What the Bloody Hell Was the Pen For?

I just cant see how he gave the pen without the red card. You can be given a yellow for adopting an aggressive attitude but raising your hands is a definite red. I think the fact he didn't send him off shows he wasn't confident in the decision.

In the end, red or yellow card (it would have been a soft red, but letter of the law is red for me) doesn't really matter.

The lino missed the provacation and saw the retaliation. The penalty decision was based on what he saw.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter where the ball is on the pitch. A foul is a foul and if it happens in the box a penalty is the outcome.

As soon as the flag went up I said to my mate "if he's going to pin this on Gregan the outcome has to be a penalty".

I saw a mate of mine after the game and he reminded me of the incident at Hartlepool three weeks ago. Chris Taylor was 'head-butted' and the perpetrator was given a red card. However, there was no penalty awarded to us. Both incidents were off-the-ball. Both referees can't be right.

I saw a mate of mine after the game and he reminded me of the incident at Hartlepool three weeks ago. Chris Taylor was 'head-butted' and the perpetrator was given a red card. However, there was no penalty awarded to us. Both incidents were off-the-ball. Both referees can't be right.

The ball wasn't in play at Hartlepool.

That's the key difference.

Edited by opinions4u

have seen the beginning of the incident now.

Gregan defo pulled the millwall player down in the penatly box. A rugby player would have been proud of that challenge, its was the best male bonding hug I have seen in long time - so, justice was done but in an extremley delayed and poor way.

It was the delayed nature of it all....the Millwall player then kicked Gregs, gregs reacted, both then walked over to the linesman with Brill in tow.

THERE WAS NO "the linesman was waiving his flag frantically..." untill after all three players approached him.

It's just unfortunate that the delay caused both sets of fans to react in an extreme way and child got hurt.

If he orignally flagged for the incident in the fist place - the out come would have been easier and not incensed a lot of fans.

Gregan knew it too by his reaction at the end of the game, he squatted down to the floor an although he got up to clap the fans, he hardly moved from the half way line.

oh well, we have to keep going - players and fans alike.

Gregan defo pulled the millwall player down in the penatly box. A rugby player would have been proud of that challenge, its was the best male bonding hug I have seen in long time - so, justice was done but in an extremley delayed and poor way.

So your saying this happened before the trip/kick? Didn't see that part of it. Was the ball in play at the time?

Also, where have you seen the pictures.

Get over it. We're gash and that's nowt to do with the lino or ref.

Just imagine if you'd changed your betslip at the last minute after seeing Millwalls awful away record and changing an away win to a draw. And just imagine again if the only match to let you down in an 8 game accumulator was...

Don't really need £2,500 anyway.

E4e

OARIP

The ball was lobbed into our box Gregan slam dunked the Wall player, a move Big Daddy would have been proud of, the ball was then cleared down the left wing then, a ball looking for Pav then tthe Wall defender intercepted, the one with the bandage on his head, that was when the ref blew for the penalty, the lino wasn't flagging straight after the incident as could be seen on the football league show which I recorded and have watched time and time again, the ref should have blown for a penalty straight away.

Get over it. We're gash and that's nowt to do with the lino or ref.

Just imagine if you'd changed your betslip at the last minute after seeing Millwalls awful away record and changing an away win to a draw. And just imagine again if the only match to let you down in an 8 game accumulator was...

Don't really need £2,500 anyway.

E4e

OARIP

Ouch...

So your saying this happened before the trip/kick? Didn't see that part of it. Was the ball in play at the time?

Also, where have you seen the pictures.

Hi Opinions

We were inthe RRE yesterday so Gregs/Millwall players backs were to us.

However, we taped the footy league show which was shot a different angle. It shows the beginning of the incident. Gregan wrestles/slam dunked the Millwall player down, as tangerine dreams said - in a move big daddy would have been proud off.

The ball is still in play and in cleared in the box by our number 20 something or other,(sorry not good on all our players names yet), it was a good pass as the ball got to our player near the half way line to set us up for the attack. End of the TV piccies until the penalty itself.

What I then saw was the Millwall player, still on the deck in the box, kick out at Gregs, I didn't see Gregs reaction (bloomin nephew distracted me) - but based on the comments on here - he did react. I then saw both players with Brill coming over too, approach the linesman to have words. It was then the linesman started the frantic flagging, I thought it was because he was not happy about the words being said to him. The rest is history.

No use in crying over spilt milk now. We need to score to win and we can't Pav is still not 100% fit and its wrong to rely on one man to do it.

I am happier seeing us string some passes together and getting the ball out to the wings more as last Weds - was really bad

Surley we are due a break, lets keep going....

Surley we are due a break, lets keep going....

One off the line v Tranmere.

An extraordinary penalty to lose to yesterday.

The handball in the box at Hartlepool where the ref only gave a free-kick.

Yes, we're due a break. That's 4 points above that would have sat in a comfortable looking mid-table place.

I think Penney is, in many ways, an unlucky manager. But for the first time I find myself thinking that perhaps it's best for all concerned if he moves on - because some of his bad luck is a result of a negative style of play, due to his failure to find strikers who can deliver.

Edited by opinions4u

As galling as it is, the long and short of it is that if we created some bloody chances in the second half or showed some composure in the first half then it wouldn't have mattered. Bitch and moan all you want (and believe me I did), but we got what we deserved in the end.

it was obvious at half time that millwall were going to come out stronger and their manager obviously wasnt happy during the first half. we are due a break and i think that break will come soon, along with a striker hopefully

Bit late to this thread, but I saw it all. Greegs seemed to drag their guy down in the box, the lino never flagged. The play moved upfield, and as Greegs jogged away, their guy kicked out at him. Still no flag. Greegs then turns round and grabs him round the neck and pushed him. STILL no flag. The Millwall player then goes over to the ref, as did Harris (I think it was) along with Greegs. ONLY THEN did the lino raise his flag, so God only knows what his interpretation was, and why it took him so long to indicate it.....

Just seen the pen again on BBC highlights. Although the lino was v v v v v late flagging, definite pen. Gregan rugby tackled their guy

Aye, at the time I was following the ball, watching it on the league show it was as stonewall as it could be. If Gregan was going to foul/ manhandle him he should have done it properly and injured the git.

Just seen the pen again on BBC highlights. Although the lino was v v v v v late flagging, definite pen. Gregan rugby tackled their guy

Nah, the referee and everyone else in the ground saw the initial challenge. They did not appeal for a penalty and the referee saw no foul so the play continued about 80 yards up the field for a further 10/15 seconds.

Then the play was brought back and the penalty was given for the afters (not the initial challenge).

Nah, the ref missed it as he was ball watching, the lino saw it but didn't flag as despite supposedly being an assistant referee he was happy to wait for the ref to make the decision. It was only when the Milwall player started berating him that he decided to bring the situation to the ref's attention.

We almost got away with it, if it hadn't been for that pesky Milwall player....

One off the line v Tranmere.

An extraordinary penalty to lose to yesterday.

The handball in the box at Hartlepool where the ref only gave a free-kick.

Yes, we're due a break. That's 4 points above that would have sat in a comfortable looking mid-table place.

I think Penney is, in many ways, an unlucky manager. But for the first time I find myself thinking that perhaps it's best for all concerned if he moves on - because some of his bad luck is a result of a negative style of play, due to his failure to find strikers who can deliver.

And the post - bar - post and out at Wycombe from Heff.

Nah, the ref missed it as he was ball watching, the lino saw it but didn't flag as despite supposedly being an assistant referee he was happy to wait for the ref to make the decision. It was only when the Milwall player started berating him that he decided to bring the situation to the ref's attention.

We almost got away with it, if it hadn't been for that pesky Milwall player....

Watch the video highlights again, the referee is about 15 yards away with an unobstructed view and is looking directly at Gregan and Harris as they come together and both go to ground. He doesn't signal anything and allows the play to continue up the other end of the field, he only stops the game and brings the play back on the linesmans call, which indicates to me the penalty was for whatever went on afterwards.

Anyway it doesn't really matter as its just been chalked up as another defeat, both Hartlepool and Millwall have now done the double on us this season and thats just not good enough.

Watch the video highlights again, the referee is about 15 yards away with an unobstructed view and is looking directly at Gregan and Harris as they come together and both go to ground. He doesn't signal anything and allows the play to continue up the other end of the field, he only stops the game and brings the play back on the linesmans call, which indicates to me the penalty was for whatever went on afterwards.

Anyway it doesn't really matter as its just been chalked up as another defeat, both Hartlepool and Millwall have now done the double on us this season and thats just not good enough.

The lino only started flagging once the MIlwall player started arguing with him, it was the lino signalling to the ref that caught his attention. Looked to me like neither of them were going to give it till Milwall started whining.