Southampton: Directions, Beer & Food

I'm posting this early for those wishing to plan what may prove to be one of the season's best trips.

Southampton F.C., St Mary's Stadium, Britannia Rd, Southampton, SO14 5FP.

If you are bursting for the loo when arriving early at the stadium, you’ll be relieved to know that there are the toilet facilities around the perimeter of the ground, which are accessible prior to the turnstiles opening.

Programme sellers are outside the away fans turnstiles pre-match and in the seating area during half-time.

Designed as an enclosed bowl on a single-level deck with 37 rows of seats, all spectators are under cover with good leg room and unrestricted sightlines. The roof is supported by a cantilever system, which will enable the ground to be extended upwards on three sides if required in the future. There is a large screen attached to the roof behind each goal.

Away fans are located in the Northam Stand at one end of the stadium, with three allocations 1,800, 2,400 and 3,200 dependent on demand. This stand is also the home to the more vocal supporters, so expect an ear-bashing!

The facilities within this stand are excellent and the concourse behind the stand has a Ladbrokes, TVs which show the game as it is played and a number of eating and drinking outlets. There is also a 'Pie & Pint' outlet.

Southampton FC has a Supporter Services Department and a Supporter Services Charter. http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/SupporterSe...,,10280,00.html

Disabled facilities:

The club has 199 wheelchair spaces and 100 spaces for ambulant disabled. Each space gives provision for an enabler. There are also 216 spaces for visually impaired supporters (including enablers). The numbers provided include 9 upper wheelchair spaces, 23 lower level, 12 spaces for ambulant disabled and 6 for visually impaired in the Away End.

All disabled supporters enter via ground level. Upper levels are accessible by lift. Specific disabled area stewards are on hand to assist with accessibility.

Five parking spaces are provided for disabled visiting supporters, which are available to the away club to allocate, so contact Latics.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/DisabledFans/0,,10280,00.html

Contact Keith Bungay and Paul Stocks at Southampton FC with queries:

Email: saintsaregreat@btinternet.com

How to get there:

By car:

From the North:

From M3 onto The Avenue (A33). Follow signs to the Stadium through Dorset Street, the Charlotte Place roundabout and onwards onto the A3024. After the railway bridge, turn right at the traffic lights onto the B3038 Britannia Road. St. Mary’s Stadium is visible at the end of this road.

From the West:

From M3 follow signs for M27 west. Exit the M27 at Junction 3 and join the M271 towards Southampton. At the end of the M271 turn left following signs to Southampton City Centre and East Docks. Follow signs to West Quay, turning right into West Quay Road (A33). Follow the A33 through Town Quay and Queen’s Terrace. Once in Canute Road, turn left at the ttraffic lights into Royal Crescent Road towards the roundabout. Take the second exit down Albert Road and you will see St. Mary’s Stadium half a mile down this road.

From the East:

Exit the M27 at Junction 8 and join the A3024 towards Southampton. Follow the A3024 for approximately 6 miles. After you have crossed over Northam Bridge, turn left at the second set of traffic lights (before the railway bridge) into Britannia Road. St. Mary’s Stadium is visible at the end of this road.

Car parking:

There is hardly any parking available at the stadium for away fans and there are parking restrictions in force for the local area. Most fans head for the city centre car parks and then take the 15-20 minute walk to the stadium. NOTE: After the game the roads around the city centre become almost grid locked, and it can take over an hour to get away.

Alternatively, you can park around the Marina area (Ocean Village) and then take the ten minute walk to the stadium. Parking in this area has the advantage that at the end of the game, you can avoid the city centre gridlock, by heading along the coast on the A3024 and then onto the M271/M27.

Another alternative is to park in Woolston (on the other side of the Itchen Toll Bridge) where there is plenty of street parking, and take the 15-20 minute walk from there to the stadium over the Toll Bridge. To get there, you leave the M27 at Junction 8 and follow the A3025 to Woolston.

The Bargate NCP car park at the junction of Palmerston Road and Houndwell Place is only a 10-min walk to the stadium.

Park & Ride:

There is a park and ride service, but it is only operated from two hours before kick-off and costs £5. It is situated just off junction 8 of the M27 and there are clear AA signs for the Visitors’ Park and Ride car park which is opposite a big Tesco superstore.

After the match visitors have to mingle with the home fans to reach transport and the City Centre.

