England - Egypt

First, Egypt aren't the best non-European (and I guess you mean South American as well) team. They may have won the ANC again, but I watched it all and they aren't that great. Certainly Cameroon and Ivory Coast are better. Probably USA and maybe Mexico too.

He said best non-Euro team who isn't going to SA.

But, that isn't really much of a point. My main thing with England is the importance of Joe Cole. He is one of the very few (two) players with the ability to unlock defences at the top level. If he isn't fit and he doesn't go for that, or play as much as he would do if fit, then fair enough. But to replace him with a player because he can't run fast is a horrible thought. Then again it's happened before (Le Tissier for instance). But we have no real alternative on the left. Downing is :censored:. Johnston is untried. Gerrard is right sided, Barry (the man I would have had as captain) is a central midfielder (or left back). Milner is the nearest to an alternative. Being honest, I like Milner, but it's like the people who couldn't see the difference between Bertrand and Lomax.

I agree entirely. Cole is criminally underrated.

First, Egypt aren't the best non-European (and I guess you mean South American as well) team. They may have won the ANC again, but I watched it all and they aren't that great. Certainly Cameroon and Ivory Coast are better. Probably USA and maybe Mexico too.

But, that isn't really much of a point. My main thing with England is the importance of Joe Cole. He is one of the very few (two) players with the ability to unlock defences at the top level. If he isn't fit and he doesn't go for that, or play as much as he would do if fit, then fair enough. But to replace him with a player because he can't run fast is a horrible thought. Then again it's happened before (Le Tissier for instance). But we have no real alternative on the left. Downing is :censored:. Johnston is untried. Gerrard is right sided, Barry (the man I would have had as captain) is a central midfielder (or left back). Milner is the nearest to an alternative. Being honest, I like Milner, but it's like the people who couldn't see the difference between Bertrand and Lomax.

Er I said they are the probably the best non-European team NOT to be going to the world cup. Out of all the teams NOT going to the world cup I would take Egypt against most of them, especially the non-Europeans. I know you rate Joe Cole- we've had this conversation in a pub a few times I think- your right Joe Cole is great at unlocking defences but he isn't as good as Wayne Rooney. IMHO the way England play you can't pick Rooney, Cole and Gerrard in the same team against top quality opposition (I'd love to be proven wrong) and in those 3 Cole is the one who looses out for me. I would take Joe Cole for sure- even if not fully fit as he gives us options and if Rooney or Gerrard gets injured/suspended I think he might play in a possibly slightly changed formation.

If Milner is fit he is going even just because he's so versatile (he gets in the squad on merit easily for me). Maybe its me but I don't see Downing as being as rubbish as some others on here think and I'm not the only one, Sven rates him, Capello rates him (he must do he was in this squad), O'Neill rates him, McClaren rates him and Southgate rates him (OK maybe not the last two but you get my point). I love how people can say O'Grady is rubbish because loads of managers don't rate him at this level but then say Downing is rubbish despite some good managers rating him.