Well...

why is it that some latics fans always compare penney to shez?? the club needs to more forward instead of trying to get ex managers back etc and ex players they left for a reason mostly because they were :censored: move on

yeah but vernons contract is up at the end of the season, must be worth a look surely?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good, you'll would have had to take your socks off. Maybe. I doubt it. We were no better then, than we were now. In fact 12 months ago the rot set in.

Short term fixes, it's always short term fixes - that's the whole crux of the matter. And probably why we're still in Division 3 FFS.

We've been on this particular downward spiral since Jan 2009. There is nothing to suggest that a change of personnel at the top of the team staff, at this stage of the season would put us in any better position. In fact we'd be worse off, we'd get a nobody manager who was definitely unproven, and we'd have to pay Davey-Boy off.

erm...wind your neck in chief. A use of language offends you, tough luck. never said Penney should be sacked but the ultimate responsibility has to fall with the manager as it is he who picked the team, tactics and is supposedly motivate the players. If it looks like we are going to be relegated, and I say it is on a knife edge at the moment, then we have nothing to lose by getting a new manager in.

I do not want to be playing in league 2 next season, it will be much tougher then most believe to bounce back up.

Edited by laticsmad

Sorry?! What exactly is that theory based upon? Remind me, how many times did we lose by six or more goals under Sheridan?

Frankly, comparing Penney to Shez, to argue in Penney's favour, is nonsensical.

0 but how many times were we 4-0 down, I can only think of 1 and that team came bottom (and beat us 5-0). Why is it nonsensical when comparing Shez to Penney to argue in Penney's favour? Give Penney Shez's teams and I think he'd do just as well if not better; give Shez Penney's team and we would be worse off. Of course this is my opinion and isn't based on fact. Shez is a good coach (he's great for this level) but he isn't a good enough manager he hasn't got the right man management skills.

One way I can think of when comparing the two is look at Shez in League 2 and then look at DP last year who did better and who has the bigger budget? DP did just as well as Shez is doing on a much reduced budget. Of course the playing budgets are the same for Oldham according to those in the know- me I prefer to see things for myself and unless Pawel Abbott and Keigan Parker are on mega wages (£3k/week) I can't see it.

I'm not a huge DP fan but I simply don't rate Shez as much as others on here

Edited by rudemedic

0 but how many times were we 4-0 down, I can only think of 1 and that team came bottom (and beat us 5-0).

So your original argument holds no water then, since it never actually happened and since it's based on one match in almost three years.

Why is it nonsensical when comparing Shez to Penney to argue in Penney's favour?

Because, over those three years, Sheridan's team was never in the bottom four in the second half of the season.

Give Penney Shez's teams and I think he'd do just as well if not better; give Shez Penney's team and we would be worse off. Of course this is my opinion and isn't based on fact.

Quite. And, whilst there's obviously arguments to had around budgets, they did each construct the sides they worked/are working with.

Shez is a good coach (he's great for this level) but he isn't a good enough manager he hasn't got the right man management skills.

One way I can think of when comparing the two is look at Shez in League 2 and then look at DP last year who did better and who has the bigger budget? DP did just as well as Shez is doing on a much reduced budget. Of course the playing budgets are the same for Oldham according to those in the know- me I prefer to see things for myself and unless Pawel Abbott and Keigan Parker are on mega wages (£3k/week) I can't see it.

Penney's Darlington did pretty well on a handsome budget, I thought. When the wheels fell off, and the money wasn't, they fell away.

I'm not a huge DP fan but I simply don't rate Shez as much as others on here

I'm not either, never have been. But, I couldn't say he's a worse manager than Shez or vice versa. Both have their shortcomings, both have their strengths.

What I do think though, is that, thus far, I really cannot view Penney as an improvement on Sheridan. Shez's time as manager was pretty respectable, if unremarkable. Penney's first half-season has been a bloody disaster.