Yesterday

Any other team in the league would have beaten Norwich yesterday. It was a good battling performance but Norwich scored with their one and only chance and that's why they are top of the league. I lost count of the number of times we did that in 90/91. So well done to the Canaries for taking their chance when it came and their fans were very complimentary over our performance.

I can't slate the lads for that performance yesterday but again we have a situation where 8 are sweating blood for the cause and 3 are going missing. Unfortunately two of them are two of the biggest reasons we are failing to score goals. - Taylor the headless, heartless chicken and Furman the biggest disappointment since I was in my late teens, thought I'd be getting it on with a lass with the biggest pair of norks I'd seen only to find out they were mostly padding! The third culprit is Lee, nothing against the lad but he's too lightweight and bullied too easily.

Back to Taylor, he truly is an enigma, he gets the ball and hasn't a clue what to do with it. I was watching Bellamy at Stamford Bridge yesterday, Taylor could do no worse than do the same, get down the line and only cut inside at the last minute. He'll find more space than constantly getting crowded out on the edge of the box. He's hit a wall here unfortunately, too many injuries and other factors are affecting him. I would cash in, in the summer and take what we can. If I could I'd offer him on loan to Leeds and try and get maybe Robinson and A N Other in return. We missed a massive trick in Sheehan imo - when he was here we looked genuinely threatening down the flanks.

As for Furman, sorry but we've signed a 4th Division player, in hindsight it's easy to look a player in pre-season when games are being played at 40% pace. The lad suffers from colour-blindness and can only pass sideways!

On to the overall performance:-

It was good to see Stephens popping up in the box late on - something he needs to do more. The forwards are crying out for support and we need a midfileder to get beyond the forwards and pop up with a couple. (ala Dux)

We're far too narrow on the wings and therein lies part of the problem. Colbeck gave us genuine width yesterday and had done very little wrong, in fact I am pretty mystified why he was sacrificed when he looked our only wide threat. Having seen Pav and Price a couple of times, I'd let Price go back, him and Pav are playing the same role and often in each other's way. We need a foil for Pav not like for like. I still stand by my suggestion that Pav is not an out and out target man but we need that fox in the box alongside him. Price has done little wrong but we need goals - Price is far from the answer. Rubes and Greegs were immense again and JJ is impressing me more and more every game.

There wasn't a lot wrong with the overall performance, a good save from Parker's miss and Rubes has a great header cleared off the line, and on another day we'd have got at least a point, but we need that killer instinct. What worries me is everyone (including the players and management) see us steamrollering our way through March, but we're playing teams down and around us, that will fight, bite, and scratch for every single ball - we've one or two that go missing when the chips are down. And that worries me greatly. March will not be the formality that some think. It will go down to the last few games of which 4 out of the last six are away.

As for Penney, try looking like you give a :censored: Dave, you might not give a monkey's Mr. Penney but show some raw emotion and maybe the fans may start to take to you. There's 15 games to save the season, let's stop fannying about and go for it. We had a go yesterday, we had a go at Colchester too - which team is going to turn up at Exeter? - over to you Dave!

I'll see the Bottom Block, day release crew at Exeter!

Edited by oafcprozac

Sorry Prozac but there are a few things I have to disagree with.

1: Kieran Lee had a great game yesterday, put in more tackles than I have seen him put in before and was able to carry the ball forward and cut inside past players and lay the ball off. We can't have it both ways, we moan when we have a physical right back who is poor going forward and we moan when we have a less physical right back but can actually play football ?!!!

2: Colbeck was not great, his first touch is unbelievably bad, there was one time in the 1st half where even Grant Holt managed to track back and catch him because he couldnt bring the ball under control. He helped out defensively but offered little going forward.

3: Try and get the DVD of the full game and count the amount of times JJ played it short...he got a lot of the ball and all we got was hoof! Obviously this was down to Taylor being narrow but he didn't know what else to do with the ball. Admittedly McNamee pressed him high up the pitch but It was only in the 2nd half when Norwich dropped deeper and he had a bit of time on the ball that he managed to pass to feet. I could have played left back in the first half if id have gotten away with hoofing the ball every time I had it!

Greegan and Hazell played well and I agree with what you say about Price and also Stephens, he will be some player next year when he strengthens up!

