Loan Deadline Day

Just thought i'd make a thread to discuss some of the moves happening in League 1.

Andy Robinson has joined Tranmere (BBRM will be gutted!)

Franck Queudrue has joined Colchester.

Lewis Grabban to Brentford.

BBC - Transfers.

Edit: Link Added

Damn that fat scouse winger will probably keep them up now

Franck Quedrue is an awesome signing!

Bet Penney is mourning missing out on that Left Back

I think I'd get a bit bored of being in a headlock every day of the week. Although I suppose the sensation is similar in some ways to watching Latics - in as much as after a while your head goes numb.

As you know, I disagree that it started going wrong with Sheridan's sacking. I think we'd reached the point where it was, regrettably, the only thing to do.

I'm not even sure it went wrong with the interim appointment of Joe. If nothing else, I suspect he told TTA a few home truths during his time here.

And I was actually happy with Penney's appointment at the time. In fact, beyond the usual noncommital noises from people who were simply disappointed it wasn't someone they'd heard of, I don't remember anyone being vehemently opposed to his appointment.

So, it seems "where did it all go wrong?" is a harder question to answer than it appears.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't know the answer, but I do know it started a looooong time ago.

Edited by garcon

Where did it all go wrong? well it depends from which height you want to discuss. I guess from the first few weeks in the old first division in 1991 you could say it's been a downward spiral ever since. However I think the poster means from when Latics have been contesting play off spots the past few seasons or since the tenure of TTA.

For me it's been going downwards since being dumped out of the play off's by Blackpool. We've had periods of high's since then but nothing consistent and just maybe had Hughes been fit the entire season immediately afterwards, then that could have been a different story. However even though we held a play off birth for periods the season after that, once the rot set in and we vacanted the top 6 spots we've been hurtling down ever faster since. Big Joe couldn't stop the decline and Penney as failed through one thing and another all season long. Penney's problems have been many and varied and not solely down to one thing. It's been a culmination of bad luck and errors.

It's all gone wrong for the crowd and atmosphere over that entire period and not one manager's tenure. The two constants in all of this are TTA and the fans.

EDIT: Back on thread topic: No loans for us, no surprises there really.

Edited by Lags

I've been looking at the table and teams fixtures.

Stockport and Wycombe are probably down.

The rest is down to us. I can't see us picking up too many points either.

Where did it all go wrong?

Mark Hughes and that goal. Everyone knows that!

MAybe he'll try and make amends and do a stint as boss.

Where did it all go wrong? well it depends from which height you want to discuss. I guess from the first few weeks in the old first division in 1991 you could say it's been a downward spiral ever since. However I think the poster means from when Latics have been contesting play off spots the past few seasons or since the tenure of TTA.

Selling Neil Adams and stopping playing with 2 wingers. We used to try to win games, we then started to try not to lose. Chuck in "Sparky's" goal and it has been downhill ever since.

Could even go back to Arch-duke Ferdinand being shot which stopped us building on our 2nd place finish in 1913.

More recently though, dropping out of the prem when we did, just before the big money kicked in. If we could have clung on in the sparky season, brought a could of fresh players in who hadn't played at Wembley we might have stayed up and kicked on. We didn't and it has been backwards ever since.

Selling Neil Adams and stopping playing with 2 wingers. We used to try to win games, we then started to try not to lose. Chuck in "Sparky's" goal and it has been downhill ever since.

Could even go back to Arch-duke Ferdinand being shot which stopped us building on our 2nd place finish in 1913.

More recently though, dropping out of the prem when we did, just before the big money kicked in. If we could have clung on in the sparky season, brought a could of fresh players in who hadn't played at Wembley we might have stayed up and kicked on. We didn't and it has been backwards ever since.

I'm I right in thinking we lost the old first division because we had a player sent off who refussed to leave the pitch, therefore we were deducted points and finished second?

Edited by bowl

I'm I right in thinking we lost the old first division because we had a player sent off who refussed to leave the pitch, therefore we were deducted points and finished second?

Billy Cook!

William (Billy) Cook was born in Preston on 16th January 1882. A full-back, he joined Preston North End in 1901 but he never played for the first-team. After spells with Ashton Town and Rossendale United he joined Oldham Athletic in 1907.

In April 1915 Billy Cook was playing in a game against Middlesbrough at Ayresome Park. At the time Oldham Athletic was challenging for the First Division title. Middlesbrough quickly took a 3-0 goal lead. The Oldham players believed that the third goal should have been disallowed. They were further annoyed when they had a penalty appeal turned down.

Early in the second-half Cook fouled Willie Carr and Middlesbrough scored the penalty to extend their lead to 4-1. Soon afterwards Cook brought down Carr again. The referee decided to send off Cook for persistent fouling. However, Cook refused to leave the field and the referee was forced to abandon the match. As a result, Oldham Athletic was fined £350 and Cook was banned by the Football Association for twelve months.

Cook continued to play for Oldham Athletic after the First World War. When he retired from professional football in 1919 he had scored 16 goals in 157 games for the club.

Edited by oafcprozac

Billy Cook!

William (Billy) Cook was born in Preston on 16th January 1882. A full-back, he joined Preston North End in 1901 but he never played for the first-team. After spells with Ashton Town and Rossendale United he joined Oldham Athletic in 1907.

In April 1915 Billy Cook was playing in a game against Middlesbrough at Ayresome Park. At the time Oldham Athletic was challenging for the First Division title. Middlesbrough quickly took a 3-0 goal lead. The Oldham players believed that the third goal should have been disallowed. They were further annoyed when they had a penalty appeal turned down.

Early in the second-half Cook fouled Willie Carr and Middlesbrough scored the penalty to extend their lead to 4-1. Soon afterwards Cook brought down Carr again. The referee decided to send off Cook for persistent fouling. However, Cook refused to leave the field and the referee was forced to abandon the match. As a result, Oldham Athletic was fined £350 and Cook was banned by the Football Association for twelve months.

Cook continued to play for Oldham Athletic after the First World War. When he retired from professional football in 1919 he had scored 16 goals in 157 games for the club.

16 goals in 157 games from a full back, that's a better ratio than most of this seasons strikers. :grin: