Get This Move Right

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it you don't live in Oldham, as anyone who has a :censored: clue about Oldham wouldn't disagree with the unarguable fact that people from Failsworth do not class themselves as Oldhamers, and us Oldhamers class Failsworth as Manchester.

This is so indisputable that it's amazing that anybody can find the gall to try to argue otherwise.

I take it you don't live in Oldham, as anyone who has a :censored: clue about Oldham wouldn't disagree with the unarguable fact that people from Failsworth do not class themselves as Oldhamers, and us Oldhamers class Failsworth as Manchester.

I am from Oldham and view Failsworth as being that :censored: hole in-between Oldham and Manchester....

This will explain why the majority of people are wrong.

http://www.failsworth.info/failsworth/govhistory.htm

I am from Oldham and view Failsworth as being that :censored: hole in-between Oldham and Manchester....

Although there are bad pockets of it, Failsworth isn't particularly a :censored:hole. Travelling along Manchester Road gives a somewhat false impression. Although possibly in decline, it was until relatively recently a much sought after area. The vast majority of those doing the seeking were from north and east Manchester. Hence the high level of support in Failsworth for both Manchester clubs, little committed support for Latics, and the area's Mancunian 'flavour.'

Although there are bad pockets of it, Failsworth isn't particularly a :censored:hole. Travelling along Manchester Road gives a somewhat false impression. Although possibly in decline, it was until relatively recently a much sought after area. The vast majority of those doing the seeking were from north and east Manchester. Hence the high level of support in Failsworth for both Manchester clubs, little committed support for Latics, and the area's Mancunian 'flavour.'

:lol:

Maybe relativity speaking it is not a :censored: hole... :)

I'd not had cause to go past the site for a long while, but my old man diverted us that way taking me back from Manc last night. It's a bit further from BP then I had in mind, but what struck me was that a decent looking front to the ground and if there are associated developments there as well it would be pretty striking against the surrounding area. It's also not got as much of a built up feel round and about, I had it in mind as being pretty much surrounded by estates.

With good designs it will be an excellent site. The capacity and, "cultural identity of the VAST majority of residents, well we'll just have to see how that pans out.

I'd not had cause to go past the site for a long while, but my old man diverted us that way taking me back from Manc last night. It's a bit further from BP then I had in mind, but what struck me was that a decent looking front to the ground and if there are associated developments there as well it would be pretty striking against the surrounding area. It's also not got as much of a built up feel round and about, I had it in mind as being pretty much surrounded by estates.

With good designs it will be an excellent site. The capacity and, "cultural identity of the VAST majority of residents, well we'll just have to see how that pans out.

Some of us don't want to see how it pans out....we're pretty scared of seeing how it 'pans out'.

It's like moving Tranmere Rovers into Toxteth/Walton/Everton..and expecting everything to turn out alright..

Edited by Yard Dog

Some of us don't want to see how it pans out....we're pretty scared of seeing how it 'pans out'.

It's like moving Tranmere Rovers into Toxteth/Walton/Everton..and expecting everything to turn out alright..

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself," as autocrat tyrant FDR said. Most fans won't care much about the "Manc" element and will be more interested in how they get there IMO. When I'm having a pint in a nice comfortable Club bar before the game I won't be looking out of the window shivering in fear that the vast majority of people walking past had grandparents from Salford. Most people who walk past BP don't support us anyway. And Oldham is so spread out it's pointless talking about our heartland anyway, people suggested grounds in Sholver and Derker, may as well be Mars so far as I would have known.

I was born in Failsworth (ok, I was born in Boundary Park but Failsworth is where I first lived) and I class myself as an Oldhamer. I know several people who live/lived in Failsworth, who would all class themselves as Oldhamers. I suspect most people who spent their first years in Failsworth and were born in a hospital were born in Boundary Park. So even their birth certificate will class them as an Oldhamer.

The only relevant geographical measure is the boundary of Oldham Borough. Failsworth is in Oldham Borough. And if you think Oldham Borough is irrelevant, then Boundary Park is outside Oldham so maybe we should have changed our name all those years ago from Pine Villa to Coldhurst and Royton Miners or something.

Anyone considering a opposition group out of interest ?

im suprised you havent set one up already,i know you have been thinking about it,and im sure if done in the correct manner with actual facts and the like to back up any views people will in all honesty take it seriously.

im suprised you havent set one up already,i know you have been thinking about it,and im sure if done in the correct manner with actual facts and the like to back up any views people will in all honesty take it seriously.

but I am not against it... I am on the fence waiting for the plans...

....if you think Oldham Borough is irrelevant, then Boundary Park is outside Oldham so maybe we should have changed our name all those years ago from Pine Villa to Coldhurst and Royton Miners or something.

How very dare you! :shock: BP has never been outside Oldham. It is in Coldhurst Ward which was part of the County Borough of Oldham before it became the enlarged Metropolitan Borough.

