Wolves

Surely that's illegal, isn't it (assuming all ten aren't injured!)?

A couple of years ago when Stoke fielded a weakened team against us, meaning we stayed up and Northampton went down, didn't Northampton appeal to the FA?

Reckon Chelsea should give it a go - they might listen to a big team!

Surely that's illegal, isn't it (assuming all ten aren't injured!)?

A couple of years ago when Stoke fielded a weakened team against us, meaning we stayed up and Northampton went down, didn't Northampton appeal to the FA?

Reckon Chelsea should give it a go - they might listen to a big team!

Just had all the football fans at work bleating about this...

"It's ridiculous, all those poor Wolves fans who shelled out £50 for tickets"

"I was listening to Talksport and :blahblah: "

My only comment was something along the lines of...

"Point taken, but why not look at the root cause of Mick McCarthy's decision? The root cause is the obscene financial imbalance between being a Premier League club and a Football League club, a situation which actually instigates a whole load of more significant problems than McCarthy feeling it beneficial to field a weakened team for a league match. Of course you people don't recognise these other issues as you're not football fans, you're merely people who hold football as your favourite TV show."

The comment went down like a lead balloon - some were offended whilst some looked at me like I'm an alien. These idiots are meant to be professionals. :petesake:

"Point taken, but why not look at the root cause of Mick McCarthy's decision? The root cause is the obscene financial imbalance between being a Premier League club and a Football League club, a situation which actually instigates a whole load of more significant problems than McCarthy feeling it beneficial to field a weakened team for a league match. Of course you people don't recognise these other issues as you're not football fans, you're merely people who hold football as your favourite TV show."

The comment went down like a lead balloon - some were offended whilst some looked at me like I'm an alien. These idiots are meant to be professionals. :petesake:

Think I'll file that one for future reference! :grin:

Absolute nail on the head!

Everyone know's there's a financial inbalance, but McCarthy's decision has got to be another nail in the coffin for smaller clubs. The FA are dying for an excuse to penalise lower clubs and McCarthy's just given them an enormous bat to hit them clubs with.

Eaxactly if the bigger clubs have a problem with it they can always distribute the tv and sponsorship money more evenly throughout football don't expect the armchair fans to understand this though.

How many times have Man U done this over the past few years when they had the league sewn up. Remember united playing a weakened team vs west ham and losing, which resulted in sheff utd going down and west ham staying up?

Dont remember the fa saying owt then

I think bearing in mind libel laws we might want to keep clear of this one.

Is it only me who doesn’t have a problem with this? Every club rotates their squads according to the opposition and the competition, McCarthy is there to make the best decisions as he sees fit for his club, not to try and do anyone else a favour. So long as the players he picks are registered to the squad and are doing their best then I don’t really think it’s anyone else’s lookout frankly.

Is it only me who doesn’t have a problem with this? Every club rotates their squads according to the opposition and the competition, McCarthy is there to make the best decisions as he sees fit for his club, not to try and do anyone else a favour. So long as the players he picks are registered to the squad and are doing their best then I don’t really think it’s anyone else’s lookout frankly.

I agree entirely.

I think bearing in mind libel laws we might want to keep clear of this one.

Why? They did.

Teams like United do it, but they usually have the league/group stage qualification sewn up when they do it on such a large scale, so have earned the right to. Wolves, on the other hand have not got safety sewn up at all. If I were a Wolves fan I would be severely pissed off that the manager just decided to give up lose the game.

Why? They did.

Teams like United do it, but they usually have the league/group stage qualification sewn up when they do it on such a large scale, so have earned the right to. Wolves, on the other hand have not got safety sewn up at all. If I were a Wolves fan I would be severely pissed off that the manager just decided to give up lose the game.

No, it is not the particular relationship apart from each other between Mr Ferguson and Mr Curbishley that I am not on about at all. In any way.

Like Leeslover, I have no problem with this. McCarthy planned his team carefully. Conserved his better players for games he thought he could win. Nothing illegal about it all - it might contravene regulations (not laws!) but the FA would be in a world of pain if they tried enforcing that, given it wasn't exactly his youth team and many other clubs have played second strings this season (Everton in Europe? Arsenal in the Cup?). Maybe those other situations aren't subject to the same regulations but morally/philosophically the point is the same.

The fans should stop whining; judge McCarthy on his results.

Is it only me who doesn’t have a problem with this? Every club rotates their squads according to the opposition and the competition, McCarthy is there to make the best decisions as he sees fit for his club, not to try and do anyone else a favour.

Mick McCarthy says he's had a lovely letter from Tiger Woods thanking Mick for taking the heat off him. He says Tiger is driving round singing "Super Mick" at the moment. :lol: