Get This Move Right

I'm not saying it's a fact. As it seems I have to repeatedly explain for the more 'challenged' of our posters, it's a prediction based on past experience and observation of current trends. Everybody is free to take it or leave it and I'll have have to console myself is the hollow satisfaction of being able to say, 'I told you so.'

see there you go again with the playground bully taunts it really is pathetic.

yes you do have to spell it out im affraid because everything you post you post as fact..

we will never find him

we will never get promoted to the championship

its your opinion,and as such you should construct your statement accordingly "i don't think we ever will find him"

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

see there you go again with the playground bully taunts it really is pathetic.

yes you do have to spell it out im affraid because everything you post you post as fact..

we will never find him

we will never get promoted to the championship

its your opinion,and as such you should construct your statement accordingly "i don't think we ever will find him"

Playground bullies never wandered about with laptops strapped to them in my day. Their 'insults' tended to be a bit more barbed and were often accompanied by the inflicting of considerable pain. But there you go.

Look up the word assertion, ed, there's a good lad.

I'm not saying it's a fact. As it seems I have to repeatedly explain for the more 'challenged' of our posters, it's a prediction based on past experience and observation of current trends. Everybody is free to take it or leave it and I'll have have to console myself is the hollow satisfaction of being able to say, 'I told you so.'

You have by your own posts confirmed that you have followed the club for the best part of 40 years, so can you enlighten us what this "past experience" is?

Shall we split you "past experience" down into say 3 periods of generally equal lengths of time during your support of the club.

Is it from your early days of the late 60's/early 70's, when the totally inexperienced Jimmy Friz took over from Jack Rowley after we had suffered something like 15/16 years of regression following a promotion in the mid 1950's and that young manager took us upto todays equivalent of the Championship, building a new (now demoilshed) stand. Did our board in those days lack ambition, fail to invest in the stadium etc etc. Is that your experience?

Or is it the experience that after settling for the mediocrity of todays equivalent of the Championship, the board sacked an experienced manager in Jimmy Friz and brought in an untried recently retired ex player called Joe Royle, becasue he was a cheaper option. A club clearly lacking ambition? Is that your experience.

Come on admit that it your experience, because, unless you actually support another club, you have no other experience than that above.

In summary of your "past experience" is that your early years supporting club followed 15/16 years in the doldrums, fand we then gained 2 promotions in 4 seasons.

Middle years - 15 years of mediocrity followed by a league cup final, 2 FA cup semi finals and a promotion to the top league and a relagation.

Recent (last 15) years a further relegation and mediocrity followed by ????????????????????????????

Come on surely you can see some sort of pattern emerging there from your "past experience" or are you going to rely on the balance of the your highlighted statement of recent trends? What are these "recent trends?"

Is it the number of clubs that are currently in financial trouble due to the recession that has been gripping the country, because their clubs have not been run in a prudent manner in recent years, clubs like the ones who I have highlighted in another thread, such as Stockport (who not long ago you claimed have overtaken us), Plymouth, Watford, Preston, Southend, Tranmere, Swindon, etc, etc,

Or is it the bigger clubs that that have been in the premier league, have failed to survive relegation and have slipped through the leagues, clubs like Leeds (who have twice been in or on the edge of administration) Charlton, Norwich, Southampton, Leicester Swindon and Bradford. Incidentally, all clubs we played when we were in the premiership, so the fall from grace insn't exclusive to OAFC is it?

Or is it the current trend of clubs who have got into trouble because they have spent (TOO) big and gambled everything and failed, ended up being relegated and/or in Administration. Coventry, Derby, Ipswich, Bourenmouth, Rotherham, Notts County, Bury,Bradford City(again), Swindon (again) and Darlington

