Brighton Post Game Thread

Trouble is Bob, there is the same rumour every week.

Who could we realistically get in that would keep us up?

cant think off the top of me head...

jim magilton...erm.....phil brown...the bloke just sacked by bristol is it???? clutching at straws....bloody hell id give it a go meself for feck all till end of the season...

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was very poor. I'd warmed to the idea of sticking by Penney until at least the end of the season, indeed I missed the first 5 minutes due to messing about backing Latics and laying Brighton :blush:, but Penney's job has to hanging by a thread now. At least of half the (remaining) crowd openly want him out.

Nobody played well today, bar maybe Flahaven and Guy who looks a Paul Warne type but with a bit more class. Even Greegs wasn't great (though still of course more than adequate) while Abbott was average at best.

Black has rightly come in for Jacobson but is even worse. Lee was garbage today after some promising displays. Worthington was abysml, Furman barely any better (anybody else starting to find him annoyingly over-enthusiastic?). Whittaker hardly got a kick and when Smalley replaced him he managed to bugger it up every single time he got it into his feet. Taylor is not the player some have kidded ourselves he is - if he is then he's well out of sorts. That would leave Hazell who was ok bar a few bizarre hoofs, and Eaves who looked promising once again.

When is Dale Stephens back? We need him in the midfield alongside :censored: - that will keep us up. Has Penney even played them together yet?!?

Trouble is Bob, there is the same rumour every week.

Who could we realistically get in that would keep us up?

Realistically, we will not go down this season regardless of who we have at the helm. So, if in the massive unlikely event that Penney is sacked, Duxbury till the end of the season with Philliskirk as his number two.

At least there will be passion then. And they will be given time by the fans.

I would place a large amount of money on Duxbury and Gregan taking charge until the end of the season

Stone me.

Yeah, let's fire a manager who actually has a managerial C.V with two promotions and two big cup wins over Premiership teams for two blokes who have no first team managerial experience, one our on field captain and the other a reserve coach. Duxbury might have been a good player, he might be a good coach and he could be a brilliant manager, but a relegation scrap is not a time to test that. Likewise, imagine making Gregan assistant manager, do you not consider the implications that could have on his on field performance and if his performance drops due to off field distractions then that puts us in a very precarious position.

Simply put, the best person within Oldham Athletic to manage Oldham Athletic is Dave Penney.

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

Does that mean you know he's on his way, or do you mean if he's on his way?

<tries to make the evening slightly exciting>

if he is on his way then i would put in a caretaker capacity duxbury and philliskirk....

give some of the more established players a kick up the arse and start playing a few of there kids,who i have to say are head and shoulders above some of the first team lot....if millar played so bloody well against wycomb how come he cant even get on the field....he should have been on,whats the point in having good players on the bench and not use them.

Simply put, the best person within Oldham Atheltic to manager Oldham Athletic is Dave Penney.

You are a bit over the top happy clappy for me... but I would agree with this...

Sack him and bring in a decent manager... (that said, I doubt he will be decent enough for the majority of fans given our track record or sacking decent managers)..

What we don't need is poor team + low moral + inexperienced management..

Edited by oafc0000

HAHAHA

Too much enthusiasm! We really will moan about anything at Latics wont we?

Jesus wept.

Furman will come good but I wish he'd stop flying into tackles which he can't win, flapping for the ball when we win a freekick and just generally being petulant. I suppose if he/we were playing well it wouldn't bug me, and he probably wouldn't do it. :wink:

I've seen every team this season and it's one of the worst standards I remember this division ever having.

And I include the seasons when York, Macc, Wrexham, Cambridge etc were in here.

I saw only one game, against Exeter... I said then we are rubbish but we won't go down.... You are right there is a lot of rubbish underneath us... How lucky for us, other seasons would of seen us down I think...

I think it does, it's the same as Bob posting 'Penny out' when he hasn't been a game since the old King was alive, how can you call for a manger to go when you have very little experience of seeing that manager in action.

Easy, you go with the masses. On the same basis you claim not to attend for whichever reason seems most popular at the time of posting.

First half I thought we played well today, 2nd half first 30 mins was appalling. Taylor needs a rocket up his rrrs, he black needed support/options from taylor but got none. And I'm sure there's not a single manager in league 1 who doesn't use the notes: "Taylor - will fake an outside run and cut in between 2 players - let him make the move and close the gap to get the ball from him"

Luckily Hartlepool and tranny drew last night and exeter drew today. 10 days off might not help, but is unlikely to do much harm.

cant think off the top of me head...

jim magilton...erm.....phil brown...the bloke just sacked by bristol is it???? clutching at straws....bloody hell id give it a go meself for feck all till end of the season...

Interestingly Bristol City have sacked Gary Johson (his managerial career is very South West based so no players he can get here)

And they are leading Newcastle 2-0, Keith Keith Millen Asst Mgr as Caretaker. mmm

Sign him up or appoint Dux.

I still like Philliskirk, but he does not seem to want it, which is fair enough.