How many years have we been in this league now?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a grip....you're losing it!!

Your mind is being infiltrated - protect yourself.

:lol:

It's ok. we've just decided we should aquire one of the unused offices on our floor and convert it into one of those ball pits you get in a Wacky Warehouse pub.

I'll be much more relaxed then. :unsure::grin:

:lol:

It's ok. we've just decided we should aquire one of the unused offices on our floor and convert it into one of those ball pits you get in a Wacky Warehouse pub.

I'll be much more relaxed then. :unsure::grin:

That sounds like a good move to me :lol:

Perhaps our new stadia may host such a facility - you could fill it 24/7!! Though all of the balls would have to be blue, white and tangerine (salmon??)

You can get a meal, Italian, bottle of wine and watch the game in the warmth on a comfortable seat all for £20, even the meal must be worth that much.

Who's the Italian? And for £20 all in, is she clean for that price? We need assurances.

There were good times in the 4th, both in the 60s and that 70/1 season. Big crowds too.

I will say that when Rowley brought in Bobby Johnstone etc in 1960 it had been a long time since we'd been in the top flight, and there'd been a world war, so expectations were probably lower. Just sixteen years after the top flight now it would be a less than enticing proposition for some people. Others would be there still, like me. I would understand the view of people who didn't fancy it even if that view disappointed me because it hurt the club.

I know all that, about 1970-71 at least. I remember the results and seeing the big crowds when I read the reports in the People on Sundays. And my dad, a regular in the late fifties and early sixties, promising to take me and my brother to BP one Saturday. It actually took him until November 1972 to get round to it, but we were regulars after that.

I seem to remember something like 17000 for a top-of-the-table clash with Notts County in 1970-71. And now the club assumes we will never have more than 12000 (or is it 10000?) at a game ever again. This is what makes me think that, this time, there will be no serious intention to get out of the basement and start the slow climb towards the top. You are right-bottom division football just sixteen years after the club failed to make the most of its golden chance is too much, or at least it is for me.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I know all that, about 1970-71 at least. I remember the results and seeing the big crowds when I read the reports in the People on Sundays. And my dad, a regular in the late fifties and early sixties, promising to take me and my brother to BP one Saturday. It actually took him until November 1972 to get round to it, but we were regulars after that.

I seem to remember something like 17000 for a top-of-the-table clash with Notts County in 1970-71. And now the club assumes we will never have more than 12000 (or is it 10000?) at a game ever again. This is what makes me think that, this time, there will be no serious intention to get out of the basement and start the slow climb towards the top. You are right-bottom division football just sixteen years after the club failed to make the most of its golden chance is too much, or at least it is for me.

of course.

And we could build a 30000 seater because we got 28000 v Peterboro in Div 4 in 1960/1 ?

It did only cost about £1.20 to get in back then though.......

The Retail Price Index began in 1974. Assuming inflation from 1970-1974 increased that £1.20 to £1.50, the application of the Retail Price Index from 1974 equates to around £13 today.

It was only 60p to get in during the mid seventies IIRC.

It did only cost about £1.20 to get in back then though.......

20p for kids, 40p for adults in 1972-73.

However, admission prices are a red herring. The period during which they rose out of all proportion coincides with football's biggest ever boom period.

If a club is suffering low attendances, the reason isn't primarily admission prices.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Don't be daft. But do you really think that it's become beyond the club's power to occasionally attract a crowd of 16000?

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I have given, regarding white elephants and statemtents of intent, and the effects of the wider economy

Edited by singe

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I have given, regarding white elephants and statemtents of intent.

Sigh. Have it your way and continue to miss the point.

Enjoy the battle to retain Football League status with 2500-3000 inside your little 9000 capacity stadium.

Edited by Corporal_Jones