I'm trying hard to find a recent trend that you may be relying on to support your claim. Maybe it's the trend of 3rd and 4th division teams who you claim have overtaken us. Who are these clubs?. Erm, well there's Peterborough, who have had their wealthy benefactor pump in a sustantial amount of money saying that the aim was to be in the premiership within 5 years. 2 successive propotions in his first 2 years and everyone sat up and took notice. They backed their young hungry manager to go out and buy players from non league with big money and it initially paid off. BUT where are they now? The money is drying up, the wealthy benefactor is suffering (surprise surprise his money is in property - in Ireland - a part of the economy that always suffers first in a recession and recovers last) cracks appear within the club as to direction, and as the money is not there the manager departs. Where will they be next season. I'll PREDICT that they will be back in division 3. The other 2 are Scunthorpe (currently 21st) who are odds on to be relegated again after just 1 season in the Championship and Blackpool. Now Blackpool I will give you. Well I will give you them as long as Belecron (sp) continues to back them. As soon as his money dries up, they will fall again, unless someone else with substantial money steps in.

You seem to be big on predictions at the moment Corp [and with your little lap dog who hangs on your every post who was recently christened mini c0000rp (admittedly he is not as gloomy as your own forecasts and is at least prepared to wait and see what the plans show when they are published before he fully pledges allegience) you continue to bait anyone who has a differnt opinion to yoursleves as happy clappers or with childish name calling] so I'll counter with a big prediction of my own. I PREDICT that Failsworth WILL happen, that it will have massive benefits for the club by bringing in substantial additional annual revenue and I PREDICT that we will have achieved promotion to the Championship, BEFORE TTA no longer own the club.

So returning to your post I'll choose to leave your prediction thanks very much and I'll be at Hartlepool tomorrow (weather permitting) to see my team try and achieve another 3 points. If you have any issues with this post, feel free to join me for a chat over a half time bovril. Somehow I doubt you or junior will take me up though

Oh yes. Happy New Year

You have by your own posts confirmed that you have followed the club for the best part of 40 years, so can you enlighten us what this "past experience" is?

Shall we split you "past experience" down into say 3 periods of generally equal lengths of time during your support of the club.

Is it from your early days of the late 60's/early 70's, when the totally inexperienced Jimmy Friz took over from Jack Rowley after we had suffered something like 15/16 years of regression following a promotion in the mid 1950's and that young manager took us upto todays equivalent of the Championship, building a new (now demoilshed) stand. Did our board in those days lack ambition, fail to invest in the stadium etc etc. Is that your experience?

Or is it the experience that after settling for the mediocrity of todays equivalent of the Championship, the board sacked an experienced manager in Jimmy Friz and brought in an untried recently retired ex player called Joe Royle, becasue he was a cheaper option. A club clearly lacking ambition? Is that your experience.

Come on admit that it your experience, because, unless you actually support another club, you have no other experience than that above.

In summary of your "past experience" is that your early years supporting club followed 15/16 years in the doldrums, fand we then gained 2 promotions in 4 seasons.

Middle years - 15 years of mediocrity followed by a league cup final, 2 FA cup semi finals and a promotion to the top league and a relagation.

Recent (last 15) years a further relegation and mediocrity followed by ????????????????????????????

Come on surely you can see some sort of pattern emerging there from your "past experience" or are you going to rely on the balance of the your highlighted statement of recent trends? What are these "recent trends?"

Is it the number of clubs that are currently in financial trouble due to the recession that has been gripping the country, because their clubs have not been run in a prudent manner in recent years, clubs like the ones who I have highlighted in another thread, such as Stockport (who not long ago you claimed have overtaken us), Plymouth, Watford, Preston, Southend, Tranmere, Swindon, etc, etc,

Or is it the bigger clubs that that have been in the premier league, have failed to survive relegation and have slipped through the leagues, clubs like Leeds (who have twice been in or on the edge of administration) Charlton, Norwich, Southampton, Leicester Swindon and Bradford. Incidentally, all clubs we played when we were in the premiership, so the fall from grace insn't exclusive to OAFC is it?