Norwich weren't great but we played very well, Parker should have scored and so should Furman who is great at tackling but panics when he has to go forward with the ball. If we'd have been in the play offs before yesterday we would all be saying how unlucky we were!

good post prozac......agree with all comments bar the one made about a young Mr Lee - i think you are being a little harsh on Lee. Personally I thought he did well yesterday, he looked acomplished and linked up with Colbeck pretty well.......might have been at fault for their goal by getting caught up field but I am fine with that - we were actually pushing on trying to force a winner.

Although most of the season has been sh*te, I actually took some heart from the performance yesterday.............. B)

1: Kieran Lee had a great game yesterday, put in more tackles than I have seen him put in before and was able to carry the ball forward and cut inside past players and lay the ball off. We can't have it both ways, we moan when we have a physical right back who is poor going forward and we moan when we have a less physical right back but can actually play football ?!!!

2: Colbeck was not great, his first touch is unbelievably bad, there was one time in the 1st half where even Grant Holt managed to track back and catch him because he couldnt bring the ball under control. He helped out defensively but offered little going forward.

3: Try and get the DVD of the full game and count the amount of times JJ played it short...he got a lot of the ball and all we got was hoof! Obviously this was down to Taylor being narrow but he didn't know what else to do with the ball. Admittedly McNamee pressed him high up the pitch but It was only in the 2nd half when Norwich dropped deeper and he had a bit of time on the ball that he managed to pass to feet. I could have played left back in the first half if id have gotten away with hoofing the ball every time I had it!

Greegan and Hazell played well and I agree with what you say about Price and also Stephens, he will be some player next year when he strengthens up!

Norwich weren't great but we played very well, Parker should have scored and so should Furman who is great at tackling but panics when he has to go forward with the ball. If we'd have been in the play offs before yesterday we would all be saying how unlucky we were!

Agreed. Lee had his best game in a Latics shirt for me. He showed some of what I was expecting when we signed him

Agreed. Lee had his best game in a Latics shirt for me. He showed some of what I was expecting when we signed him

Best game, but still dropped the bollock that cost us a goal, to add to the two he cost us at Hartlepool, I dodn't want to make a scapegoat of him as there were 10 others too out there, but he's no full-back. Given his ability to pass the ball, he could do no worse than Furman in centre-mid. I just don't see him having the will to play full-back week in week out.

Didn't really notice him tbh, apart from making the mistake that led to the goal. It's all about opinions I suppose, he's neat and tidy but never gets anywhere and is easily bullied off the ball and couldn't tackle his way out of a wet paper bag. Just out of interest where was :censored: and what's up with Goodwin?

I was chuffed when we signed someone with KL's pedigree, sadly it just hasn't worked out for him here. I'd be very surprised if we offered him or he even wanted to sign an extension. As for young Dale we need to be talking to him and quickly!

Edited by oafcprozac

None of the wingers have gone on the outside this season. I don’t know if this is down to tactics, self belief or what but it is evident.

Taylor when on the ball rarely loses it and can play a decent ball to bring people into the game but no one is ever there to help him. No one moves up from midfield. We don’t have that midfielder that provides the link between the front two and the centre. Furman and Stephens play deep.

Furman gets himself about but after speaking to a mate who is a Bradford fan I was reliably informed he had goals in him. I just can’t see that.

Our strikers looked poor. They are too slow and too similar. Price until the end of the season would not benefit the club. We looked dangerous when Parker came on and there was a bit of pace to get behind them. It is just a shame Parker is absolutely terrible when it comes to finishing. Yet another one on one missed. Surely he should be working on these. He seems to get one every time he plays.

On the plus side Gregan was immense again. The ball he cleared off the line showed him to be as nimble as a four stone ballerina (and who knows he could be). It was a poor error from Brill that led to that and we were lucky not to get punished.

Lee had his best game, but he's certainly not a full back. Southampton sussed him out, Hartlepool too and the goal yesterday came from his channel where he lost his man.

That said, he did have a decent came but the bottom line is he cost us the goal yesterday, like it or not.

Best game, but still dropped the bollock that cost us a goal, to add to the two he cost us at Hartlepool, I dodn't want to make a scapegoat of him as there were 10 others too out there, but he's no full-back. Given his ability to pass the ball, he could do no worse than Furman in centre-mid. I just don't see him having the will to play full-back week in week out.

Didn't really notice him tbh, apart from making the mistake that led to the goal. It's all about opinions I suppose, he's neat and tidy but never gets anywhere and is easily bullied off the ball and couldn't tackle his way out of a wet paper bag. Just out of interest where was :censored: and what's up with Goodwin?

I was chuffed when we signed someone with KL's pedigree, sadly it just hasn't worked out for him here. I'd be very surprised if we offered him or he even wanted to sign an extension. As for young Dale we need to be talking to him and quickly!

What about all the goals others have give away? He hasnt had much playing time over 2 years and i thought he looked good today.

About the goal i was more bothered why holt was left unmarked in the centre of the box,

Haven't seen it since so will stand corrected if proven wrong, but IIRC Lee was caught completely out of position for their goal allowing McNamee all the time in the world to cross the ball in. Wasn't bad, but wasn't as good as some people are making him out to have been.

And as for his best game, well it wasn't a patch on the performance he put in at Crewe on Boxing Day last season. I do like how players apparently have their 'best/worst game in a blue shirt' a few times a season.

Haven't seen it since so will stand corrected if proven wrong, but IIRC Lee was caught completely out of position for their goal allowing McNamee all the time in the world to cross the ball in. Wasn't bad, but wasn't as good as some people are making him out to have been.

And as for his best game, well it wasn't a patch on the performance he put in at Crewe on Boxing Day last season. I do like how players apparently have their 'best/worst game in a blue shirt' a few times a season.

agree lee was caught out of position for the cross,but he cant stay back just incase they might put a cross over,when lee moved up someone should have covered him and when the cross went over it should have been defended, to me it like holt was left alone so to me it was a defensive error and not a lee error i actually thought he played well especially as he doesnt get much football,would much rather see him him in the middle though :grin:

Wingers will get crosses in end of. The fact that one of the leading scorers in the football league was left twiddling his thumbs in front of goal is criminal. Yes we played ok, but, we should have got something out of the game and didn't. Yes we've played and been beaten by the top 3, how well we played still doesn't give us any more points. We appear to :censored: out of everything, including having a shot on goal. If we'd have had a proper balls out go yesterday I'm sure we'd have at least a point. Norwich appeared to be there for the taking.

Lee was definitely caught out of position, as were others, due to them not expecting Abbot to lose the ball so easily.

That was our biggest worry yesterday- losing the ball cheaply, and not playing the simple pass. Other than that we played well considering the scoring boots were still locked in the bootroom.

Wingers will get crosses in end of. The fact that one of the leading scorers in the football league was left twiddling his thumbs in front of goal is criminal. Yes we played ok, but, we should have got something out of the game and didn't. Yes we've played and been beaten by the top 3, how well we played still doesn't give us any more points. We appear to :censored: out of everything, including having a shot on goal. If we'd have had a proper balls out go yesterday I'm sure we'd have at least a point. Norwich appeared to be there for the taking.

Too many people are happy to be 'having a go', that won't keep us in this division. We'll see what the players are made of during March, Many just do not understand that teams like Exeter, Wycombe and Stockport will contest every ball ferociously in an attempt to stay up. Our pansies are :censored:-scared of shooting or close their eyes when they go up for a header or have 15 yards of space in front of them and instead of tear arseing into it, he checks back and look behind him, just in case a nasty man tackles him. (Taylor)

There's 6 games in march, anything less than 12 points will be an absolute disaster and leave us staring down the barrel. We haven't had one good run longer than three or four games all season, so why do the happy clappers suddenly expect us to click into gear? We've won FOUR games since the end of September, yes injuries were an excuse but Pav and Taylor (our saviours apprently) have been back since Hartlepool away and we've still only won 2 in 9 and failed to score in 5 of those games and lost 6 of them. Exeter beat Leeds at home, Stockport have perked up, Orient blow hot and cold, Brentford are a bloody awful team to play against. Brighton are a real threat away from home and Wycombe will be fighting for every scrap. Unless we get that striker in and someone to supply the bugger, this season will end in disaster. After winning at Tranmere I thought we'd be ok, suddenly teams have picked up around us and come the 30th of March if we get anything less than 12 points we will be staring down the barrel.

We had games in hand in 93/94 and 96/97, we didn't win the required games and we went down. This team is worse than either of those teams in terms of goal-scoring and there were plenty of hard-luck stories in those seasons too. Without the performances of Gregan we'd be rock bottom.

Edited by oafcprozac

ive got to agree. lee had a great game for me. yes, it was probably his fault for the goal but as others have pointed out, dont leave grant holt free in the penalty area!

jacobson was a dissapointment yesterday especially his distribution. i have been impressed with him though and i hope that was just an off-day for him.

furman isnt great and he definately isnt the box to box midfeilder we were told but he is good at breakingup play and he linked well with stephens