Going to get hammered for this probably but i think we will pull away from relegation zone in next 6 games,

Penney in, right man for job, needs time and support, 2 things never given to managers at this club, first signs of bad spells = new manager in at this club

Going to get hammered for this probably but i think we will pull away from relegation zone in next 6 games,

Penney in, right man for job, needs time and support, 2 things never given to managers at this club, first signs of bad spells = new manager in at this club

I really wish i could share your optimism but so far there is nothing to base that on.....I'd gladly be proven wrong though.

DAVE PENNEYS BLUE AND WHITE ARMY! :bblue2::scarf001::chubb:

You'll do for me!

(However if we don't, then I suppose i'll have to share one of them rare occasions and admit that I was wrong!!) :wink:

I have been an advocate of giving managers time (our 2 most successful managers did 10+ year stints, that were not all fantastic seasons) and have said I'd back Penny.

If we are in League One next season I'd be OK with him being in charge and given another season to improve the team. If we did improve, to say 10th, then I'd give him another after that.

However my concern is that the tide is against Dave, and not sure that survival, even with a decent end of season run would stop the 'Penny Out' brigade.

Question for those against them: What final pts/position this season would mean you'd give him more time?

I have been an advocate of giving managers time (our 2 most successful managers did 10+ year stints, that were not all fantastic seasons) and have said I'd back Penny.

If we are in League One next season I'd be OK with him being in charge and given another season to improve the team. If we did improve, to say 10th, then I'd give him another after that.

However my concern is that the tide is against Dave, and not sure that survival, even with a decent end of season run would stop the 'Penny Out' brigade.

Question for those against them: What final pts/position this season would mean you'd give him more time?

We are lucky in that the teams below us are very poor but 12 points from the next 6 games would show me that Penney could have another season here, however, realistically, I just can't see it happening.

We have had 3/4 of the season now and you just can't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

If we fail to win any of our next two or even lose tonight I reckon he will be history!!!!!

Will any manager ever get given time at Latics again?!

Christ, the way some on here go on, it's like Latics fans are out on their own. ALL FANS ARE THE SAME. From all clubs across the leagues. The vast majority of managers don't get time these days. That's just the way it is with the modern game.

One thing that hasn't changed however, is that mangers who are danger of taking a club down, get sacked. This isn't a recent development. It's always been the way. And makes perfect sense to me. DP has taken a squad that challenged the playoffs to being relegation contenders. All our players who were performing under Shez, now are not.

It's clear to me what needs to happen.

Penney out now.

Christ, the way some on here go on, it's like Latics fans are out on their own. ALL FANS ARE THE SAME. From all clubs across the leagues. The vast majority of managers don't get time these days. That's just the way it is with the modern game.

One thing that hasn't changed however, is that mangers who are danger of taking a club down, get sacked. This isn't a recent development. It's always been the way. And makes perfect sense to me. DP has taken a squad that challenged the playoffs to being relegation contenders. All our players who were performing under Shez, now are not.

It's clear to me what needs to happen.

Penney out now.

Ffs and bring in who!

For me (assuming he is given the rest of this season), if we finish mid table, I would give him next season.

We go down, he has to go.

We just stay up by the skin of our teeth, he has to go.

I'm all for giving a manager time assuming he isnt going to get us relegated in the process. I want rid of Penney asap as I firmly believe Oldham Athletic will be relegated whilst he is in charge.

For me (assuming he is given the rest of this season), if we finish mid table, I would give him next season.

We go down, he has to go.

We just stay up by the skin of our teeth, he has to go.

I'm all for giving a manager time assuming he isnt going to get us relegated in the process. I want rid of Penney asap as I firmly believe Oldham Athletic will be relegated whilst he is in charge.

If that does happen I feel that his mission will have been completed this season therefore giving him another season in office.

If that does happen I feel that his mission will have been completed this season therefore giving him another season in office.

Agreed but I think the damage will have been done amongst the fanbase then and many fans will simply not want to know, wheras a new manager could (not saying definitely will) bring renewed optimism for the forthcoming season.

I've got to say if he was to stay in charge next year I'd go into the season with very little optimism, Regardless of whicg div we're in. I've not called for his head but if he was to get sacked tomorrow (Which is likely to happen with anything less than 3 points tonight) I'd not be arsed.

