Dave Penney

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ritchie had us playing to look to win instead of this 10 men behind the ball rubbish DP uses and all his excuses he comes up with

Thing is, this "10 men behind the ball rubbish" is what 9 times out of 10 gets you out of the division. So many times I've seen a pretty ordinary, but hardworking team reach promotion thanks to a good solid defence and a couple of strikers who know where the net is.

I too call a spade a spade, which explains why I called you wet.

*squeeky voice*

"Oooo, we might be rubbish, mired in a relegation fight infront of all-time low crowds, but at least there hasn't been any player scandals."

Circumstances Rude Boi, circumstances.

Again :censored: off. How am I being wet by suggesting that one of the reasons DP was hired was to improve squad discipline and he's done that. Or are you still so blinded by nostalgia that you think everyone who has ever played for Oldham is such a good manager that no non ex-Latic could be better- Ritchie was naff and Shez was a good (in fact I'd be tempted to say great) coach but he is a poor manager.

Plus what circumstances does Ritchie have in his favour? We had bigger crowds so had more money coming in.

Ritchie had a lot lower budget to work with than DP.

Ritchie had us playing to look to win instead of this 10 men behind the ball rubbish DP uses and all his excuses he comes up with

1.) How do you know he has a lower budget- we had bigger crowds so had more money coming in?

2.) So playing to win means you are a better manger does it? I'd much rather draw a game 0-0 where i've gotten board of watching paint dry than loose 5-4 in an all-time classic. As someone has already said playing with 10-men behind the ball and having some quality up front has gotten more than one team out of this division with Scunthorpe being two recent examples. Ritchie's idea of quality up front was Paul Beavers and he was appalling.

Thing is, this "10 men behind the ball rubbish" is what 9 times out of 10 gets you out of the division. So many times I've seen a pretty ordinary, but hardworking team reach promotion thanks to a good solid defence and a couple of strikers who know where the net is.

Yes, but DP's version isnt as good due to us being that defensive and cautious we struggle to score,

1.) How do you know he has a lower budget- we had bigger crowds so had more money coming in?

2.) So playing to win means you are a better manger does it? I'd much rather draw a game 0-0 where i've gotten board of watching paint dry than loose 5-4 in an all-time classic. As someone has already said playing with 10-men behind the ball and having some quality up front has gotten more than one team out of this division with Scunthorpe being two recent examples. Ritchie's idea of quality up front was Paul Beavers and he was appalling.

Oldham are in the entertainment industry (results aswell, admittedly) so more people are willing to part with good money to watch good entertaining football even if result is a loss, compared to a boring game. Compare attendances from ritchies era compared to DP's and ronnies.

Also penneys idea of a striker is keigan parker.

Again :censored: off.

:banana3:

How am I being wet by suggesting that one of the reasons DP was hired was to improve squad discipline and he's done that. Or are you still so blinded by nostalgia that you think everyone who has ever played for Oldham is such a good manager that no non ex-Latic could be better- Ritchie was naff and Shez was a good (in fact I'd be tempted to say great) coach but he is a poor manager.

Plus what circumstances does Ritchie have in his favour? We had bigger crowds so had more money coming in.

Look, sorry for being a :censored: rude boy, the comment narked me at a time when I've been bored and trying to make things 'interesting'.

It was a wet comment though....

In hindsight was he the right man for the job who was available and willing to come- probably not, but he is good at doing what shez was naff at doing (have we been in the news for player scandal this year)?

....had you suggested what you now claim to only have been suggesting then I'd have agreed.

What makes you so sure Shez is a good/great coach?

As for Ritchie's Latics budget, I've never before heard it disputed being measly which is all that's pertitent.

Compare attendances from ritchies era compared to DP's and ronnies.

I think you'll find they were much of a muchness. Stitch hardly had them flocking in.

Also penneys idea of a striker is keigan parker.

Hey, the best managers in the world get them wrong. Your comment may be vindicated if Penney was still playing him, but he isn't. He's out of favour and quite rightly so. I think an agreement for Parker to find another club in the summer beckons.

Y'know, I balked at the suggestion that RM made upon parting company with us, about fans being too wallowed in nostalgia and the past holding us back. I'm happy to hold my hands up now and say Ronnie, you were spot on; fans being too precious, and unwilling to change. I had a feeling Penney would struggle to fit in because he "wasn't one of our own" when he arrived, I just really hope we have a strong end to the season, just to make some of our so called supporters eat some words.

We're running out of 'legends' to turn to. Roger Palmer for manager anyone?

I think you'll find they were much of a muchness. Stitch hardly had them flocking in.

Hey, the best managers in the world get them wrong. Your comment may be vindicated if Penney was still playing him, but he isn't. He's out of favour and quite rightly so. I think an agreement for Parker to find another club in the summer beckons.

Y'know, I balked at the suggestion that RM made upon parting company with us, about fans being too wallowed in nostalgia and the past holding us back. I'm happy to hold my hands up now and say Ronnie, you were spot on; fans being too precious, and unwilling to change. I had a feeling Penney would struggle to fit in because he "wasn't one of our own" when he arrived, I just really hope we have a strong end to the season, just to make some of our so called supporters eat some words.

We're running out of 'legends' to turn to. Roger Palmer for manager anyone?

Not a ghost of a chance. :lol:

:banana3:

Look, sorry for being a :censored: rude boy, the comment narked me at a time when I've been bored and trying to make things 'interesting'.

It was a wet comment though....

....had you suggested what you now claim to only have been suggesting then I'd have agreed.

What makes you so sure Shez is a good/great coach?

As for Ritchie's Latics budget, I've never before heard it disputed being measly which is all that's pertitent.

It was what I was suggesting then- I've suggested it before as well. Shez is a good coach because he gets the team playing good football without a great deal of talent, it was off the field, e.g. Doggygate that scuppered him. He needs someone like a Moore or a Penney above him to be the bad cop to his good cop. A manager has to manage, which means massaging some egos and deflating others and more besides- Shez was not very good at this and far too often let his heart rule his head. Coaching wise he could let his own experience and skill take him a long way.

I can't remember but I think this is where Ricthie fell down a bit as well- he can coach but finds it hard to manage (the differences are there). As to his budget I'm aware it wasn't great but I don't think Penney's is either and while Stich's budget may have been worse, perhaps Penney's is relatively worse since the likes of Leeds, Southampton, Charlton, Norwich are in our league now and the likes of York and Wrexham were in our league then

It was what I was suggesting then- I've suggested it before as well. Shez is a good coach because he gets the team playing good football without a great deal of talent, it was off the field, e.g. Doggygate that scuppered him. He needs someone like a Moore or a Penney above him to be the bad cop to his good cop. A manager has to manage, which means massaging some egos and deflating others and more besides- Shez was not very good at this and far too often let his heart rule his head. Coaching wise he could let his own experience and skill take him a long way.

I can't remember but I think this is where Ricthie fell down a bit as well- he can coach but finds it hard to manage (the differences are there). As to his budget I'm aware it wasn't great but I don't think Penney's is either and while Stich's budget may have been worse, perhaps Penney's is relatively worse since the likes of Leeds, Southampton, Charlton, Norwich are in our league now and the likes of York and Wrexham were in our league then

When Ritchie was here, Fulham, City, Reading, Preston and Burnley, who all had money to spend, and they did.

And with reference to you saying York and Wrexham were there then, we now have teams like Exeter, Wycombe, Yeovil. All three of them teams are as small as York and Wrexham were then, if not smaller.

Edited by Lee Sinnott

When Ritchie was here, Fulham, City, Reading, Preston and Burnley, who all had money to spend, and they did.

And with reference to you saying York and Wrexham were there then, we now have teams like Exeter, Wycombe, Yeovil. All three of them teams are as small as York and Wrexham were then, if not smaller.

Wycombe were in our league then as were teams like Macclesfield, Cambridge, and some others who have spent time in the conference since. Personally I feel there is more money in our league now than there was then

Couldnt agree more mate, think Penney is either being clever and making Parker pull his finger out or he has cut his losses and put it down to a bad signing.