Or is it the current trend of clubs who have got into trouble because they have spent (TOO) big and gambled everything and failed, ended up being relegated and/or in Administration. Coventry, Derby, Ipswich, Bourenmouth, Rotherham, Notts County, Bury,Bradford City(again), Swindon (again) and Darlington

I'm trying hard to find a recent trend that you may be relying on to support your claim. Maybe it's the trend of 3rd and 4th division teams who you claim have overtaken us. Who are these clubs?. Erm, well there's Peterborough, who have had their wealthy benefactor pump in a sustantial amount of money saying that the aim was to be in the premiership within 5 years. 2 successive propotions in his first 2 years and everyone sat up and took notice. They backed their young hungry manager to go out and buy players from non league with big money and it initially paid off. BUT where are they now? The money is drying up, the wealthy benefactor is suffering (surprise surprise his money is in property - in Ireland - a part of the economy that always suffers first in a recession and recovers last) cracks appear within the club as to direction, and as the money is not there the manager departs. Where will they be next season. I'll PREDICT that they will be back in division 3. The other 2 are Scunthorpe (currently 21st) who are odds on to be relegated again after just 1 season in the Championship and Blackpool. Now Blackpool I will give you. Well I will give you them as long as Belecron (sp) continues to back them. As soon as his money dries up, they will fall again, unless someone else with substantial money steps in.

You seem to be big on predictions at the moment Corp [and with your little lap dog who hangs on your every post who was recently christened mini c0000rp (admittedly he is not as gloomy as your own forecasts and is at least prepared to wait and see what the plans show when they are published before he fully pledges allegience) you continue to bait anyone who has a differnt opinion to yoursleves as happy clappers or with childish name calling] so I'll counter with a big prediction of my own. I PREDICT that Failsworth WILL happen, that it will have massive benefits for the club by bringing in substantial additional annual revenue and I PREDICT that we will have achieved promotion to the Championship, BEFORE TTA no longer own the club.

So returning to your post I'll choose to leave your prediction thanks very much and I'll be at Hartlepool tomorrow (weather permitting) to see my team try and achieve another 3 points. If you have any issues with this post, feel free to join me for a chat over a half time bovril. Somehow I doubt you or junior will take me up though

Oh yes. Happy New Year

Cheers,

Harry

Oh yes. Happy New Year

Of course I can tell you-the experience of the downward spiral of the past fifteen years, which is, unfortunately, the only period that matters now as it sealed the club's fate. You can do all the splitting of my period of support you want, but the last fifteen years, given the changes which have ocurred in the game, are the crucial ones, as it was during this time that we dropped away from where the money was and thus missed out on the football boom that saw similar clubs in similar towns to Oldham thrive relative to ourselves-and clubs that were struggling at the wrong end of the FL, in dilapidated grounds, while we were riding high at that. These changes in the financial structure of the game rule out the kind of recovery for a club like ours that we were in the process of making just as I was becoming an active supporter in 1972. It's clear that the club knows this, which is why it's revising ambitions downwards, as represented by the small stadium it proposes to build. For every club you can point to who gambled and came unstuck there's another that pulled it off relatively successfully and isn't currently in serious trouble (without seriously gambling at all in some cases, just through good, competent club management, a clear strategy and a degree of ambition-a world away from the crying-in-your-beer kind of boards we're used to). The trouble is that, especially after the CM experience, some Latics fans are prone to regarding anything other than ultra-caution as gambling dangerously. Which is a big drawback, as ultra-caution has only dragged us deeper into the mire and will continue to do so.

And even if the wheels soon come off for, say, Bolton, as I've said before, you'd be hard-pressed to find a fan of theirs who'd swap their last fifteen years for ours, nor futures. I suspect that many of the hardcore Latics supporters who've recently given up the ghost would agree with them. I would myself. In any case, the parachute payments they'll get, as well as TV money, will probably safeguard them from the kind of freefall we went into. And I'd wager that nearly all the clubs you list above will revover quicker than Latics. I don't really care, however, why one club or another manages to thrive. All I care about is that we are unable to join them.

You've no need to make those predictions to me. I wouldn't be surprised if Failsworth does come about. Unlike yourself and the other Nodders and Clappers, though, I am under absolutely no illusion as to what it means, and it simply doesn't mean promotion to the Championship. That's why, unlike most Nodders and Clappers (all of them actually) I'm prepared to put my money where my mouth is with my frequently-offered charity 'bet.'

