How many years have we been in this league now?

Some might say that being in the same division for so long is a sign of stability at our "natural level", but if you actually look back it is only really through a bit of luck (sometimes good, sometimes bad) that we haven't been either relegated or promoted. And during that time I think it's fair to say we've been lucky to escape relegation more often than we've been unlucky to miss out on promotion.

The future of a club often rests on the finest of details - one goal that means promotion or relegation. But if we are to consign ourselves to a smaller stadium with a "sustainable" squad then all we do is minimise the chances of grasping a little bit of good luck and increase our chances of succumbing to a stroke of bad luck.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure its our 9th, we got relegated at the end of the 1999/2000 season, making this our 9th.

Even if that was the case, which it isn't, it still wouldn't be the 9th.

I for one will be delighted if next year we're playing our 14th season in this league.

Even if that was the case, which it isn't, it still wouldn't be the 9th.

I for one will be delighted if next year we're playing our 14th season in this league.

This season is our 13th consecutive season in the third tier but our time at this level has just entered it's third different decade! Scary!

Nowadays, the measure of our success is, it seems, that we are avoiding Stockport County-type meltdown.

You could say that all the way to the Conference or even lower, as long as the club was still in business.

Reflecting on your optimism I look forward to a date with Northwich Victoria then, I may even pay an extra £15 and have a sit down meal and a bottle of wine, will you be joining me?

I missed out by a mere season and a bit seeing us in the fourth-tier last time. I don't intend to start now.

There were good times in the 4th, both in the 60s and that 70/1 season. Big crowds too.

I will say that when Rowley brought in Bobby Johnstone etc in 1960 it had been a long time since we'd been in the top flight, and there'd been a world war, so expectations were probably lower. Just sixteen years after the top flight now it would be a less than enticing proposition for some people. Others would be there still, like me. I would understand the view of people who didn't fancy it even if that view disappointed me because it hurt the club.