By shuttle bus:

In addition to the park and ride service there are shuttle bus services operating from the rail station (Commercial Road side outside Blechynden) and Town Quay Ferry terminal (main bus stop).

By train:

The stadium is located around one and a half miles away from Southampton station (where there is also quite a large car park), which should take about 30 minutes to walk.

Turn left out of the station's southern entrance and walk up Western Esplanade, which becomes Civic Centre Road. Remain on the Civic Centre Road and walk between the Civic Centre and the Marlands Shopping Centre. Eventually a crossroads is reached with the Nationwide Building Society on one corner and Lloyds Bank on another. Cross into New Road and follow this road across a park and past a college. Eventually you will reach a complex road junction with a number of traffic lights. Cross Kings Way into Northam Road and follow this road for quarter of a mile until you reach the ground on your right. There are signs provided by the local council, which direct fans from the station to the ground.

You can also walk to the ground from St Denys Station, which is about a 25 minute walk away. This area also has some good pubs. Leave the station on the platform 4 (South Western Arms Pub side) and proceed past the pub, which is on your right and continue on down this road, past the Junction Inn and over the Horseshoe Bridge (this goes over the railway.) Take the next left, Dukes Road and follow this for about 3/4 of a mile past various industrial units and round past Mount Pleasant School, which is on your right. At this T-junction turn left into Mount Pleasant Road and walk over the railway (NOTE: If the train gates are down use the footbridge - you can sometimes wait here for 20 minutes). You then continue along this road, which changes into Radcliffe Road, past the mosque on your right and this road will take you all the way down to the underpass to the Stadium. This is the most direct route. If you want to visit the Dolphin Pub, you exit the Station on Platform one side using the bridge across the road and the Dolphin is directly in front of you. To visit the Bevios Castle pub, follow the directions into Dukes Road and half-way down this road is a right turn, this will take you out into Bevios Valley, turn left and the pub is about 3 minutes walk away on a road junction on the right. To get to the stadium from here you can either walk up the hill following the road continuously, past the hospital and the fire station on your left, when you reach the main road, Northam Road, cross and pass through the bridge to the ground. Alternatively you can walk down the hill and take the first right, Mount Pleasant Road and follow the directions as from St Denys Station above.

Where to eat:

There are plenty of fast food vans on route to the stadium and also in the stadium car parks.

Inside the stadium is the usual range of pies (was Hollands but not sure if it is now) burgers and hot dogs is available.

There are plenty of food outlets in the Marina area (Ocean Village).

Where to drink:

Alcohol is served within the stadium.

There are not many pubs located close to the stadium, so the choice is limited. Closest to the Stadium in Northam Road (walk away from the Stadium up Britannia Road past the Gas Tanks and turn left), you will find the King Alfred, which has an upstairs area for away fans (home fans downstairs). Walking in the other direction down Britannia Road past the Stadium and into Albert Road North, you will find the Chapel Arms. A predominantly home supporters’ pub, but away fans are welcomed if arriving early.

Real ale connoisseurs, need look no further than the Bevois Valley area (see below).

Noted pubs:

The Coopers Arms on Belvedere Road (5-10mins walk away from the ground). Good for both home and away supporters and is amongst the closest to the away coaches dropping off point in Britannia Road through the local industrial estate.

Nearby is the Waterfront Bar in William Street, which is an area called Shamrock Quay.

To the south of the Stadium and City Centre, in the Ocean Village, there is the Admiral Sir Lucas Curtis, with a good choice of beers and a convivial mix of both home and away fans.

In the city centre there are plenty of pubs to choose from and above Bar Street and High Street there are the usual Yates, Hogshead, Weatherspoon and Walkabout outlets, which normally attract a mixture of home and away fans.

NOTE: A lot of the bars in the City Centre which would normally welcome accompanied children in dedicated areas do not do so on match days.

Noted City Centre pubs:

The Prince of Wales

The Station

The Eagle

The Anchor' (next to the East Street indoor shopping centre)

The Slug & Lettuce is next door to the Yates outlet.

NOTE: If you do drink in the centre, the stadium is a good twenty minutes walk away.

Bevois Valley area pubs:

The Bevois Castle (reported to serve a “fantastic full breakfast”).

Off Bevois Valley, in Earls Road, you will find the Guide Dog, which is arguably the best Real Ale Pub in Southampton. A small single room pub serving seven real ales, as well as breakfast baps and rolls - get there early on match days as it will fill up. Both are friendly pubs which welcome away fans.