Signings have been poor, performances have been poor, Tactics have been poor... I think he's a decent guy but I could understand him losing his job. Not after 6,10 or 12 games but this far in I'm not bothered. Give him until the end of the season even but unless things have improved massively get rid for me

for me if he keeps us up he stays till next xmas at the earliest. If signs of improvement are there which they should be after that time (ie. a few more goals and going to the bigger teams in the league and actually causing them some problems) in charge then he gets the rest of next season.

we need stability but not with the wrong person as manager.

I liked the sound of DP when he came in and the comments he made when he took the job but the one i found odd was - we need to get to 45 points (whatever the exact figure was) as quickly as possible he was expecting a relegation battle back then and im not sure any of us expected to be this close to it. i said we would finish 10-12 this season and would have been happy with that....

but we find ourselves staring down the barrel of a gun and all us know this a crucial time for us. We have played slightly better in recent weeks - Leeds aside but then seem to be able to fall down to the levels of the first half against exeter all to easily.

rambling aside im not sure DP has the managerial skill or players to keep us up but im hoping he can and ill be there with everything crossed tonight ready to clap the boys of after a 3-0 win! haha lets hope the journey up from London takes something out of Orient

Agreed but I think the damage will have been done amongst the fanbase then and many fans will simply not want to know, wheras a new manager could (not saying definitely will) bring renewed optimism for the forthcoming season.

I think the damage has already been done for a fair few hundred already this season but like I said I think his mission this season will be no more than to keep us up allowing him to finish of the second half of his contract, only if we get relegated this season can I see him being shown the door with his P45 shoved firmly in his arse pocket (I may be wrong on that also) However the offer on the season tickets for next season might just give him the breathing space that TTA allow him to stay, if there is a sharp drop in season tickets which I have no doubt that there will be, could be contributing factors to his departure along with many more.

Penney in from me if we stay up, however if we are relegated then..... Ah I don't want to think about that until it is imminent.

Edit;

Renewed optimism came last season when JR came back (attendance), the same at the start of this season I was full of optimism, now I'm just full of a cold

Edited by tangerinedreams

Penney out now for me. He is taking us down. I will try anyone until the end of the season.

And for all of you who keep asking for more time for a manager. How long do you mean..... 3years?? 5 years?? or just time to see a manager get some success??? Because given that long he could possibly win the Unibond league title and I guess some of you would be happy with that!

I've got to say if he was to stay in charge next year I'd go into the season with very little optimism, Regardless of whicg div we're in. I've not called for his head but if he was to get sacked tomorrow (Which is likely to happen with anything less than 3 points tonight) I'd not be arsed.

Signings have been poor, performances have been poor, Tactics have been poor... I think he's a decent guy but I could understand him losing his job. Not after 6,10 or 12 games but this far in I'm not bothered. Give him until the end of the season even but unless things have improved massively get rid for me

Same here except I would give him next season as well to improve.

Will any manager ever get given time at Latics again?!

Im surprised managers still get 2/3 year contracts, when the majority get fired within 12 months. Fans rightly expect a successful team but that is every fan at every club in the country.

Penney has been extremely unlucky this season with the players that have been injured, he has also had players lke Smalley and Taylor who in my opinion are not progressing and should be sold on at the end of the season.

At the end of this season i would get rid of Taylor,Smalley,Colbeck,Whittaker,Parker,Hazzell,Lee and Fleming.

We need to progress with the youngsters Dale Stephens, Ryan Brooke and give Bembo-Leta a chance, we should try and make Goodwin's loan deal permanent and sign Flahaven.

We would then need to buy Martin Devaney(winger), Andy Butler(centre back), Billy Clarke (forward),Arron Davies(winger), all of these players are either not regular first teamers or in Davies's case without a club and would vastly improve our squad.

No idea. Promote TP for the short term. He can't do any worse than get us relegated.

He doesn't want to be manager.

Penney out now for me. He is taking us down. I will try anyone until the end of the season.

And for all of you who keep asking for more time for a manager. How long do you mean..... 3years?? 5 years?? or just time to see a manager get some success??? Because given that long he could possibly win the Unibond league title and I guess some of you would be happy with that!

a bit harsh. He is a better manager than that.

Well he did say his first target was 52 points. I didn't know it'd be the ONLY target this season. We're hardly on course for that are we <_<