And a Happy and long-winded New Year to you, too. I'll leave the invitation for a Bovril, however, as any 'issues' I might have with your posts are easily dealt with in the here-and-now. Are veiled threats more acceptable than supposed baiting and name-calling in the environs of Apologia? And why the constant need of some of the Nodders to drag 0000 into it? I bet he's devastated that you and your little clique have coined an 'insulting' name for him.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

For example, here's an 'issue.' Why are we supposed to assume that actually seeing the plans makes a difference to the nature of the project? We've already been told that the Failsworth ground will only hold 12000 (or is it 10000?) The plans may well turn out to look as nice as can be, but a ground of that size can still only mean ambtions that, in essence, go no further than to stave off bankruptcy in the lower divisions.

Cheers, Corporal.

Oh yes. Happy New Year

Fiiiiiiiiiiiight!!!

In any case, the parachute payments they'll get, as well as TV money, will probably safeguard them from the kind of freefall we went into.

You've no need to make those predictions to me. I wouldn't be surprised if Failsworth does come about. Unlike yourself and the other Nodders and Clappers, though, I am under absolutely no illusion as to what it means, and it simply doesn't mean promotion to the Championship. That's why, unlike most Nodders and Clappers (all of them actually) I'm prepared to put my money where my mouth is with my frequently-offered charity 'bet.'

And a Happy and long-winded New Year to you, too. I'll leave the invitation for a Bovril, however, as any 'issues' I might have with your posts are easily dealt with in the here-and-now. Are veiled threats more acceptable than supposed baiting and name-calling in the environs of Apologia? And why the constant need of some of the Nodders to drag 0000 into it? I bet he's devastated that you and your little clique have coined an 'insulting' name for him.

Leeds, Charlton, Leicester, Norwich, Swindon, Bradford have all recieved parachute payments. So Have Coventry, Ipswich, Derby and Watford they have all suffered either Administration and or releagtion/double relegation.

Ouch, your insults, if that's what you mean by "nodders and clappers," really hurts. The reality is that the term nodders and clappers suggest that people haven't asked/sought answers to pertinent questions/concerns and just go along with whatever is said. I can assure you in my case that could not be further from the truth.

What do you mean by veiled threats? You surely cannot be referring to anything in any of my posts to either you ar anyone else on this board for that matter. If you are, please refer me to such post. Otherwise, clairify the post or withdraw any allegation please.

As for mini cOOOrp I think he has proved more than capable of defending himself on this board :grin:

Edited by Harry Dowds Green Shirt

For example, here's an 'issue.' Why are we supposed to assume that actually seeing the plans makes a difference to the nature of the project? We've already been told that the Failsworth ground will only hold 12000 (or is it 10000?) The plans may well turn out to look as nice as can be, but a ground of that size can still only mean ambtions that, in essence, go no further than to stave off bankruptcy in the lower divisions.

Cheers, Corporal.

It's all a matter of opinion corp.

You have your view, others share some/part of your concerns, but not all. Some have concerns on location, but not your general position on the future. Some accept that we need a new stadium but should stay at BP. Some think that we need to move because BP is a ":censored:hole." Others just have a different view of things.

As Greavise said. "It's a funny old game" and "It's all about opinions."

We will get promoted again, don't know where don't know when but we will get promoted again some sunny day.

Cheer up old boy

And why the constant need of some of the Nodders to drag 0000 into it? I bet he's devastated that you and your little clique have coined an 'insulting' name for him.

Totally devastated... They really got to me :disappointed::grin:

Its funny how we have the likes of Ed and others banging on about school yard bully tactics... It really is :)

Leeds, Charlton, Leicester, Norwich, Swindon, Bradford have all recieved parachute payments. So Have Coventry, Ipswich, Derby and Watford they have all suffered either Administration and or releagtion/double relegation.

Ouch, your insults, if that's what you mean by "nodders and clappers," really hurts. The reality is that the term nodders and clappers suggest that people haven't asked/sought answers to pertinent questions/concerns and just go along with whatever is said. I can assure you in my case that could not be further from the truth.