If travelling by train, you may want to consider alighting at St Denys Station, visit the South Western Arms (next to the station) and then the Guide Dog, which is a 15 minutes walk away. The Stadium is then a further 15 minutes or so on from there.

Map of the Area:

For a map showing the location of the ground click here:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=44292...searchp=ids.srf

Attractions in the area:

In the city there is the West Quay Shopping Centre, the city walls and the waterfront (Town Quay is a good viewing point if a liner arrives whilst you are in the city).

For anybody with an interest in aviation, there is Solent Sky incorporating the R.J. Mitchell Museum in Albert Road South, near Ocean Village which, amongst the aircraft exhibits, includes a Short Sandringham flying boat and a Supermarine Spitfire.

For music fans, it is always worth checking out what bands are playing at the Joiners Arms in St. Mary’s Street. This mainly indie/alternative venue.

Westwards, the New Forest contains many picturesque towns and villages including Brockenhurst, Beaulieu, Burley, Lyndhurst and Lymington. Once off the main roads, you are very likely to come across ponies and a selection of cattle, donkeys and pigs wandering around villages, countryside lanes and heathland.

At Beaulieu, you will also find the National Motor Museum, suitable for a day with the family.

Further along the coast, Bournemouth is no longer thought of as a resort for the elderly. It now has a more modern feel with its clubs and bars attracting custom from a large area.

To the east is Portsmouth, which reflects its naval roots as home to the first iron-hulled, armoured battleship, HMS Warrior, as well as, Nelson’s flagship, HMS Victory. The Spinnaker Tower also provides spectacular views of the Solent.

Other family attractions in the area include Paultons Family Theme Park off of Junction 2 of the M27 and Marwell Zoo, twelve miles from Southampton (six miles from the historic City of Winchester).

If you fancy a short break overseas, you can always visit the Isle of Wight. Regular Ferry Services operate from Town Quay.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Thanks, but no thanks.

You sure? I know two navy types out there who know how to treat a lady, or man. Jolly good time boys who know to keep their mouths shut. I sail by night to avoid the embarresemt of overactive anal glads and drink only to forget.

PM me for more details and I will confirm with Omar and Earl that we'll crash at theirs.

You sure? I know two navy types out there who know how to treat a lady, or man. Jolly good time boys who know to keep their mouths shut. I sail by night to avoid the embarresemt of overactive anal glads and drink only to forget.

PM me for more details and I will confirm with Omar and Earl that we'll crash at theirs.

:lol: :lol:

Yeah, go on then.

anybody seriously considering attending this game?

Myself, Lee Sinnott and razza699 are going to head to the match on route to a little bonding session on the Isle of Wight. If your the type of guy who can keep a secret and knows how to handle a either a spanner or a deep fat fryer then you can come.

PM me for details as Omar and Earl only have so many beds.

Myself, Lee Sinnott and razza699 are going to head to the match on route to a little bonding session on the Isle of Wight. If your the type of guy who can keep a secret and knows how to handle a either a spanner or a deep fat fryer then you can come.

PM me for details as Omar and Earl only have so many beds.

I feel touched ritchie , or I will do

• 2 weeks later...

If you're looking for a pub with food before the match The Old Farmhouse, 39 Mount Pleasant road should be suitable. Also it's not far from these pubs in the areato the North of the stadium:

Bevois Castle, 63 Onslow Road.

Guide Dog, 38 Earl's Road.

Hobbit, 134 Bevois Valley Road (open until 2:00am!).

Giddy Bridge, 10-16 London Road (Wetherspoon pub).

After the match, in the area to the South of the stadium, you'll find:

Chapel Inn, 40 Albert Road (Saints memorabilia pub open until 11:00pm).

Frog & Frigate, 33 Canute Road (open until 4:00am!! Restricted access after 1:30am).

Cheers Diego. I will meet you and the Mrs at the Travelodge with Lee Sinnott. I have just purchased the double rubber sheet, cattle prod and baby grow you requested.

Rumours that the Earl that is to meet and film is Earl Barrett are not true.

Until then keep it on DL.

Cheers Diego. I will meet you and the Mrs at the Travelodge with Lee Sinnott. I have just purchased the double rubber sheet, cattle prod and baby grow you requested.

Can't wait. I've got my lube just in case.

You had to overdo it by getting Lee Sinnott involved - Mrs. S. had enough of him at Norwich, so all arrangements are cancelled!