Radical idea to bring in crowds, create attention & clear fixture congestion

Simple. Play 2 games in one day. I know the straight laced Latics obssessed will dismiss this as a stupid wind up but please read my benefits list. Obviously, this is assuming we are clear of relegation.

£15 for 2 matches would get a big crowd.

It would provide excitement to an otherwise dull and pointless end of season.

It would obviously mean the youngsters get more of a run out.

The players would carry momentum from a good performance into the second game.

A player on a hot streak gets 2 games instead of one.

A player out of form doesnt play 2 consecutive matches in a week, he is replaced for the second game.

Now, I know your gonna say "but the players will be tired blah blah blah". This neednt be a problem.

In the first game, play half the first team and half the kids. In the second game, play the other half of the first team and the kids. The players can play in both matches as substitutes.

There isn't a single downside to this. I stated that the games would take place once we are safe from relegation so it won't have a negative effect in that way. It would create a lot of attention and maybe gain new fans.

Tthe inevitable criticism will follow but there isnt a single bad point to this idea.

Tthe inevitable criticism will follow but there isnt a single bad point to this idea.

so you want to play two consectutive games with two totally different teams? if one team won, you wouldnt want to rest them but youd have to. you couldnt get any consistency at all and we've started to find out that consistency in a team means better results.

bad idea for me

Simple. Play 2 games in one day. I know the straight laced Latics obssessed will dismiss this as a stupid wind up but please read my benefits list. Obviously, this is assuming we are clear of relegation.

A player out of form doesnt play 2 consecutive matches in a week, he is replaced for the second game.

Now, I know your gonna say "but the players will be tired blah blah blah". This neednt be a problem.

In the first game, play half the first team and half the kids. In the second game, play the other half of the first team and the kids. The players can play in both matches as substitutes.

There isn't a single downside to this. I stated that the games would take place once we are safe from relegation so it won't have a negative effect in that way. It would create a lot of attention and maybe gain new fans.

Teeny weeny flaw in the grand plan,

Their league 1 players, they can only just manage one game, let alone two ;)

Suppose we will have to feed em spinach between games

In theory I like it. It's certainly radical. :grin:

However, I fear there are a few insurmountable logistical issues. For a start, if you really are going to brave ISZ for four hours you wouldn't want all the hot food running out 10 minutes into the first match... :unsure:

there are loads of bad points. For example the season would be shorter. Our spuad is not big enough. Plus other teams would agree with it. Also the football league and fa would not agree to it.

Edited by spadam

Well I think you're all a bunch of miserable bastards. <_<

Could you really see the F.A sanctioning this?

With the extra policing that would be needed to keep two sets of away fans at bay, not to mention the health and safety issues of clearing one set of away fans out first, then seating the next lot? Then you've already mentioned the food shortage issues.

I wouldn't object to two games over a weekend though, one on Saturday one on Sunday. But it's not gonna happen.

what about away games? i doubt that you could go from oldham to exeter in an hour or two between games

That you couldn't do, but I do know that the New York Mets and New York Yankees played a baseball double header in 2000. They played at the Mets Shea Stadium in the afternoon, and as soon as that finished they all got on the Subway and went to Yankee stadium to play in the evening.

Obviously, this would not work for us... 2 games against different opposition...we would be bloody knackered! And playing half first team/half youths in one game and playing the other half in the next game wouldn't work. Our first 11 isn't good enough as it is. If definitely wouldn't be good enough at half strength.

Well I think it's a bad idea, firstly I would like to bla bla bla. Who the :censored: thinks this guy's being serious? It's the most retarded idea i've ever heard, what's with the serious responses?

Tell you what I had this idea that we should be the first club to play it's home games on the moon. I know what you're thinking, that would make us as bad as the franchise but just think about the publicity, hmmmm tasty publicity nom nom nom. Then finally everyone in the whole world will know about our revolutionary cantilever roof on the Rochdale Road End! There are a few logistical nightmares to overcome but i'm sure they can be worked around.

Obvious troll is obvious.

its a non starter.

however, if you look at some of the archives, quite regularly teams would play a game at home against opposition and then play the same team the following day at their ground...

not as radical as the suggestion...but nevertheless a novel idea... :huh: