Past losing World Cup teams

After looking at a picture we have up in work of the 2006 semi against Brazil its got me thinking of the comparison of our current crop of players compare and also previous World Cups

1998 v Argentina

Seaman

Campbell

Le Saux

Adams

G Neville

Ince

Beckham

Anderton

Scholes

Shearer

Owen

Subs:Flowers, Martyn , Keown, Lee , Sheringham , Merson , L Ferdinand , McManaman,

Southgate

2002 V Brazil

Seaman

Mills

A Cole

Ferdinand

Campbell

Beckham

Butt

Scholes

Sinclair

Heskey

Owen

Subs

Bridge, Brown , J Cole , James , Keown , Martyn , Southgate , Fowler , Hargreaves, sheringham, vassell, dyer

2006 v Portugal

Robinson

G Neville

Ferdinand

Terry

A Cole

Beckham - captain

Lampard

Hargreaves

Gerrard

J Cole

Rooney

Subs: James, Carson, Campbell, Bridge, Carrick, Jenas, Downing, Walcott, Lennon

Carragher, Crouch

2010 Possible starting lineup

James

A Cole

Ferdinand

Terry

Johnson

Gerrard

Lampard

Barry

Lennon, Joe Cole or SWP

Rooney

Heskey

I personally think the Midfield is much stronger and that Rooney is a much better player than he was , the likes of Glen Johnson have improved and Lennon has started to improve his final ball ,

I think this is a very strong squad compare to previous ,

thoughts?

Edited by razza699

1998 looks miles stronger.

Ashley Cole, maybe for Le Saux.

Joe Cole (if fit) for Anderton.

Rooney for Owen.

The rest wouldn't get a look in.

Going off the predicted line-up above:

James - error prone, probably be Green anyway, who frankly is only jusy top division material.

A Cole - off his game nowadays. But, no one better.

Ferdinand - Not sure he'll be fit. If only half fit, he's Lord Kanganaesque.

Terry - Mr Chelsea. Well, unless he plays against someone with a modicum of skill. Then he's Mr Cockup.

Johnson - Can't defend for toffee. Still, the best we've got.

Gerrard - A driving force and proven motivator of teams. Sadly at Premier:censored: level. At International level he's been a continual failure (well except against Andorra I suppose). Not even sure where he'll be playing.

Lampard - Dr Pepper. If you have twenty shots I suppose 2 will go in. He won't have that at International level. He's okay though.

Barry - Decent holding midfielder, nothing special.

Lennon, Joe Cole or SWP - Fast, will do crap teams; Good, will do good teams if fit; Fast and not as good as Lennon, shouldn't even take.

Rooney - England's only World class player.

Heskey - There for Rooney, as he was there for Owen.

For me, a very weak England side. Any decent team with dick that lot, unless Rooney does a one man job.

Agree '98 looks strongest (but this may be a slightly biased view out of near hero-worshipping the players in those days and disliking them now). But no, we were better then. The likes of Seaman, Campbell, Scholes, Shearer, Beckham and Owen were head and shoulders above today's counterparts, Rooney aside (but I'd still take Big Al).

The players today are particularly over-hyped, in my opinion pundits are directly instructed to talk up players in order to promote the Sky product.

Anyway, I hope we they fail miserably, :censored:s. :)

Edited by Zorrro
Come on - you know better than that...

Gerrard - A driving force and proven motivator of teams. Sadly at Premier:censored: level. At International level he's been a continual failure (well except against Andorra I suppose). Not even sure where he'll be playing.

To be fair to Gerrard, he's turned in a number of 'Roy of the Rovers' type performances in the Champions League, which is probably the highest standard of football going today.

He and Rooney are the only players who would have made an impact on Hoddle's squad.

would defo rather have 98's team, especially Shearer

this year i cant see it being any different than other world cups - quarter finals at best

but who knows with a bit more luck?

bring it on - cant wait

COME ON ENGLAND