That was awful!

Tonight was two of the poorest football teams I have ever seen, playing out a 0-0 draw. It was that bad, that during the second half, I actually started to find it funny. I mean, it was so funny that 22 professionals could be so inept. And then Joe Jacobsen decided to demand the ball from the ball boy to take a throw in, whilst the game was in play. At that point I almost wet myself I was laughing so much.

I cannot wait for the game at their place in 2 weeks.

If by 'funny' you mean 'infuriating'. I know it was never going to be a classic tonight, i know they haven't played for a month, i know they're all short of match fitness, but FFS Penney might as well have gone to the White Hart and dragged out 11 random blokes who'd never played together before, because that's what they played like.Couldn't keep hold of the ball, couldn't pass,seemed terrified of going forward.0-0 didn't really do justice to how mind-numbing it really was.I couldn't wait for the final whistle, again, and it's got to the stage where the 70+ mile round journey to and from the ground is actually the most enjoyable thing about going to the game.

If we play like that on Saturday, Millwall will take us apart. The only reason we got a point tonight was that Tranmere are even more laughably hopeless going forward than we are.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You wonder whats gone wrong because Doncaster were never known as a ultra conservative team and Darlington always looked decent on the highlights.

Yep i went watching Darlington against Rochdale a couple of years ago in the playoffs and they absolutly wiped them off the park and remember thinking that i wouldn't mind Penney as a manager if we ever get rid off Shez.

Ok we looked rusty, that was to be expected - Tramps put 11 men behind the ball, not unexpected either but we never looked like scoring. Smalley was again absolutely pisspoor. What annoyed me most was our negative approach, we failed to win one second ball on the edge of the box - mainly because our midfield was mostly in their own half AGAIN! WTF are you playing at Penney? 9 points from four games now or you're out I reckon, rightly or wrongly. No home game for 5 weeks and still less than 3,000 home fans turned up, setting your stall out for a nil nil every week is simply pissing people off now!

Positives? Young Dale played well again, Greegs immense, :censored: put himself about and despite blowing out of arse after an hour (understandable) 90 minutes under Pav's belt AND another clean sheet (ok nowt to do again) for Brill.

Taylor match-fit or not looked very, very poor...

Offer the same level of threat and negativity against Millwall and we'll be four down at half-time. Credit to the Tramps for getting behind their side and the rendition of the great escape after the mad scramble made me smile. On the plus side the Tramps were worse than us - God help them!

Good accurate assessment of what was a very poor match, between two very poor teams.

Tonight was two of the poorest football teams I have ever seen, playing out a 0-0 draw. It was that bad, that during the second half, I actually started to find it funny. I mean, it was so funny that 22 professionals could be so inept. And then Joe Jacobsen decided to demand the ball from the ball boy to take a throw in, whilst the game was in play. At that point I almost wet myself I was laughing so much.

I cannot wait for the game at their place in 2 weeks.

I thought the same. It got to the stage where I wanted Parker on so I could have least have a laugh.

If by 'funny' you mean 'infuriating'. I know it was never going to be a classic tonight, i know they haven't played for a month, i know they're all short of match fitness, but FFS Penney might as well have gone to the White Hart and dragged out 11 random blokes who'd never played together before, because that's what they played like.Couldn't keep hold of the ball, couldn't pass,seemed terrified of going forward.0-0 didn't really do justice to how mind-numbing it really was.I couldn't wait for the final whistle, again, and it's got to the stage where the 70+ mile round journey to and from the ground is actually the most enjoyable thing about going to the game.

If we play like that on Saturday, Millwall will take us apart. The only reason we got a point tonight was that Tranmere are even more laughably hopeless going forward than we are.

Not sure about that - about the only thing we are is hard to 'take apart'. Shame we're not so hard to beat.

The match fitness thing doesn't excuse them nearly as much as some feel it should either - they played on the 4th, half a month ago.

In previous years when we have had :censored:e players we have still seen a passion and effort from them and its slightly easier to take knowing they're trying , this lot look like they dont give a flying fish about the club , and another 2 loan signings in the team, people were sat behind me going who is that ? and who is that? , is that Jacobson our player? did :censored: come from our youth?

This latics team isnt latics anymore

full of loan signings and lazy journeymen,

Not looking forward to saturday already planning my hiding spot in work on monday away from the Millwall fan , or I might even book it off =/'

Edited by razza699

In previous years when we have had :censored:e players we have still seen a passion and effort from them and its slightly easier to take knowing they're trying , this lot look like they dont give a flying fish about the club , and another 2 loan signings in the team, people were sat behind me going who is that ? and who is that? , is that Jacobson our player? did :censored: come from our youth?

This latics team isnt latics anymore

full of loan signings and lazy journeymen,

Not looking forward to saturday already planning my hiding spot in work on monday away from the Millwall fan , or I might even book it off =/'

It is the same throughout the league, Bosman, Sky, capitalism, Premiership clubs snapping up young talent, full moon or whatever have ended the days when players played for the same club all their career, played cricket for the church team on a Saturday, still drank in the Ribticklers Arms down Hills St and you could get a bag o' chips, see the match, get t'bus home and still have change from thrupence ha'penny...

On the plus side the Tramps were worse than us - God help them!

Were they really? Wishful thinking there I think. It took us 20 mins to get out of our own half and a further 10 for our first shot. Should've got up and walked out straight after our shambolic kick off. To me, to you.

This is disgraceful. The worst I've ever seen. And for that reason I very much doubt I'll be going on Saturday. Think it's the first time I'll have ever missed a home league game when I've genuinely got nowt else to do.

This club has been ripped to friggin shreds. It was like watching an old dog last night waiting to be put out of it's misery. We can't put it down so we may as well walk away. This isn't my club anymore.

E4e

OARIP

Were they really? Wishful thinking there I think. It took us 20 mins to get out of our own half and a further 10 for our first shot. Should've got up and walked out straight after our shambolic kick off. To me, to you.

This is disgraceful. The worst I've ever seen. And for that reason I very much doubt I'll be going on Saturday. Think it's the first time I'll have ever missed a home league game when I've genuinely got nowt else to do.

This club has been ripped to friggin shreds. It was like watching an old dog last night waiting to be put out of it's misery. We can't put it down so we may as well walk away. This isn't my club anymore.

E4e

OARIP

Worse than us in the aspect that their play in the final third was woeful - a decent side would have beat us three or four nil given the positions they created then made a complete balls of.

As for Saturday, I'll see how I feel - not missed a home game yet this season and I had renewed optimism before last night's game. That had been obliterated by the 15th minute last night.

If you're reading this Penney, attack the opposition or just fook off! Simples!

Goodwin? WTF?

Timar? WTF?

Two more loans we didn't need when we have our own players warming the bench, we need another striker and to allow the midfield to push on - then we may see an improvement. when we have pushed on (Albeit behind against 10 men) we have looked very good and a threat so why the fook do set our stall out like the Italian side of the 70s?

No, I have gone past the getting angry stage. it pointless. I have realised, the more pissed off with them I get, the worse they seem to play.

Edited by dave_ragg1984

Didn't go last night as i was busy, but things sound worse than ever.

A mate of mine is coming up from Exeter next week to visit and we usually go to watch a game (he's a hudds fan). I think i might suggest us forgetting the match and spending the £40+ in the pub.

Wished we would have signed Allot aswell,

the driving force in Midfield would always give 110%

Also people dont like to admit it but we are missing Eardleys drive and passion IMO

It's not about passion and drive. Rubes, Gregan, :censored:, Taylor, Stephens, Abbott etc have enough of that. It's about a distinct lack of teamwork, quality and amateurish 'leadership' from the sideline.

