World Cup 2018 Stadiums

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Home Park

Not so hilarious when you see what they are planning though.

Surely Plymouth aren't traditionally a 'bigger' club than Latics?!

No, certainly not, but they've a huge expanse of the country to exploit, with no higher level football club remotely near them. With a bit of investment, Plymouth could potentially be a very large club.

I do think their 47,000 planned stadium is perhaps 10-15k too big though.

Milton Keynes is not a hotbed of football and has no history of football and shouldn't be considered. At all.

The fact that Derby, Leicester and Hull have been overlooked in favor of MK is a disgrace. All 3 cities have a rich history of football in the city for over 100 years. Derby even regularly pull in 30,000 fans in the second tier.

Whether or not MK is a hotbed of football is irrelevent. It's is it good for football fans to get to and able to allocate enough tickets. They deem that it is and the fact that it is a new town/football club/stadium is neither here nor there.

Having said that Hull should have got it at this point. I guess they think the ground is too small there. Leicester is a parking nightmare which is where I guess that lost out. Derby I thought would be in there too, but hey-de-ho it's getting to six and two three's now.

The stadium list will be reduced to 12

So what would you go for ?

I would go for:

Birmingham - Villa Park

Bristol - New Ashton Vale Stadium

Liverpool - Anfield or New Anfield

London - Wembley

London - Emirates Stadium

Milton Keynes - Stadium:MK

Manchester - Old Trafford

Nottingham - New Nottingham Forest Stadium

Sheffield - Hillsborough

Newcastle/Gateshead - St James' Park

Leeds - Elland Road

Plymouth - Home Park

I would drop:

London - New White Hart Lane Stadium or Olympic Stadium

Sunderland - Stadium of Light

Manchester - City of Manchester Stadium

Edited by oafc0000

Somehow you have MK in and out but....

In

Birmingham - Villa Park

Leeds - Elland Road

London - Wembley

Plymouth - Home Park

Sheffield - Hillsborough

Out:

Manchester - City of Manchester Stadium (no need for two in Manchester)

Edited by OldhamSheridan

The stadium list will be reduced to 12

So what would you go for ?

I would go for:

Birmingham - Villa Park

London - Wembley

Manchester - City of Manchester Stadium

Sheffield - Hillsborough

Plymouth - Home Park

I would drop:

Leeds - Elland Road

Elland Road will be in there because Leeds itself is pretty well geared for tourists with hotels, bars, restaurants etc. More so than MK, Plymouth or to a lesser extent Bristol.

All other one stadium... Over reaction ?

It will be good for that area...

And thats the problem. That city stole a football club. Professional football in that city needs to die, because the precedent that has been set is a big problem. Having a world cup stadium there is only going to help them survive/prosper.

If Milton Keynes is going to get games, I hope Russia get the tournament.

To me, it's just not about the team that plays there. there is a sizeable population that will be near to that ground with good transport systems. I hate the team as much as the next guy, but this is an international bid, which is a bit different.

For the same reason the new international stadium should have been in either Peterborough (my preference) or Coventry.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

And thats the problem. That city stole a football club. Professional football in that city needs to die, because the precedent that has been set is a big problem. Having a world cup stadium there is only going to help them survive/prosper.

It's still a tough one this. you can't blame the person doing this as he would have just seen a club into extinction. You can't blame Milton keynes as it has done them a world of good. you can't blame ordinary folk for watching cheap football on their doorstep. Which leaves just one culprit (the FL). I hate the way it happened, but can people please direct this at the people that allowed it to happen.

Professional football will flourish there as it is a big place with many people. One way or another.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

No, they could have just got relegated down the leagues.

He was more sold a pig in a poke though, wasn't he?

As a normal person, would you have got relegated down the leagues making millions of losses and little chance of coming back with no chance of building a decent stadium; or would you have gone to a different city (incorrectly given the opportunity in my view) and stopped reasonably solvent?

It's still a tough one this. you can't blame the person doing this as he would have just seen a club into extinction. You can't blame Milton keynes as it has done them a world of good. you can't blame ordinary folk for watching cheap football on their doorstep. Which leaves just one culprit (the FL). I hate the way it happened, but can people please direct this at the people that allowed it to happen.

Professional football will flourish there as it is a big place with many people. One way or another.

I've no problem with professional football flourishing there...as long as it is done the right way. Milton Keynes doesn't deserve a league team. Wimbledon didn't deserve to have their club stolen. Ok, so Wimbledon go out of business then someone else who has earnt the right takes their place. There is a whole pyramid, so MK has stolen someone elses rightful place in the league. If they wanted a league team, the city should have got behind the local non league team and supported them to get them in the league.

