attract much extra support from the Failsworth area and can still see a gradual decline in attendances unless we are able to improve the product on the pitch.

The orginal name of our club up until 1899 as many will know was 'Pine Villa'...............Bearing in mind what has happened at dare I say it MK Dons, do you think a renaming/rebranding of the club coinciding with our move to Failsworth would create interest additional interest to the nuetrals from Failsworth.

It's not as if we will be selling our souls and historically we would still be the same club.......I think a change of name back to that of Pine Villa could actually be the start of a whole new era!!!

Thinking about it.............could it work?

Opinions anybody?

How about Manchester County

i drove past Chesterfields new ground a couple of times today (still being built obviously), you know the MIGHTY CHESTERFIELD?

apparently chesterfields is 20k, and to be honest with you its quite upsetting the way we are going :disappointed:

I drove passed Darlo's ground 8 times in one day last week, imagine how I felt........ :disappointed:

so we are building a stadium with less capacity than a current league 2 side - very very sad

The current average attendance is 1/2 of the ground's 10 thousand capacity, so we should still have plenty of room at the new ground you miserable git.

The current average attendance is 1/2 of the ground's 10 thousand capacity, so we should still have plenty of room at the new ground you miserable git.

Suppose we should be jumping for joy at the prospect of a massive, new 10k stadium in Manchester then ?

Corp, tell the man.

:lol:

you obviously havent got a clue have you, 'happy clapper' or 'nodding dog', take your pick its your choice son

I drove passed Darlo's ground 8 times in one day last week, imagine how I felt........ :disappointed:

What did you get lost? Serioulsy Darlo had that ground exterior built and looking quite fancy 8 years ago- in the summer before Dowie's playoff season when they were almost as bad as they are now. I'm not fully sure of where the money went but the bloke who financed it was more than a bit dodgy and now has some 'bird' behind him. It hasn't done them much good despite having a nice shiny stadium do you know who holds the record attendance due to concerns over health and saftey, one Reg Dwight. Darlo had a fancy bowl stadium built to match their ambitions but unfortuantely they didn't have reasonable ambitions and now it is a bit of a joke round these parts.

What did you get lost? Serioulsy Darlo had that ground exterior built and looking quite fancy 8 years ago- in the summer before Dowie's playoff season when they were almost as bad as they are now. I'm not fully sure of where the money went but the bloke who financed it was more than a bit dodgy and now has some 'bird' behind him. It hasn't done them much good despite having a nice shiny stadium do you know who holds the record attendance due to concerns over health and saftey, one Reg Dwight. Darlo had a fancy bowl stadium built to match their ambitions but unfortuantely they didn't have reasonable ambitions and now it is a bit of a joke round these parts.

They were the then chairman's ambitions rather than the club's. I doubt that any Darlington fan shared his fond notion that the club could be 'bigger than Middlesbrough.'

They were the then chairman's ambitions rather than the club's. I doubt that any Darlington fan shared his fond notion that the club could be 'bigger than Middlesbrough.'

So when Chris Moore came in with the ambition of getting us into the Premiership (or top end of Championship) at roughly the same time you were saying too high of an ambition were you?

Quite a few Darlo fans will know that Middlesbrough are Middlesbrough 1986 and they were about 30 minutes from going bust back then so they may well have believed him. You keep going on about a lack of ambition at the club but when someone points out that ambition needs to be matched with resources and be achieveable you turn it on its head and say too much ambition- make up your mind.

Basically you are frustrated at the town and the council because they have done crap all to support their football team.

Changing the name is not the answer. Its frustrating to see a town that doesn't give a :censored: with a council that is well.... :censored:, unbelievably :censored:. But it is cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Something still needs to be done to get the people of Oldham behind their own football team, not subscribing to this watch TV and "support" X Y or Z rich club trend that is killing football.

And something needs to be done about the :censored: council who put us in this situation of failsworth or bust and seems would be happy to see OAFC cease to exist.

What can you do though? Nothing.

So when Chris Moore came in with the ambition of getting us into the Premiership (or top end of Championship) at roughly the same time you were saying too high of an ambition were you?

Quite a few Darlo fans will know that Middlesbrough are Middlesbrough 1986 and they were about 30 minutes from going bust back then so they may well have believed him. You keep going on about a lack of ambition at the club but when someone points out that ambition needs to be matched with resources and be achieveable you turn it on its head and say too much ambition- make up your mind.

I was never convinced about Moore's talk of the PL. He wasn't that convinced himself, if I remember correctly. I did believe that, had his money lasted, we'd have ended up back in the second-tier, though. I've never actually believed that the PL would ever again be in the grasp of this club since we fell out of it, but the potential is definitely there to make an impact on the Championship and challenge for the play-offs. Or more correctly, it was still there before the effect of the false dawns took hold, and the decision was taken to downscale and move to Failsworth. When that happens we'll never see the second-tier again.

It doesn't matter that Middlesbrough nearly went bust. All Darlington fans will surely be aware that they are, historically and in actuality, a much bigger club in a bigger town. It has nothing to do with having no ambition. The chairman would have done better to say that he aimed to get Darlington into the Championship and then see what happens, and to build a 15000 capacity stadium. What he actually said was akin to somebody trying to convince us that we could have been bigger than the pre-Arab takeover Man City.

Basically you are frustrated at the town and the council because they have done crap all to support their football team.

Changing the name is not the answer. Its frustrating to see a town that doesn't give a :censored: with a council that is well.... :censored:, unbelievably :censored:. But it is cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Something still needs to be done to get the people of Oldham behind their own football team, not subscribing to this watch TV and "support" X Y or Z rich club trend that is killing football.

And something needs to be done about the :censored: council who put us in this situation of failsworth or bust and seems would be happy to see OAFC cease to exist.

What can you do though? Nothing.

didnt the charlton fans put candidates up in the local elections got them what they wanted when it looked like the incumbents might loose there covated seats ? Worth a try ?