Get This Move Right

Forget all this failsworth is in Oldham/Manchester sh*te and it's only 3-4 miles down the road....it might as well be 30!

I am Oldham born and bred ( and proud of it ) and i feel no affinity towards failsworth at all, not in the same way as i can relate to royton, chadderton, shaw etc.

TTA rightly so, will be eternally regarded as our saviours who rode into town at the eleventh hour in those dark desperate days and saved our club from the unthinkable and i will be forever grateful for that, But.....................................

Will these same guys be the ones who take us away from our heartland and preside over our demise?

IMO the indications are that we will be getting a 4 sided flat pack stadium ( forget expansion, it won't happen )

The 11 000 capacity although for now perfectly adequate, does not reflect a club with lofty ambitions and doesn't set my heart racing.

This move needs to be right, once the bulldozers move in on BP then it's too late....There's no going back!

I see the local bounty hunters ( the likes of jon arnold, simon hewitt et al ) are already sharpening the knives and looking for long forgotten council minutes to stop latics in their tracks once more. If they had their way every bit of grass in and around Oldham would be protected!

I recently flagged my back lawn and fully expected a visit from this posse!

I don't want to be a doom and gloom merchant but i just can't shake off the feeling that this particular move isn't right.

BAH HUMBUG

Anyway merry xmas to all.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget all this failsworth is in Oldham/Manchester sh*te and it's only 3-4 miles down the road....it might as well be 30!

I am Oldham born and bred ( and proud of it ) and i feel no affinity towards failsworth at all, not in the same way as i can relate to royton, chadderton, shaw etc.

TTA rightly so, will be eternally regarded as our saviours who rode into town at the eleventh hour in those dark desperate days and saved our club from the unthinkable and i will be forever grateful for that, But.....................................

Will these same guys be the ones who take us away from our heartland and preside over our demise?

IMO the indications are that we will be getting a 4 sided flat pack stadium ( forget expansion, it won't happen )

The 11 000 capacity although for now perfectly adequate, does not reflect a club with lofty ambitions and doesn't set my heart racing.

This move needs to be right, once the bulldozers move in on BP then it's too late....There's no going back!

I see the local bounty hunters ( the likes of jon arnold, simon hewitt et al ) are already sharpening the knives and looking for long forgotten council minutes to stop latics in their tracks once more. If they had their way every bit of grass in and around Oldham would be protected!

I recently flagged my back lawn and fully expected a visit from this posse!

I don't want to be a doom and gloom merchant but i just can't shake off the feeling that this particular move isn't right.

BAH HUMBUG

Anyway merry xmas to all.

:sleeping:

They are all valid points, but there are about 200 other threads saying the same thing....

I was born and brought up next to where Pine Villa used to play... never heard a peep from anyone saying "we should never have changed our name and moved".

Buses do go outside the County Borough's boundary you know.

It's not about the travelling for me ( i drive so no problem ) i just believe the location is all wrong. There doesn't appear to be an alternative though so it's catch 22, stay at a delapidated BP and find progress very difficult or move to failsworth and HOPE it pays off.

It's not about the travelling for me ( i drive so no problem ) i just believe the location is all wrong. There doesn't appear to be an alternative though so it's catch 22, stay at a delapidated BP and find progress very difficult or move to failsworth and HOPE it pays off.

I've said it before, but it's a :censored:e state of affairs....

Nobody deep down thinks Failsworth is the right location. Nobody. But there genuinely seems no alternative.

I feel for the Directors as I am as certain as I can be that they're doing what they think is the best for the club. But many of us can never agree with them on this one.

Edited by Yard Dog

I was born at Boundary Park and grew up in Coldhurst Ward. I have no more affinity with Failsworth than I do with Chadderton, Royton, Lees, Saddleworth, Shaw and Crompton. I am now told the heartland for Latics is Coldhurst, even though Boundary Park is situated only yards from the Coldhurst boundary with Royton and Chadderton. The Club is not called Coldhurst Athletic. What about all the other Wards such as Alt, Central Oldham, Clarksfield, Coppice, Derker, Freehold, Glodwick, Greenacres, Hathershaw, Hollins, Hollinwood, Holts, Sholver, Westwood and Yew Tree? Our Club is Oldham Athletic and it is imperative that its home is somewhere within the Oldham Borough. Nobody has been able to come up with a site which meets all the criteria. So Failsworth remains the proposed site.

I've never wanted to move from Boundary Park under any of the pevious proposals and I stlll don't. At the moment plans are being prepared ready for an exhibition in January, as part of the process for consultation with fans and the general public. When we see the plans and artist's impressions, etc., we'll be in a better position to understand and, if necessary, criticise the proposals.

Meanwhile it's not worth spoiling Christmas by worrying about what might or might not become reality.

This is the crux of the matter. For somebody who, like me, started watching Latics in the early 1970s, and became used to years of (on the whole) upwards progress, the removal of any real prospect of getting out of this division and staying out of it for another long period, kills everything that was interesting about the club. I just can't get excited about the prospect of endless years of fixtures involving the likes of Wycombe and Cheltenham. Or Aldershot and Accrigton. Or Forest Green Rovers and Stevenage. I daresay I'll be along to the new ground (if it gets built) but after three decades of being a season ticket holder (except when working away), it will be infrequently, I think. If we drop into the fourth division I won't be going at all. Enough is enough. The club has take the pee too much in the last fifteen years. Creating a new Bury or Rochdale, when similar clubs in similar towns to Oldham manage to find ways of reaching for, and attaining, PL status, is beyond a joke, though.

And when I stop going I stop for good. I doubt if I'm the only one to think this way.

