Top Performers this season

Joey J is also a very decent defender at this level, and would have loved to have seen him from the start of the season.

Its everything infront of them that needs stripping apart and starting again. Stephens has had a great season for him however he is a still a long way off being the answer to all our prayers. With Whits & lee sodding off (hopefully) and Tayls going (hopefully/probably for some wedge) then its rebuild time.

'Joey J' is a lower league journeyman in the making if ever I saw one.

I reckon we'd be lucky to fetch £250k for Tayor these days - he looks a fraction of the player he was under Shez. Hopefully he can get back on track otherwise he'll soon be worth :censored: all.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'Joey J' is a lower league journeyman in the making if ever I saw one.

I reckon we'd be lucky to fetch £250k for Tayor these days - he looks a fraction of the player he was under Shez. Hopefully he can get back on track otherwise he'll soon be worth :censored: all.

If it was going back intot he team (and that is a big if) I would snap your hand off for £250k for Tayls. However, Trusting DP to spend that is another matter.

I like Joe J a lot, but not enough to argue his corner that strongly. He was also bery good at CB, so a welcome meber of our squad. As for lower league journeymen... well, probably describes 90% of the players out there in our division these days....

If it was going back intot he team (and that is a big if) I would snap your hand off for £250k for Tayls. However, Trusting DP to spend that is another matter.

I like Joe J a lot, but not enough to argue his corner that strongly. He was also bery good at CB, so a welcome meber of our squad. As for lower league journeymen... well, probably describes 90% of the players out there in our division these days....

I haven't seen him at CB - if he's decent there and it's therefore another string to his bow then that is of course a big positive. Verstatile players are especially valuable to clubs limited like ours.

I have seen him at left back 5 or so times however and I'm yet to be impressed. I suppose the jury has to still be out but I think he'l be pretty far from set up for life out of his football career, let's put it that way!

As for the Taylor/DP comments, I fully agree.

hes a proffesional footballer. bringing the ball under control isnt sufficent effort. its like playing with ten men half the time

Seriously? That has to be a fish surely?

Abbott has been one of the few bright sparks in a thoroughly dark season (along with Gregan IMO) to date; how he is coming in for the level of tap in this thread is beyond me to be honest.

The simple facts are that without his goals; we'd be looking up at all the other teams in this division from the very bottom of the league.

Career wise; he has never been; nor will he ever be; a 20 a season striker. His goals return this season is actually more than I assumed he's bring to the table; that even with his enforced layoff through injury. He is a link striker; a provider for the team as he brings into play others around him. The main problem all season long has been that he hasn't had anyone to link with. The wide men haven't joined in to take advantage of space he creates and he hasn't had a strike partner to complement him since pre-season; and he still doesn't have one now.

For a snippet of what Pav is all about; those who doubt what he brings to the side need look no further than Deane Smalleys' opener from Tuesday night. He (Pav) made Smalleys mind up for him by dropping short and showing for the ball; drawing the CB out of position and creating a gap between CB & LB which Deano burst into - the give & go ball that Pav produced to find Smalley was top draw; and IMO know one else in the side is capable of producing passes like that.

Just because he doesn't run around a la a Paul Warne for 90mins doesn't for one minute mean he is a lazy player or that we "play with 10 men" - TBH that is one of the most ludicrous things I have ever read on here (and there's been a hell of a lot of competition recently!)

Of the DP signings; he's the only one who I feel you can honestly say has been a success; the others have been basically sub-standard to outright woeful all told.

• I'd persevere with Joe J; whilst he's missed a massive chunk of the season with injury; he has at least looked an OK L1 defender in his appearances to date. Worth a second full season in the side for me.

• Furman has been a massive disappointment; I didn't get as giddy as some on here with his signing; but I expected more than he has produced – he hasn’t looked even close to scoring (or even showing intent to do so) and he is neither a midfield ball winner nor a creative spark - he's looked a very; very average player for the reported £50K we’ve paid for him.

• Colbeck - I'd accept his give everything whole-heartedness if he'd arrived here as a free agent; I'd take that. Standard wise I'd say he's a squad player in a struggling L1 side; so that's about right. Wherein the problem arises with Joe is that a (pretty) big fee has been paid; £65K is the figure I'm told - and to be brutal; that fee could & should have been spent elsewhere on someone with slightly more "in their locker."

• Holdsworth - looked steady if not spectacular in his early games; but his long term injury has cost us. We've have to have a succession of 'stop gaps' at RB in his absence. If his injury looks like a sign of things to come from him; we might be better to cut our losses; RB's who aren't crocked and stay fit are somewhat 2 a penney (sic!!) out there.

• Worthington - similar to Holdsworth in that 'his sort' of midfield player is readily available out in the free market - if long term fitness is an issue; once again we may be better to cut & run.

• Parker - as soon as is humanly possible; he needs to be ousted. As big a f&*k-up signing as I can recall. Been an absolute shocker and needs to go ASAP.

• Purdie - does he exist? Exactly the same as Holdsworth & Worthington and then some - being out for the whole season; drawing a wage for nothing has cost us. Know one knows where his best position is or what he will add to the side so in that respect he's an unquantifiable asset - but the long term injury and fitness concerns worry me <Matty Appleby anyone??>

• Brill - his mistakes have directly cost 7 goals (IIRC) and the points from the games they happened in. He looks a very poor goalkeeper and I would concerns if he was our back-up 'Keeper next season; let alone the thought that he is 1st choice. The worst of the signings IMO.

We need another clearout - they are never the ideal as ultimately you're having to start from scratch - but added to sub-standard players DP inherited; his signing have been shocking. Lee, Whittaker, Lomax, Lewis can all go for me. On current showings this season; I'd take a decent sum for both Taylor & Smalley (I'd take figures around £300K & £150k for both respectively) if offered.

That leaves Reuben & Greegs, Stephens and Pawel as the basis to build around - which is worrying in itself.

An interesting pre-season beckons me thinks..............

Edited by slystallone