Penny Out?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst we may be a step up, would he really leave what he has going for him at the moment to come to the mess we find ouselves in? But yes i agree would be by far the best appointment we could make at the moment.

Why not? You could say the same about Simon Grayson leaving Blackpool for Leeds United. Turning a club around from a complete mess into a ship-shape condition and promotion candidates is a managers wet dream and does wonders for the CV.

Look at the candidates for our managers last season. Mark Robins being one of them. On the cusp of getting Rotherham back to this division, and he's looking at other projects. Misses out on us and ends up at Barnsley; a club in a right two and eight at the bottom of the Championship.

While it may be that Keith Hill prefers to stay with Rochdale, never rule him out taking on a vacant role here. It's never as cut and dried as "Oh, he'll never fancy it".

Whilst we may be a step up, would he really leave what he has going for him at the moment to come to the mess we find ouselves in? But yes i agree would be by far the best appointment we could make at the moment.

Never going to happen...

I don't think it will either, because I doubt our board would have the foresight to hire someone like him.

As for the "he'd never leave Rochdale who are top of League Two for Oldham who are in a relegation battle" reason; it's nonsense. The way I see, it's still a step up for him, we could offer him better terms, a better budget and the crack of managing a League One team now and one which he wouldn't have to relocate for. We are still in a better position than Rochdale (what u been smokin' bbrr?), they're in League Two looking like good value for promotion, we're in League One in 21st but nowhere near doomed for relegation, or at least like Stockport are. Do you think Keith Hill has faith in his managerial abilities? Do you think Keith Hill thinks that he could win our game in hand against the bottom team to get us out of the relegation spots? Yes I think that he thinks he could. Okay, now assume he kept us up, even mid table and Rochdale do come up, we're both at the same level, but again our budget will be bigger and he'll be on better money. And surely you'd think that Oldham would have more chance of a promotion push next season if Hill came and did his business than Rochdale would even if Hill stayed there?

According to most people on here we're in this position because of Penney....so if you get rid of Penney and replace him with Hill do you think we'd still be as inept and spineless?

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

Why not? You could say the same about Simon Grayson leaving Blackpool for Leeds United. Turning a club around from a complete mess into a ship-shape condition and promotion candidates is a managers wet dream and does wonders for the CV.

Look at the candidates for our managers last season. Mark Robins being one of them. On the cusp of getting Rotherham back to this division, and he's looking at other projects. Misses out on us and ends up at Barnsley; a club in a right two and eight at the bottom of the Championship.

While it may be that Keith Hill prefers to stay with Rochdale, never rule him out taking on a vacant role here. It's never as cut and dried as "Oh, he'll never fancy it".

I know what your saying but leeds are a complete different kettle of fish to us, and we were also in a better posistion last time. I wouldn't rule it out altogether but i'd be fairly confident he will have better offers open to him if he wishes to leave them anytime in the near future and he will know it.

I know what your saying but leeds are a complete different kettle of fish to us, and we were also in a better posistion last time. I wouldn't rule it out altogether but i'd be fairly confident he will have better offers open to him if he wishes to leave them anytime in the near future and he will know it.

That's a decent point. 'Cause a Rochdale promotion on his C.V would be very impressive and if he stays there long enough he will get hired by a bigger club, whether that be League One or Championship. But if we move in their first then it's not beyond the realms of plausibility that he'd join us.

Gannon would be my preferred choice. I think the commitment issue he had at Motherwell was brought on by the fact he was still living in Stockport. Could be just what we need. Keith Hill would be equal to Gannon in my eyes but i find it highly unlikely Hill would leave Dale, unthinkable actually.

if JG comes anywhere near OAFC is start wathcing Oldham Town

A football club will be around longer than any manager.

He lasted less than 6 months at Motherwell and even Stockport wouldnt have him back ! That tells you how good he is !

Maybe I'm missing something, but Stockport reappointing Gannon at this moment won't happen for a handful of reasons.

1) The administrators made his position redundant last year.

2) He has a strong case for unfair dismissal against the administrators because they recreated the position so quickly.

3) They already have a manager they can't afford to sack.

4) They owe Jim Gannon several thousand pounds that, until the business is more stable, they can't afford to pay.

5) If they appoint a replacement for Ablett, they are creating a problem for any potential new owner who wants to bring in their own man - this is an added layer of cost that could scare off any potential buyer and if a buyer isn't found it could actually lead to the business being wound up.

F--- Gannon. He antagonised 7/8 of Scotland immediately upon his appointment at Motherwell. He will do a Dowie and look for another job within 5 minutes of being appointed.

What's wrong with antagonising Scots? :wink:

We are well and truly in speculation stage here of course. Penney, as far as we know, is still in a job and Gannon hasn't, as far as we know, been appointed.

If he was appointed we would see big changes very quickly at BP. That in itself carries a degree of risk for the current season which has to be balanced against the risks of sticking with Penney.

Edited by opinions4u

DP will be here next season no way will TTA payoff yet another manager if they did who would want to manage our club???

Heffernan will be the best we can attract we will be lucky if we can get him in, we are a club in a mess bottom four and looking at league 2 next season..

I believe two strikers have turned us down this week Nathan Eccleston and Ryan Amoo from Liverpool

DP will be here next season no way will TTA payoff yet another manager if they did who would want to manage our club???

Heffernan will be the best we can attract we will be lucky if we can get him in, we are a club in a mess bottom four and looking at league 2 next season..

I believe two strikers have turned us down this week Nathan Eccleston and Ryan Amoo from Liverpool

Well we best prepare for life in League 2 then

Oldham Nil.....................Now where have I heard that before?

We wouldn't score in a brothel, apparantly we played much better than on Wednesday but if you don't score you don't win....simple.

Before yesterday's game Millwall had won 1 away game all season and that was at Stockport in the middle of October so they were hardly going to come and attack us were they!!

People were saying we had a chance to turn it round with the three up and coming home games where 7 points would be a minimum....well we have one from the first two!!!!!!

I really don't think Penney can make this team perform and we need a fresh impetus from somewhere, and quickly.

I also don't think that any one player will make a difference to this team under the current stewardship.

We need a whole new game plan and tactical approach.........If that has to be from a new manager then so be it!!!!

i think the longer penney is left in charge the harder it will be for us to stay up,summit needs to happen now to bring life back into the club.After next saturday we have stockport and tranmere away,get nowt from those two games then we are fooked.

I have heard a tale tonight that a sign has been hung on the dressing room door. It says training is cancelled on monday and is signed Simon Corney.

tbf it's the training that's producing these performances so stopping them doing it seems a great idea to me :grin:

Gannon would be my preferred choice. I think the commitment issue he had at Motherwell was brought on by the fact he was still living in Stockport. Could be just what we need. Keith Hill would be equal to Gannon in my eyes but i find it highly unlikely Hill would leave Dale, unthinkable actually.

Why would keith hill want to leave a progressive club like rochdale to take over the shambles that is Oldham Athletic?

He would inherit a bunch of wasters which would require a radical overhaul.........I can't see many managers clambering for this job!