E4e

OARIP

Over a post-game pint in the Range, after a bad performance; I tend to at least try to still find the positives; it’s what me & mate try to do, “you know even though we were pretty awful; at least <insert player name> had a good game” etc etc.

Last night, we genuinely struggled for positives.

That was a game between to awful sides, who between them produced a stagnant, turgid horrible game of football. As bad a game as I can honestly remember.

It has sadly come to this; being a season ticket holder is the ONLY reason I’m still going to attend home game. If I hadn’t paid upfront; there is absolutely no way I’d still be turning up and paying to see that dross. If performances continue in that vein, I honestly might not even bother; even though I’ve shelled out. I’m not entertained anymore, there is no atmosphere anymore, there’s no passion or pride anymore – it feels more like a duty or chore turning up now; not something that you are actually genuinely excited & motivated to do.

My Dad picks & chooses the games he comes to; with the 5 & a bit weeks layoff and it being the 1st game of 2010 he decided to come last night. £20+ spent that he said outright he would not be doing again this season – he gets to say 1 in every 4/5 home games these days; or should I say used to – that’s it for him; another one lost.

Its not just the 0-0 scoreline, it’s the manner of the performance. We set up last night for a draw. At home. Against Tranmere. Who are a worse team than us. Set up for a point, Unbelievable.

A CB at RB

A CM switched to RB

A Winger starting upfront

A powder-puff CM on the left; then the right.

A ST brought on the play on the left, then the right of midfield.

An out of sorts youngster playing in 4 different positions in the 90mins (no no effect in any I might add)

Baffling changes, baffling tactical decision & baffling selection decisions.

Penney is & will be the fall guy for many, and to be honest I can have no qualms with those fans. The often used phrase of ‘once the players cross the white line its down to them not the manager’ is tripe as far as I’m concerned. DP picks the team, set the tactics & modes of play & sends them out – his decisions – his responsibility – end of.

We have bog standard players coupled with a bog standard management team (I actually heard Colliett shout to JJ ‘Kick the ball Joe’ last night; beggars belief eh?) in a bog standard ground. We’ll be playing in a bog standard league 2 next year too……………….

Utterly, utterly disaffected with it all now; the pride & passion has gone from the club – and for the 1st time; it’s gone from me too now. As LaticNik says OAFCRIP.

Over & Out.

Didn't go last night as i was busy, but things sound worse than ever.

A mate of mine is coming up from Exeter next week to visit and we usually go to watch a game (he's a hudds fan). I think i might suggest us forgetting the match and spending the £40+ in the pub.

Im so tempted to join you :shock:

Edited by razza699

Danny Whitaker got subbed last night and made his way back to the bench moaning and shaking his head at being taken off.

I suggest that he's takes a good look at why he wasn't out of breath and didn't have a single bead of sweat on his peanut head.

Danny Whitaker got subbed last night and made his way back to the bench moaning and shaking his head at being taken off.

I suggest that he's takes a good look at why he wasn't out of breath and didn't have a single bead of sweat on his peanut head.

probably peed off about being played in every other position than his natural one

That was my first home game of the season last night and it may be my last for a while again.

I've never seen a Latics side play so much like strangers and with a lack of sharpness. I was really shocked by just how bad we were. Tonnes of aimless long balls from the back, couldn't get the ball off the opposition.

We had the chances though to win that game but we didn't take them. We are in lots of trouble if we continue to play like this but I don't think anyone has the fight for it anymore. Players, staff or fans.

Looks like I made the right call again...

Its not looking good now is it... Everyone said wait for his best players to come back... They are back and we are in the relegation zone....

I reckon within the next 12-18 months we'll be in admin and this time no one will give a :censored:....

Looks like I made the right call again...

Its not looking good now is it... Everyone said wait for his best players to come back... They are back and we are in the relegation zone....

Oh but they were rusty dont forget as DP said........................................... :unsure: