Flattered To Deceive

I thought we started well today, at a much higher tempo than the tranmere game and actually caused them problems with our movement early doors.

We created 3 or 4 good chances but failed to take any of them and this is one of our biggest problems and will continue to be until we bring in an effective striker.

All in all a good first half.

I don't know what happened during the half time break but we lost the plot. Millwall changed tactics and we were unable to adapt.

The penalty sealed our fate, heads dropped and we resorted to aimless punts forward and confidence drained away.

Our attacking threat became minimal and you couldn't really see a goal coming.

Taylor IMO turned in another ineffective performance and furman ran into too many blind alleys ( i've still to be convinced by him ) Parker ran out of steam and smalley .....well!

After early promise...same old same old.

I thought we started well today, at a much higher tempo than the tranmere game and actually caused them problems with our movement early doors.

We created 3 or 4 good chances but failed to take any of them and this is one of our biggest problems and will continue to be until we bring in an effective striker.

I don't know what happened during the half time break but we lost the plot. Millwall changed tactics and we were unable to adapt.

The penalty sealed our fate, heads dropped and we resorted to aimless punts forward and confidence drained away.

Taylor IMO turned in another ineffective performance and furman ran into too many blind alleys ( i've still to be convinced by him ) Parker ran out of steam and smalley .....well!

still rather see smalley on the pitch than have to watch parker stroll through yet another game

I actually thought Smalley was much better today than on Wednesday when he had a shocker.

Today for me Parker and Taylor were much worse than Smalley they were just passengers the whole game.

Abbott is about 60% fit and I actually think Gregan would beat him in a sprint at the moment.

spot on there. but i would say that millwall upped their game and we didnt. it was bound to happen and i was saying that when abbott dragged his shot wide.

That's what I thought, he'd be playing in front of Furman for me.

i cant see furman playing on saturday, he showed a couple of nice touches but more misplaced, miscontroled ones.

and as 0000 says, maybe eaves should start on saturday, he didnt look to bad and he wouldnt have anything to lose.

Spot on.

Taylor was woeful yesterday - yet he stayed on

Smalley - poor - outside of the box wins some flick-ons- in the box he lives up to his name when he jumps - never beats his man - no crosses - cannot see why he is picked

Parker - starts off with bags of energy - quickly fizzles out - cannot shoot - no good

Furman - too many bad passes - hesitant poor game

Penney - cannot see what his game plan is - why are so many of his choices playing so poorly?

This is a side totally lacking in confidence or even a game plan - worrying times - DP will not last much longer

spot on there. but i would say that millwall upped their game and we didnt. it was bound to happen and i was saying that when abbott dragged his shot wide.

i cant see furman playing on saturday, he showed a couple of nice touches but more misplaced, miscontroled ones.

and as 0000 says, maybe eaves should start on saturday, he didnt look to bad and he wouldnt have anything to lose.

The trobule is Eaves would, he'd get the same treatment Smalley does, or Brill does, or whoever the lastest boo boy is.

Smalley - poor - outside of the box wins some flick-ons- in the box he lives up to his name when he jumps - never beats his man - no crosses - cannot see why he is picked

Parker - starts off with bags of energy - quickly fizzles out - cannot shoot - no good

smalley is great at winning flick ons but the went to their masked defender every single time. there was nobody to recieve them and millwall picked up on that. i blame that on brill (who i thought had a good game) who insisted on playing it to that wing all of the time.

parker was improved for me today, he forced a couple of errors but still didnt bother shooting. i like the way he kept jumping for long balls when he was still a couple of feet off them.

smalley is having an absolutely shocking run of form. how him and parker make the team i don't know....

oh wait, i do know, it's because their replacements are even worse.

It's baffling, we've got a lad...:censored:...on the bench who at least puts the effort in and looks interested yet gets overlooked in favour of some of these wasters!

I actually thought Parker ran his socks off yesterday (especially in the first half), maybe should have done better with the half-volley chance but he is not the lazy player many would have you believe. The ironic cheers that greeted his substitution were completely unjustified.

Spot on.

Taylor was woeful yesterday - yet he stayed on

Agree with both these two strongly, I can't believe this is the same Chris Taylor from last season. I know he's struggled with injuries but last season he seemed to want the ball and demanded it, whereas this season he doesn't seem to want the ball half the time. That said I've not seen as many games as I did last season but I'm judging from what I have seen.

And Smalley, as much as I think he's a decent player, needs to start demanding the ball too, and using it. Wingers for me are supposed to get the ball under control and use it, have a run at a man, get a cross in. Do something with it, instead of being on the peripheral of the game.

I actually thought Parker ran his socks off yesterday (especially in the first half), maybe should have done better with the half-volley chance but he is not the lazy player many would have you believe. The ironic cheers that greeted his substitution were completely unjustified.

I agree that he works harder than most give him credit for. I personally think his biggest downfall is keeping his head when he gets through on goal, rather than his ability to finish (before anyone says these are practically the same thing, I'm not in that camp). From what I've seen he just lashes at a number of chances rather than taking his time with them. I appreciate it can't be easy to stay composed but his record at Blackpool shows it's possible for him, at least at this level.

What I don't think helps with regard to Parker is that a lot of balls are played for him to run onto, and with us having a somewhat small pitch, by the time he's onto the ball in the middle rather than the wings, the keeper's already out to close him down and he lashes at it.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Nez