We need many things but especially left footed attackers

Besides the obvious failings of the squad which we are all aware of, I can't help thinking that having a left footed central midfielder/winger/striker would make us much more potent.

I've just watched the highlights of Blackpool v Oldham at BP and the glimpses of Hoolahan reminded me how he ripped us apart, it also got me thinking of david eyres and how having him enabled us to switch play quickly and often, something which we don't do now. Also, the other players were always confident that he wouldn't lose the ball and could easily beat a man.....this is also the kind of player us fans warm too....no matter how bad things were you always knew with Eyresy that a moment of genius was around the corner and was worth watching even when we were getting battered!

A left footed player who is 'cute' on the ball is what we are crying out for I believe, anyone got any ideas on realistic suitable players?

Those of us that play football will know how much more difficult it is to tackle left footed players.

So what we're looking for is someone in the mould of either the Latics player of the decade, or the best player in League One.

Should be easy to find.

Someone in the mould but nowhere near their level yet, I'm sure there are some knocking around in non league.

Someone in the mould but nowhere near their level yet, I'm sure there are some knocking around in non league.

A very annoying comment that comes up too much on here. The few gems that are in non-league are not exactly secrets to the clubs they are at, and are priced as such - it's not like Peterborough signed all their lot on frees. There are of course a small handful that will be smattering around the lower regions of non-league available on the cheap...though for every Fitz Hall there's about fifty Wesley Wilkinsons.

Long and short of it, we can't afford the best from the non-league...and the rest are in non-league for a reason.

A very annoying comment that comes up too much on here. The few gems that are in non-league are not exactly secrets to the clubs they are at, and are priced as such - it's not like Peterborough signed all their lot on frees. There are of course a small handful that will be smattering around the lower regions of non-league available on the cheap...though for every Fitz Hall there's about fifty Wesley Wilkinsons.

Long and short of it, we can't afford the best from the non-league...and the rest are in non-league for a reason.

Promising players can be brought from non league cheaply providing the scouts spot their potential before other clubs. Hopefully Latics have done this with Philip Ojapah, although it seems they missed out on Craig Dawson of Rochdale, who I understand was previously on trial here and is now attracting the attention of Championship and Premiership clubs.

Many of the Peterborough players had been in non league for several years before they signed them, had they had the conviction to move in earlier they could have saved hundreds of thousands of pounds.

`lee blackshaw` at mossley fc is perfect........watched him loads of times.

left footed attacking winger.......cool as a cucumber.......consistently leaves the opposition for dead......total ball control......fast as f**k......great awareness,,,,,,,superb accuracy in delivery of ball long or short.......he`s got the lot believe me, and would easily cut it ( and shine ) at this level......even beyond.

...though for every Fitz Hall there's about fifty Wesley Wilkinsons.

Couldn't have put it better. Pretty much what I think whenever non league players come up. Also like to use the Michael Clegg was a United youth alongside Beckham and co, but I generally believe I'm better than him. That's what I thought when Kieran Lee signed, and everyone said he was going to be amazing...

Give Lee time one he stays fit and gets a decent run in the team we will see the best of him people had wrote Stephans off and he his starting to look like a tne player we have missed in midfield earlier in the season.

Lee is as much a week in week out 90 minute player in midfield as "Ex-spurs" Mark Hughes was!!

`lee blackshaw` at mossley fc is perfect........watched him loads of times.

left footed attacking winger.......cool as a cucumber.......consistently leaves the opposition for dead......total ball control......fast as f**k......great awareness,,,,,,,superb accuracy in delivery of ball long or short.......he`s got the lot believe me, and would easily cut it ( and shine ) at this level......even beyond.

No way, i've watched lee since he was a kid!!

half decent Unibond 1 but nothing better and never will be!

No way, i've watched lee since he was a kid!!

half decent Unibond 1 but nothing better and never will be!

amazing innit mr s how two people watching the same person both have completley different opinions about his style of play...it's like me i like dean brill...three thousand beg to differ does that mean that i am wrong..??? :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Couldn't of put it better myself

amazing innit mr s how two people watching the same person both have completley different opinions about his style of play...it's like me i like dean brill...three thousand beg to differ does that mean that i am wrong..??? :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

i don`t think it`s his `style` of play that we differ on too much......it`s what level we think he can cut it at.......i`m pretty sure mr beckford, and mr dagnall et-al, will only have been seen by many as `half decent` non leaguers for most of their careers prior to someone finally seeing they could make the step up.

lee blackshaw can certainly step up, and would be superb on our left flank, but our club historically has a real stigma re: non-leaguers.....it`s like they are not even worth a look,or invitation to trial??