Anybody who thinks a sub-12000 ground capacity indicates anything other than the desire to keep the club merely functioning as a lower division outfit, is deluding him/herself. Talk of expansion is, meanwhile, nothing but a sick joke.

I know its been said before but Oldham Borough and Oldham town are two different things. Tameside decided to name their collective borough Tameside rather than after one of the larger towns in the area e.g. Ashton.

Failsworth is as much in Oldham Borough as the towns of Royton and Chadderton are. I am from Saddleworth and have as much connection or affection for Failsworth as I do Royton, none. Post codes don't matter really do they? Lets not have it built in Shaw coz their phone numbers start 01706!!!

Saddleworth isn't in Oldham, Shaw isn't in Oldham, Royton isn't in Oldham, Failsworth isn't in Oldham they are all towns in their own rights. They all do however fall within Oldham Borough Council's boundaries and therefore I can't see the problem with Latics playing in any of those towns.

Edited by ritchie82

I know its been said before but Oldham Borough and Oldham town are two different things. Tameside decided to name their collective borough Tameside rather than after one of the larger towns in the area e.g. Ashton.

Failsworth is as much in Oldham Borough as the towns of Royton and Chadderton are. I am from Saddleworth and have as much connection or affection for Failsworth as I do Royton, none. Post codes don't matter really do they? Lets not have it built in Shaw coz their phone numbers start 01706!!!

Saddleworth isn't in Oldham, Shaw isn't in Oldham, Royton isn't in Oldham, Failsworth isn't in Oldham they are all towns in their own rights. They all do however fall within Oldham Borough Council's boundaries and therefore I can't see the problem with Latics playing in any of those towns.

As has been said many times before, though, people in all of those places have far more in common, especially historically, than Failsworth people have with Oldhamers. Even Saddleworth, despite the Yorkshire obsession.

It's the difference between the milltown, Lancashire tradition (yes, I know it's vague, but I can't write a thesis on it here) and the big city outlook (despite Manchester also being Lancastrian.) And, of course, which clubs the people of Oldham and Failsworth respectively traditionally support. The active support for Latics in Oldham (and Shaw and Royton etc) may be poor, but if the club had had to rely on the level of support there is for it in Failsworth, it would have gone bankrupt a century ago.

All you can say to those who insist that being based in Failsworth will make no difference is that they're in for a very rude awakening.

As has been said many times before, though, people in all of those places have far more in common, especially historically, than Failsworth people have with Oldhamers. Even Saddleworth, despite the Yorkshire obsession.

It's the difference between the milltown, Lancashire tradition (yes, I know it's vague, but I can't write a thesis on it here) and the big city outlook (despite Manchester also being Lancastrian.) And, of course, which clubs the people of Oldham and Failsworth respectively traditionally support. The active support for Latics in Oldham (and Shaw and Royton etc) may be poor, but if the club had had to rely on the level of support there is for it in Failsworth, it would have gone bankrupt a century ago.

All you can say to those who insist that being based in Failsworth will make no difference is that they're in for a very rude awakening.

The children of Failsworth in the vast majority attend Oldham schools from age 4 to 16. I would imagine they are the people Latics will be targetting.

The children of Failsworth in the vast majority attend Oldham schools from age 4 to 16. I would imagine they are the people Latics will be targetting.

Most of them are of Mancunian descent. Not that many of them will be breaking the tradition of family support for one or the other of the Manchester clubs, especially when they can offer international superstars and we can offer sub-standard journeymen, loanees unwanted at bigger clubs and kids who consistently fail to live up to expectations. For games against Southend, Scunthorpe or Shrewsbury.

The club's future is bleaker than even I can spell out for you, folks.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I work with a lad who's from failsworth, he's got the manc accent and all. He laughs when i tell him he should come and support his ' local ' team and says he does....Manure. This is the big problem!

I went to meet him in his local last weekend...not a latics fan in sight, just a pretty even split between reds and city. The distance we're being asked to travel is not the issue with me, it's our ability to attract support in someone else's territory and the possibility of losing some of our more ' casual ' support.

I was born at Boundary Park and grew up in Coldhurst Ward. I have no more affinity with Failsworth than I do with Chadderton, Royton, Lees, Saddleworth, Shaw and Crompton. I am now told the heartland for Latics is Coldhurst, even though Boundary Park is situated only yards from the Coldhurst boundary with Royton and Chadderton. The Club is not called Coldhurst Athletic. What about all the other Wards such as Alt, Central Oldham, Clarksfield, Coppice, Derker, Freehold, Glodwick, Greenacres, Hathershaw, Hollins, Hollinwood, Holts, Sholver, Westwood and Yew Tree? Our Club is Oldham Athletic and it is imperative that its home is somewhere within the Oldham Borough. Nobody has been able to come up with a site which meets all the criteria. So Failsworth remains the proposed site.

I've never wanted to move from Boundary Park under any of the pevious proposals and I stlll don't. At the moment plans are being prepared ready for an exhibition in January, as part of the process for consultation with fans and the general public. When we see the plans and artist's impressions, etc., we'll be in a better position to understand and, if necessary, criticise the proposals.

Meanwhile it's not worth spoiling Christmas by worrying about what might or might not become reality.

Chadderton, Shaw, Royton etc are Oldham. Failsworth is Manchester, whatever the almost irrelevant current Oldham MBC boundaries are.

Most of them are of Mancunian descent. Not that many of them will be breaking the tradition of family support for one or the other of the Manchester clubs, especially when they can offer international superstars and we can offer sub-standard journeymen, loanees unwanted at bigger clubs and kids who consistently fail to live up to expectations. For games against Southend, Scunthorpe or Shrewsbury.

The club's future is bleaker than even I can spell out for you, folks.

Can I have more information about this please?