What do you mean by veiled threats? You surely cannot be referring to anything in any of my posts to either you ar anyone else on this board for that matter. If you are, please refer me to such post. Otherwise, clairify the post or withdraw any allegation please.

As for mini cOOOrp I think he has proved more than capable of defending himself on this board :grin:

Yes, yes, those clubs have. But it doesn't automatically follow that every club that gets relegated will go into freefall. Whatever happens I'd still put money on Bolton to have a viable future rather than us, purely due to their success over the past decade-and-a-half.

I don't aim to 'hurt' anybody with insults. It's light-hearted banter, that's all. And I know 0000 can defend himself perfectly adequately- I just find it curious that people so often see the need to drag him into it when having a pop at me.

Admit it-there's always an element of 'come and feel my biceps' about these invitations by you and certain others to 'have a chat' over hot or cold beverages.

I don't aim to 'hurt' anybody with insults. It's light-hearted banter, that's all. And I know 0000 can defend himself perfectly adequately- I just find it curious that people so often see the need to drag him into it when having a pop at me.

They would like to hold us two up as the only two who care to ask searching questions. Thing is, as poll would suggest, there are quite a few more silent posters out there who feel the same way.

Admit it-there's always an element of 'come and feel my biceps' about these invitations by you and certain others to 'have a chat' over hot or cold beverages.

Alpha males and all that... If you don't agree with me I will smack your teeth in crew... Morons...

Yes, yes, those clubs have. But it doesn't automatically follow that every club that gets relegated will go into freefall. Whatever happens I'd still put money on Bolton to have a viable future rather than us, purely due to their success over the past decade-and-a-half.

Yes but you said "In any case, the parachute payments they'll get, as well as TV money, will probably safeguard them from the kind of freefall we went into." That statement is wrong. I agree it doesn't happen in all cases, but it has actually happened more in recent times, i.e. the last 5 years

As for your "come and feel my biceps" comment, think what you want Corp, it's all about opinion. I chat over both hot and cold beverages with people from all sides of the stadium debate, especially about location. I personally find it very interesting to get views of the differing perspectives and to understand peoples concerns. However, despite your reply I challenge you to show any vieled threats that I have made in ANY of my posts. Can you do that or be big enough to withdraw the allegation please.

Actually it's more subtle than that. It's based on the hope that personal acquaintance will moderate criticism. A kind of co-opting of critics on the part of the club.

oh I see that... I think it happens in a mixed way.... I think what you say is right for Harrys angle... My statement is more suitable for some of our other posters...

Cheers

Mini c0000rp :D

Edited by oafc0000

Yes but you said "In any case, the parachute payments they'll get, as well as TV money, will probably safeguard them from the kind of freefall we went into." That statement is wrong. I agree it doesn't happen in all cases, but it has actually happened more in recent times, i.e. the last 5 years

If it doesn't always happen, the statement can't be wrong, can it?

It's bizarre that some Latics fans have the gall to pontificate over the fate of more successful clubs (most of whom will turn it around while we're still arguing with local residents about a new ground somewhere) after the fiasco of the last fifteen years.

oh I see that... I think it happens in a mixed way. I think that is Harrys angle... My statement is more suitable for some of our other posters...

Cheers

Mini c0000rp :D

True. Harry is the intellectual wing of intimidation. If he'd been in the KGB he'd have had a desk job. Edhunter would have been a torturer.

As for your "come and feel my biceps" comment, think what you want Corp, it's all about opinion. I chat over both hot and cold beverages with people from all sides of the stadium debate, especially about location. I personally find it very interesting to get views of the differing perspectives and to understand peoples concerns. However, despite your reply I challenge you to show any vieled threats that I have made in ANY of my posts. Can you do that or be big enough to withdraw the allegation please.

Gladly. I would like to say that I never meant to imply any threats of violence on Harry's part.

One of my very best.

Not really... It was fecking stupid name to be frank. If people actually took the time to read posts properly you would realise that mine and corps opinions differ to a large degree. But thats not your style is it...getting things right etc :grin: One line moronic posts is more your style :D