How very dare you! :shock: BP has never been outside Oldham. It is in Coldhurst Ward which was part of the County Borough of Oldham before it became the enlarged Metropolitan Borough.

Oh FFS, I give up. :lol:

Must admit, I had a feeling someone would come along and tell me that! You are right, of course.

A very Merry Christmas to the people of Oldham, Coldhurst, Royton, Chadderton, Failsworth (Mancs and Oldhamers alike), and anyone else who reads this. :grin:

Must admit, I had a feeling someone would come along and tell me that! You are right, of course.

A very Merry Christmas to the people of Oldham, Coldhurst, Royton, Chadderton, Failsworth (Mancs and Oldhamers alike), and anyone else who reads this. :grin:

hahahah

see i was born at bp hospital..but brought up in chadderton all my life until i moved in with my girlfriend when i was 20,im now happily divorced and living back in chadderton.

i dont class my self as an oldhamer..i class myself as a chaddertonian,just like i suppose people from royton and shaw see themself as respective roytonians and shawlies.

just because the boroughs were amalgamated doesnt suddenly mean you become an oldhamer,i think it was a lot better when each had there own councils before being forced to join the big happy family.

Edited by edhunteruk

A very Merry Christmas to the people of Oldham, Coldhurst, Royton, Chadderton, Failsworth, and anyone else who reads this. :grin:

Which is what i was saying....

I was born at Boundary Park and grew up in Coldhurst Ward. I have no more affinity with Failsworth than I do with Chadderton, Royton, Lees, Saddleworth, Shaw and Crompton. I am now told the heartland for Latics is Coldhurst, even though Boundary Park is situated only yards from the Coldhurst boundary with Royton and Chadderton. The Club is not called Coldhurst Athletic. What about all the other Wards such as Alt, Central Oldham, Clarksfield, Coppice, Derker, Freehold, Glodwick, Greenacres, Hathershaw, Hollins, Hollinwood, Holts, Sholver, Westwood and Yew Tree? Our Club is Oldham Athletic and it is imperative that its home is somewhere within the Oldham Borough.

hahahah

see i was born at bp hospital..but brought up in chadderton all my life until i moved in with my girlfriend when i was 20,im now happily divorced and living back in chadderton.

i dont class my self as an oldhamer..i class myself as a chaddertonian,just like i suppose people from royton and shaw see themself as respective roytonians and shawlies.

just because the boroughs were amalgamated doesnt suddenly mean you become an oldhamer,i think it was a lot better when each had there own councils before being forced to join the big happy family.

But the point is that some Chaddertonians, Roytonians, Shawites and Failsworthians support Oldham Athletic.

It's very interestnig this debate, and been a very healthy one.

Firstly, I am of the belief, to quote Bruce Springsteen, that blind faith in your leaders will get you killed.

So, not without question.

For myself, I was born in BP Hospital-it says Oldham on my passport, but lived in Saddleworth for all my formative years.

My mum was part of the campaign to keep Saddleworth in Yorkshire.

Nowadays, being quite far away, I say I am from Saddleworth. Most people know roughly but only because of the Moors.

I do fervently say I support Oldham, for many people I am the only OLdham supporter they know so I kind of stick in their mind not becasue I am from Saddleworth but because I support Oldham.

However, I know many people from Saddleworth that do not want to be part of Oldham. However, many of them are Latics fans. The two are not interlinked.

I am of an age where although the boundaries changed when I was young, I have grown up "brainwashed" as to what is part of OLdham and what is not.

I suspect the majority that do not feel Failsworth is part of Oldham are older, and so would not change their allegience to Oldham when the club moves there. It is the younger elemnt that have only known being part of OLdham that will come round more quickly.

So I ahve queries, but am waiting to see what is proposed before expressing too many conerns.

My issue is with people being agaist it for spurious or desperate reasons such as size, design or because of the postcode.

I suspect if we were to be successful, as we were once, people would follow anyway. It is mainly about the prodcut on the pitch, despite us moaning about the floaters.

So the bigger question, is whether the plans enable us to be succesful and and by definition self sustaining, as promised.

I'm a southerner who married an Oldham lass.

So I really don't give a toss about all this "border" :censored:e.

Better stadium with a better team seems like a good idea to me. Hopefully we'll get both. I expect to just get the stadium though.

(our only boy was born in the Royal Oldham and, within minutes of birth, was raised to the window to look out over Boundary Park. A defining moment damning me to watch :censored:e football for the rest of my days ...)

Edited by opinions4u

My issue is with people being agaist it for spurious or desperate reasons such as size, design or because of the postcode.

Anyone who still thinks the postcode is a relevant issue really does need help, and probably 24 hour care.

I'm less bothered about the design - as long as the stands are close to the pitch and relatively steeply tiered then atmosphere comes from the fans, not how nice the stadium looks.

Size is the least spurious reason I can think of.