The FL stinks. And it was Lord Mawhinney who was part of the selection process for the cities. Thank f**k he is retiring soon. The whole thing stinks.

I've no problem with professional football flourishing there...as long as it is done the right way. Milton Keynes doesn't deserve a league team. Wimbledon didn't deserve to have their club stolen. Ok, so Wimbledon go out of business then someone else who has earnt the right takes their place. There is a whole pyramid, so MK has stolen someone elses rightful place in the league. If they wanted a league team, the city should have got behind the local non league team and supported them to get them in the league.

The FL stinks. And it was Lord Mawhinney who was part of the selection process for the cities. Thank f**k he is retiring soon. The whole thing stinks.

i'm thinking we are all arguing the same point here.

It's :censored:, I hate it, but it's the Football league that let me, you, Wimbledon and the whole structure down.

Edit: We may differ on the choice of cities though.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

Wimbledon didn't deserve to have their club stolen.

Just like Oldham doesn't deserve to lose there ? Besides the dross support ? MK are supporting that team a lot more than Wimbledon ever did. Now that is a fact.

Don't get me wrong I was pissed off when it all happened but its time to move on.

Edited by oafc0000

Just like Oldham doesn't deserve to lose there ? Besides the dross support ? MK are supporting that team a lot more than Wimbledon ever did. Now that is a fact.

Don't get me wrong I was pissed off when it all happened but its time to move on.

Wimbledon's support was dross? Just because there is only a few of them doesn't make them bad supporters. And just because there are only a few of them doesn't mean they should have their team stolen from them.

He was more sold a pig in a poke though, wasn't he?

As a normal person, would you have got relegated down the leagues making millions of losses and little chance of coming back with no chance of building a decent stadium; or would you have gone to a different city (incorrectly given the opportunity in my view) and stopped reasonably solvent?

He chose to buy it in the first place.

Anyway, if I was Winkleman I would take neither if those choices, I would dig a large pit, climb in it and kill myself, having previously arranged for some workmen to fill the hole with acid and cap it with concrete.

Wimbledon's support was dross? Just because there is only a few of them doesn't make them bad supporters. And just because there are only a few of them doesn't mean they should have their team stolen from them.

They was getting something like 2,000 in the Champions league. You asked if Wimbledon deserved to have there team taken away. Wimbledon did not seem to be all the arsed I would suggest.

They was getting something like 2,000 in the Champions league. You asked if Wimbledon deserved to have there team taken away. Wimbledon did not seem to be all the arsed I would suggest.

When were Wimbledon in the Champions League?!

Wimbledon did not seem to be all that arsed? Eh? You can't just make stuff up.

When were Wimbledon in the Champions League?!

oppss I meant to type Championship but the tv is banging on about the Champions League and messed my head up :lol:

Wimbledon did not seem to be all that arsed? Eh? You can't just make stuff up.

The 2,000 or so that where left gave a :censored: granted... But where was the rest of them ?

Just like Oldham... The town could not give a :censored: so I would suggest the idea that Oldham deserved a football club to be laughable statement.

Edited by oafc0000

oppss I meant to type Championship but the tv is banging on about the Champions League and messed my head up :lol:

The 2,000 or so that where left gave a :censored: granted... But where was the rest of them ?

Just like Oldham... The town could not give a :censored: so I would suggest the idea that Oldham deserved a football club to be laughable statement.

Yes, but the 2,000 were there. 2,00 of you an I. If that's your philosophy - let's just do away with it and all support the best supported team in the country - Man Utd.

The less than 2000 (I think it was around 1000) they were getting was because the fans had decided that if you are moving us then you can p**s off. Before it was announced they were still getting around 5000.

Whether or not they are good crowds is not an issue. What you are saying is that unless you have good crowds, you dont deserve a football club. You are saying Wimbledon didn't deserve their club, and Oldham don't deserve theirs. I go watching my team at every home game, and a few away games, regardless of how good it is. What you are saying, is because the rest of the town can't be arsed, the 3500 diehards (of which I am one) do not deserve their club.

Wimbledon were getting around 4-5000. Ok, maybe they wouldn't have survived much longer in the Championship, but they deserved their place in the football league (as does Oldham) as it has been earnt throughout history of football. To suggest that anywhere that has a team that has earnt this right doesn't deserve it because crowds are low, is quite frankly, the biggest loads of bollocks I have seen anyone spout on this site.